Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit

(353 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:08:36

The emergency Brexit powers for lorries has been made permanent as the government expects further and more serious disruption.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:09:56

Phone roaming charges have been reinstated.

One of the many lies told by brexiters who said that would never happen

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:10:29

My milk is not being delivered due to the shortage of drivers.

Ashcombe Wed 11-Aug-21 07:17:46

A double whammy for our economy : Brexit and Covid! Plus the lack of integrity on the part of our government.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:18:00

Took dog to see vet yesterday and had a chat.

Apparently there is a critical shortage of vets because of Brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:21:37

The “teething troubles” have turned into a permanent crises.

NotSpaghetti Wed 11-Aug-21 07:52:28

Nothing surprises me Whitewavemark2. I'm sure, in time, we'll become used to it and find a way through but it does feel a bit like biting one's own arm off (not that I've tried that!!).

Polarbear2 Wed 11-Aug-21 07:55:54

I’ve tried to type something smart but you know - I don’t have decent words for this any more. It was and still is a criminal thing to do to our country.

Lincslass Wed 11-Aug-21 08:04:23

Whitewavemark2

One of the many lies told by the providing phone companies who said they wouldn’t do this, and who do not need to do this. This is about money grabbing, nothing else.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:06:31

The failure to align with the EU over standards will allow cosmetic firms to once again use animals.

What new hell is this?

Lincslass Wed 11-Aug-21 08:08:22

Whitewavemark2

Took dog to see vet yesterday and had a chat.

Apparently there is a critical shortage of vets because of Brexit.

Funny my lovely Spanish dentist is still here, and the local Blue cross still has its Romanian vet. My brother has never had a problem at his dogs vet practice. Perhaps it’s just where you live, we welcome those EU citizens who have stayed,

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:09:34

No it is nationwide apparently

silverlining48 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:10:26

Prices are rising, second hand cars now more expensive. because there is a shortage of catalytic converters fir new cars. supermarket prices up and food and drink in pubs and restaurants have soared.
Just listening to special status food , apparently we are on our own in that too.
All I can say is Not in my Name!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:14:12

If you live in Europe, there is no shortage of anything except stuff that has been affected by the weather (climate change?)

Shelves and markets overflowing.

Many fields in U.K. left to rot because of picker shortage.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:15:24

Whitewavemark2

The failure to align with the EU over standards will allow cosmetic firms to once again use animals.

What new hell is this?

Cosmetic firms have always been allowed (especially the expensive skin care/make-up companies) to test on animals and if they export to China the products have to be tested on animals.

To check which products are not tested this way there is a free app bunnyfree .

Lincslass Wed 11-Aug-21 08:15:39

Whitewavemark2

What new hell is this?

Who said our standards would fall. Have you seen how pig farmers in Poland are allowed to get away treating their animals. In fact we banned animal testing in 1997, well before the EU in 200 something.
www.thefactsabout.co.uk/.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:16:08

Whitewavemark2

No it’s not!!!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:19:00

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

No it’s not!!!

Perhaps you’d like a word with my vet?

Any comment on the hell that is being enforced on Kent?

MaizieD Wed 11-Aug-21 08:19:51

Lincslass

Whitewavemark2

One of the many lies told by the providing phone companies who said they wouldn’t do this, and who do not need to do this. This is about money grabbing, nothing else.

Perhaps you'd like to explain why the phone companies can do this now, but couldn't before 1st Jan 2021, Lincslass?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:21:17

I remember a brexiter saying that the acid test on Brexit was fishing.

Failed

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:23:26

You can't distract from the fact that we are thinking of allowing animal testing for cosmetic products for the first time in more than quarter a century by saying "Oh, but look at Poland!". We led the EU in making animal testing illegal, now we're going backwards.

The arguments of the Brexiters/Tories/people with heads in the sand/whatever just get more bizarre by the day.

Never mind, I'm sure it will all iron itself out, as if by magic.

growstuff Wed 11-Aug-21 08:23:49

Lincslass

Whitewavemark2

It's about making a profit, which is what businesses do, unless laws stop them, which being in the EU did.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:24:14

Whitewavemark2 respectfully, perhaps you would like a word with my European Vet, Dentist and GP…

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Aug-21 08:24:41

Good news about Salt marsh lamb, which of course previously had EU status and was protected throughout Europe.

Now it is protected in the U.K.

That is all.

Petera Wed 11-Aug-21 08:24:54

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

No it’s not!!!

Just google it. It's nationwide