Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson and his metaphorical fridge

(91 Posts)
Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 19:53:29

Johnson is coming to Scotland later this week.

He can't even be arsed bothered to meet the woman running the show.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58079390

He's not just a buffoon, he's a rude, disrespectful buffoon.

Or is it just me who thinks that? I expect he's too busy, learning how to use an umbrella, or something like that.

Alegrias1 Fri 06-Aug-21 15:28:47

people

Alegrias1 Fri 06-Aug-21 15:33:25

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-fish-scotland-b1897552.html

Jimmy Buchan once stood as Tory Candidate for the Banff and Buchan constituency. Maybe he's seen the light.

Scottish Seafood Association chief executive Jimmy Buchan challenged Mr Johnson over the number of staff lost to the industry as a result of Brexit

Mr Buchan was also among the sector leaders to tell the PM his EU trade deal, which allowed EU fleets largely unchanged access to UK waters until 2026, had fallen “far short of expectations”.

GillT57 Fri 06-Aug-21 16:30:15

Douglas Ross is what my wise granny would have called 'sleekit'.

Alegrias1 Fri 06-Aug-21 16:39:20

My DH says he's a typical football referee. Runs around while things happen round about him but thinks he's important.

(Apologies to any referees on here smile )

Yammy Fri 06-Aug-21 16:48:14

I give up as well, unknown to many Scots quite a lot of English people are not keen on Boris Johnston either even though they voted Conservative but there was no one else or was there I think there is someone quietly waiting in the wings in England two stars for guessing. BJ [What unfortunate initials] appeals to some people because he is an oaf and boorish it's the way a lot would act. A lot of English wouldn't mind you getting independence but they never give us a referendum to show what we feel about it.
Yes, I do know about the 20c Scottish renaissance and where the Glasgow boys went to paint.
I think we all have to agree to disagree and have a good weekend.
British and Irish Lions against the South Africans. At last a joining of nations in a happy way.

Alegrias1 Fri 06-Aug-21 17:11:27

I think many Scots are aware that there are lots of English people who don't rate Johnson - just as there are some Scots who do!

Enjoy the rugby Yammy

Dinahmo Fri 06-Aug-21 17:17:40

I'm not intending to be rude about Scotland but the Scots that I've met have no idea how much we know about Scottish culture.

We were on holiday with a group of Scots (it was a tour organised by a Scottish company) and we mentioned Mackintosh. We had been up to Glasgow in the early 70s and visited the School of Art where we were shown their collection of his work. At that time it was stuffed into a small room which also contained a plan chest with his work and others such as Jessie M King. They thought that no one knew about him, apart from the Scots.

Alegrias1 Fri 06-Aug-21 17:25:40

Just saying this again .... I said that many of my husband's clients know next to nothing about Scottish history. I didn't say where those clients were from confused

Wheniwasyourage Fri 06-Aug-21 17:27:04

You need to meet some more of us, Dinahmo! A lot of us have got friends and family in England and know that there is a lot of knowledge on both sides about each others' country. Doesn't stop some of us being keen on independence though, whether or not we are SNP supporters.

Kali2 Fri 06-Aug-21 19:21:12

So one of his close entourage tested Covid + on arrival in Aberdeen and Johnson refused to isolate and continued with his schedule !?!

Oldbat1 Fri 06-Aug-21 21:38:36

Yes I read that about the aide testing positive. They shared close spaces with Johnson. BJ should have isolated - Scottish rules are different no matter what he says. I despair. CNN news was commenting on it.

Marketkat Sat 07-Aug-21 08:01:14

I despair, I detest Johnson with a vengeance, he’s egotistical, self interested and is the worst PM we’ve ever had, the worst PM in one of the worst crisis facing our country.. I’ve lived in Scotland all my adult life, born in the north of England, independence is the only way to go, I would prefer a labour government but it’s not going to happen, so SNP for me. NS is far from perfect but I think she is at least forward looking and a coherent speaker and works hard for the country and what she believes.

Alegrias1 Sat 07-Aug-21 08:16:18

Hang in there Marketkat. SNP (or Green) till we're independent, then the world's our oyster. ?

Marketkat Sat 07-Aug-21 08:27:44

Oh I do hope so. ?

Kali2 Mon 09-Aug-21 20:43:25

I wish this young man success - and I can't wait. Very proud to have helped with funding too. About time:

youtu.be/kqzHfiSvrlo