Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit

(354 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:08:36

The emergency Brexit powers for lorries has been made permanent as the government expects further and more serious disruption.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 15-Aug-21 18:02:23

Sometimes I just browse through these threads to see if it’s the same old people harping on about the same old stuff. Lo and behold....it is!

I’d give up if I were you Holysox. It’s not worth the rise in blood pressure.?

Alegrias1 Sun 15-Aug-21 18:30:28

HolySox

Alegrias1

Ohh, here's another one:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%932016_United_Kingdom_renegotiation_of_European_Union_membership

This is quite relevant: ^In the EU deal there was a statement specifically exempting the UK from "ever closer union".^

Very interesting but irrelevent. The vote was leave or remain.

Like the old saying goes...

I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with facts. ?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 15-Aug-21 18:40:40

Alegrias1

HolySox

Alegrias1

Ohh, here's another one:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%932016_United_Kingdom_renegotiation_of_European_Union_membership

This is quite relevant: ^In the EU deal there was a statement specifically exempting the UK from "ever closer union".^

Very interesting but irrelevent. The vote was leave or remain.

Like the old saying goes...

I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with facts. ?

Why didn’t you say that at the beginning? It would have saved a lot of time....and energy. Energy that we can’t afford to be using?

So...when is the next Climate change thread?

Alegrias1 Sun 15-Aug-21 18:42:29

Oh. You're clever ?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 15-Aug-21 19:01:27

Awww...thanks Alegrias. Means so much coming from you ?

Dinahmo Sun 15-Aug-21 19:06:47

HolySox Maybe you should have been better informed about the EU that you obviously were.Some/many of us knew about the exemptions, some of which were negotiated by Thatcher.

It's very sad that people who had done little or no research should continue to lecture those of us who have done quite a bit and disseminated it over the last few years on GN.

growstuff Sun 15-Aug-21 19:08:36

DiscoDancer1975

Sometimes I just browse through these threads to see if it’s the same old people harping on about the same old stuff. Lo and behold....it is!

Good job there are loads of other areas on GN. Why bother yourself with something which obviously makes you angry?

HolySox Sun 15-Aug-21 19:09:35

DiscoDancer1975

I didn't expect anything less. Was just curious as to the 'gang's' thoughts on sovereignty. Every EU treaty has been a chip away at UK sovereignty but it seems this lot aren't worried. In fact, they would be happy with a Federal Europe. Except for Scotland...

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 15-Aug-21 19:10:44

growstuff

DiscoDancer1975

Good job there are loads of other areas on GN. Why bother yourself with something which obviously makes you angry?

It doesn’t make me angry. Quite the contrary. It amuses me.?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 15-Aug-21 19:14:30

HolySox

DiscoDancer1975

I didn't expect anything less. Was just curious as to the 'gang's' thoughts on sovereignty. Every EU treaty has been a chip away at UK sovereignty but it seems this lot aren't worried. In fact, they would be happy with a Federal Europe. Except for Scotland...

‘ the gang’. Aren’t they just. Just like at school. As a fellow Christian, we both know at some point it’ll be one world government at some point anyway. Could be thousands of years off yet. I’m sure we’ll find it on google though, if we look hard enough ?

HolySox Sun 15-Aug-21 19:23:22

Dinahmo

HolySox Maybe you should have been better informed about the EU that you obviously were.Some/many of us knew about the exemptions, some of which were negotiated by Thatcher.

It's very sad that people who had done little or no research should continue to lecture those of us who have done quite a bit and disseminated it over the last few years on GN.

Wasn't aware I was lecturing! Certainly not compared to the 'gang'. Just sharing my thoughts.

Sorry, don't think I'll be relying on using GN to get 'the facts' on any political issue - the 'gang' hammer anyone with a different opinion or allow a discussion to develop.

Dinahmo Sun 15-Aug-21 19:28:36

It's 75 years since WW2 and we have not been involved in a war in Europe against our neighbours and former antagonists since then. I think that you have to go back as far as 1897/98 and the Cretan Rebellion when Britain, together with France. Italy and others supported Cretan Revolutionaries against the Ottoman Empire.

We have fought in many wars since WW1 the world over, usually in conjunction with one or more of our allies -sometimes the US and Canada and sometimes other European countries and sometimes both.

Dinahmo Sun 15-Aug-21 19:33:10

Well, I consider myself to be part of the gang and no, I don't think anybody gets hammered (unlike me a few weeks ago on a different post)

As has been said so many times before, we are trying to put actual, genuine information over, often with links and maybe to sources of which you are unaware. I don't expect anybody to rely wholly on GN for getting facts.

growstuff Sun 15-Aug-21 19:52:29

DiscoDancer1975

HolySox

DiscoDancer1975

‘ the gang’. Aren’t they just. Just like at school. As a fellow Christian, we both know at some point it’ll be one world government at some point anyway. Could be thousands of years off yet. I’m sure we’ll find it on google though, if we look hard enough ?

This sounds fascinating. What does being a Christian have to do with the EU? Please could you explain. I'm genuinely interested.

Alegrias1 Sun 15-Aug-21 19:53:11

Hi gang - the logo T-shirts have arrived. I'm working on the secret handshake so I'll update you all as soon as possible.

(I'm in a Republican gang as well, oh it is nice to be popular wink)

Anyway, developing discussions....does that mean just saying "oh of course, I'm sure you're right" when someone posts unsubstantiated twaddle, or does it actually mean putting forward your argument and then posting some actual facts to back it up?

Answers on a postcard...

growstuff Sun 15-Aug-21 19:54:02

DiscoDancer1975

growstuff

DiscoDancer1975

It doesn’t make me angry. Quite the contrary. It amuses me.?

So what are complaining about? You presumably read for laughs. I'm sure people are pleased to bring a little sunshine into your life. hmm

growstuff Sun 15-Aug-21 19:54:58

Alegrias1

Hi gang - the logo T-shirts have arrived. I'm working on the secret handshake so I'll update you all as soon as possible.

(I'm in a Republican gang as well, oh it is nice to be popular wink)

Anyway, developing discussions....does that mean just saying "oh of course, I'm sure you're right" when someone posts unsubstantiated twaddle, or does it actually mean putting forward your argument and then posting some actual facts to back it up?

Answers on a postcard...

Some people won't need a postcard - a postage stamp would do!

Alegrias1 Sun 15-Aug-21 19:56:12

Oh, I missed the Christian bit....there's a gang I'm glad not to be in....

Never mind the facts, we know the Truth....

Dinahmo Sun 15-Aug-21 20:07:44

Alegrias1

Oh, I missed the Christian bit....there's a gang I'm glad not to be in....

^Never mind the facts, we know the Truth....^

Stop making me laugh. My sides are beginning to ache.

varian Wed 18-Aug-21 18:23:14

Andrew Adonis thinks that this brexit disaster will be reversed within a generation.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-reverse-rejoin-vote-b1871139.html

I wish I could be so confident. I find it difficult to imagine the other 27 EU countries trusting us enough to allow us to rejoin

GillT57 Wed 18-Aug-21 19:21:39

This sounds fascinating. What does being a Christian have to do with the EU? Please could you explain. I'm genuinely interested

As am I.

varian Thu 19-Aug-21 11:50:16

Emergency Brexit powers for lorry queues to be made permanent

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/10/emergency-brexit-powers-for-lorry-queues-to-be-made-permanent

So much for the "bumps in the road"!!!

varian Thu 19-Aug-21 15:46:35

The curse of Brexit strikes again – this time it’s hitting the UK book industry

www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-books-copyright-authors-b1904778.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly_Engaged_Acquisition%202021-08-19&utm_term=IND_Marketing_CDP

MerylStreep Thu 19-Aug-21 21:36:16

It appears that Elon Musk is still looking at the uk to build his electric car giga factory.
Environmentalists have won a court case to stop the land being
stripped of trees.
This from a country that opened a coal mine last year.
The business community in Germany aren’t happy.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 14:12:40

Staff shortages are really beginning to bite.

The Isle of Wight has run out of social care staff, others therefore must be struggling.
Hauliers are struggling
Farmers are struggling
Meat processors are struggling