Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cameron and Greensill, anyone see Panorama?

(28 Posts)
GillT57 Tue 10-Aug-21 13:20:46

It all looked pretty conclusive, if not, bring on the libel lawyers. Fake invoices, fake clients. Cameron was either complicit or too stupid/lazy to bother with the details and happy to be paid to appear as a credible person to convince people to invest in a massive fraud. Add to that his pathetic attempts to meet with current Tory cabinet members to pump us, the taxpayer for funds, and the whole thing stinks. I sincerely hope he ends up bankrupt and imprisoned for fraud.

Chardy Fri 13-Aug-21 04:41:11

Have watched the Panorama programme a second time, and might be even more shocked than before.
I'm not a natural Panorama person, but if you haven't seen it, I urge you to.

PippaZ Thu 12-Aug-21 10:08:10

GillT57

Cameron has been accurately described as educated beyond his intelligence.

I'm not sure why anyone should be surprised by that. We keep asking an elite to govern the country and not a meritocracy.

Cameron is who he is in part because of who his parents were; Starmer because of merit. However, if you ask the voters which personality traits they want in a politician they, in the majority, go for the extravert and against openness to experience. We see them wanting someone who knows 'what the standards are', e.g., a suit, tie and standing up for the National anthem; such mannerisms denote a particular sort of background.

These outward shows win out over competence. Starmer seems to lose ground because of his competence. We saw May traduced for that characteristic. Vast swaths of the electorate have been prepared to overlook the incompetence of Cameron and later Johnson. To them, knowing the system the elite perpetuates scores higher.

MerylStreep Thu 12-Aug-21 09:25:11

Chardy
If by your statement but isn’t shaking Gransnet you refer to the fact that there isn’t much footfall on this subject all I can say is that every person I’ve spoken to ( and it’s a lot) are absolutely incensed with what’s going on.
Lots of members don’t like to air their political opinions on GN.
I’ll probably never vote again for the simple reason that I’m too old for someone decent/believable to come around in my lifetime.

25Avalon Thu 12-Aug-21 09:23:37

Who said the old boy network was dead? The IEA was founded in 1955 so has been around a long time and has offshoots such as Freer. Of course major industries and businesses are going to want to be involved as politics affect their economic turnover. The tobacco industry has diversified to survive but they didn’t want plain cigarette packets which is really no surprise so they turn to IEA to try and influence policies. Coca Cola and Tesco’s are amongst others said to support it. There is a lot going on we don’t know about and it is quite complex. Personally I am struggling to take it all on board.

I have never been a fan of David Cameron. He has sailed close to the wind on many occasions. I do also wonder about Nick Clegg as his Lib Dem coalition partner. Look where he is now. Not sure he stands close scrutiny. In fact I am very suspicious of all our leaders over the years. Are none honest!

NotSpaghetti Thu 12-Aug-21 09:23:09

Chardy, this IS a scandal but I suppose the fact that it's not "shaking Gransnet" as it should is because, sadly, we have come to expect it of recent politicians. It's hard to post on a thread where everyone agrees and has no solutions. So many others believe the lies and bluster that they minimise or overlook the dodgy dealings. We need to get this corrupt bunch of charlatans out - but there needs to be somewhere for current Tory voters to go.

Deeply depressing.

Alegrias1 Thu 12-Aug-21 09:09:51

I have no problem with people paying for their children's education.

I do. But that's a whole different thread grin

schoolsweek.co.uk/a-levels-2021-results-private-schools-state/

Chardy Thu 12-Aug-21 08:55:56

Any PM is the most influential person in the country. That Cameron subsequently used his PM influence for massive personal gain is a national scandal, but isn't shaking Gransnet. That's sad.

GillT57 Wed 11-Aug-21 22:42:11

For the record, I have no problem with people paying for their children's education. I am grateful however, that mine achieved what they have by dint of their own hard work and intelligence, not through chums they went to school with. I do however, have a problem with the high percentage of MPs who were privately educated. Too small a pool.

GillT57 Wed 11-Aug-21 22:38:14

Cameron has been accurately described as educated beyond his intelligence.

PippaZ Wed 11-Aug-21 22:11:14

No Maisie I think that different children and young people will react differently. For example, Johnson seems to have come from a very dysfunctional family. That must have had some influence on his development.

Beard is giving his personal view on his schooling. Do you thinkall your fellow pupils would describe having the very same experience of your school that you did? Nothing is ever that sweeping.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 21:47:18

Three generations of mixed public/state school in our family, no shits MaizieD

MaizieD Wed 11-Aug-21 21:28:21

PippaZ

MaizieD

And to revert to Cameron, having read Richard Beard's article in the Observer (there's a link to it on the Education Forum) I'm not in the least bit surprised that he's lacking in the qualities that make for a decent human being... It's a Public school thing, isn't it. They're taught to be sh*ts.

I don't think all those who went to "Public School" are taught to or learn to be ^sh*ts*. It is vital to accept that while some turn out as we have seen described, the majority do not. To suggest they all do is rather like saying all boys living in areas of deprivation join gangs, break the law and kill people.

What happens if society blames all those educated at a Public School? It allows those who behave not only badly but illegally to feel unaccountable for their conduct.

You think that Beard is exaggerating?

PippaZ Wed 11-Aug-21 21:25:11

MaizieD

And to revert to Cameron, having read Richard Beard's article in the Observer (there's a link to it on the Education Forum) I'm not in the least bit surprised that he's lacking in the qualities that make for a decent human being... It's a Public school thing, isn't it. They're taught to be sh*ts.

I don't think all those who went to "Public School" are taught to or learn to be ^sh*ts*. It is vital to accept that while some turn out as we have seen described, the majority do not. To suggest they all do is rather like saying all boys living in areas of deprivation join gangs, break the law and kill people.

What happens if society blames all those educated at a Public School? It allows those who behave not only badly but illegally to feel unaccountable for their conduct.

varian Wed 11-Aug-21 20:18:02

Yet more dodgy dealing involving David Cameron

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9882817/David-Cameron-landed-genomics-giant-Illumina-123m-contract-writing-Hancock.html

Blossoming Tue 10-Aug-21 20:04:26

I wanted chaos with Ed.

Grany Tue 10-Aug-21 19:59:13

Dishonest Cameron saying in leadership election campaign
"There will be no top down reorganisation of the NHS" In 2012 he did precisely that.

Dennis Skinner got him right Dodgy Dave. Hope he gets his just deserts.

Jabberwok Tue 10-Aug-21 18:33:28

Both my cousins were public schoolboys and neither of them were taught to be, or are/ were sh##s. One went into teaching,and was instrumental in the founding of an Orphanage in India. Sadly this cousin died of cancer,but the orphanage is flourishing. The second, his younger brother is a clergyman responsible for two parishes, and well respected in both of them. So I do take slight exception at this generalisation.

MoorlandMooner Tue 10-Aug-21 18:29:21

“That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. They condemned millions of first-class people to semi-starvation. Now the Tories are pouring out money in propaganda of all sorts and are hoping by this organised sustained mass suggestion to eradicate from our minds all memory of what we went through. But, I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying now. Do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. He is a very good salesman. If you are selling shoddy stuff you have to be a good salesman. But I warn you they have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse than they were.”
Aneurin Bevan 1948.

MaizieD Tue 10-Aug-21 18:07:21

MaizieD Tue 10-Aug-21 18:02:13

That will be the IEA who complained to Ofcom that James O'brien had claimed on air that it is a politically motivated lobbying organisation funded by dark money?

Ofcom said that the facts discussed on LBC (by O'Brien) were not distorted...grin

GillT57 Tue 10-Aug-21 16:41:11

They don't even try to cover it up anymore. If there is ANY justice in this country,Cameron should be being interviewed by the Fraud Squad and HMRC.

Grammaretto Tue 10-Aug-21 16:39:03

as you all say there isn't an ounce of integrity or decency in his body. I haven't forgiven him for allowing Brexit. The man's an ... Apparently the reason why Boris was determined to be PM was that he had seen DC being voted in who he thought was a moron at school (Eton) if he can do it, surely I can.

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Aug-21 16:37:12

Here's some info about the IEA in case anyone's interested.
tobaccotactics.org/wiki/institute-of-economic-affairs/

Quote from this link:
In May 2019, 32 Conservative MPs were named as linked financially, directly or indirectly, to the IEA by a BMJ investigation. Several members of Boris Johnson’s administration, who became Prime Minister on July 2019,1024 have links to the IEA, including Dominic Raab (Foreign Secretary), Priti Patel (Home Secretary), Jacob Rees-Mogg (Leader of the House of Commons), Matt Hancock (former Health Secretary), Theresa Villars (Environment Secretary), and Kwasi Kwarteng (Minister of State in the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy).

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Aug-21 16:32:50

I didn’t see it but did read about it. It’s so obvious that it’s hardly worth a comment.

Exactly what we would have expected of this lot.

The next thing will be (I hope) the dirt on the (allegedly) corrupt Institute of Economic Affairs which purports to be a charity but which takes funding from the tobacco industry etc and (apparently) sells access to ministers.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Aug-21 16:25:12

I wish someone would add up the amount of money this shower have fleeced or wasted from the tax payer.