Gransnet forums

News & politics

Traditional landlines set to be axed in next four years in major shake-up

(67 Posts)
Butterfly32 Sun 15-Aug-21 20:30:29

Traditional landlines set to be axed in next four years in major shake-up

Groups have warned that the elderly and vulnerable could struggle with the change

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/traditional-landlines-set-axed-next-21316886

Callistemon Sun 15-Aug-21 20:38:00

I do prefer the landline for a proper chat. Mobiles have their place but so do landlines.

DS did say that, if the landline rings it's either DIL's Mum or me grin

Thoro Sun 15-Aug-21 20:40:10

That would mess me up - no mobile network coverage in most of my house!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 15-Aug-21 20:43:38

That will be interesting, we have Broadband via our landline as we have very poor mobile reception, unless we walk down the road, round the corner and stand under a particular tree.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Aug-21 20:48:21

I'm still getting to grips with my new fangled landline handset.
Too complicated for me!!

MerylStreep Sun 15-Aug-21 20:50:26

Oopsadaisy
? very funny.
Maybe not for you, though.

MaizieD Sun 15-Aug-21 21:07:20

Oopsadaisy1

That will be interesting, we have Broadband via our landline as we have very poor mobile reception, unless we walk down the road, round the corner and stand under a particular tree.

But you can get phone calls on your mobile through the internet. Someone I know who has no mobile signal does just that.

The thought of total dependence on the internet does worry me somewhat. I think it would have to be much more secure than it is at present and not vulnerable to being cut off, accidentally or on purpose.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Aug-21 21:07:36

It seems to be that my entire family just use their mobiles - except me, of course. I'd need a far better mobile without the home phone!

kittylester Sun 15-Aug-21 21:14:00

We have dreadful signal - the village has poor signal and out house has granite walls. We us our land line but also mobiles via wifi.

Deedaa Sun 15-Aug-21 21:21:42

For some reason the mobile reception is very poor inside the house so I always use the landline if I'm settling down for a conversation.

Chewbacca Sun 15-Aug-21 21:41:46

I have a landline now as part of my internet package but I never use it for incoming calls and I ignore it if it rings because everyone I know would call my mobile. The GC had never seen a landline phone until I got this one and they were intrigued by it's handset! grin

25Avalon Sun 15-Aug-21 21:43:13

I was advised, a few years back admittedly, to keep a landline phone ready to plug in and use in an emergency, in case the electricity was down or the mobile server was down.

welbeck Sun 15-Aug-21 21:46:29

well they said they were getting rid of cheques some years ago, until there were great protests.
my neighbour leaves out a cheque to pay her milkman.
maybe this will be delayed too. i hope so.
i like my phone number.
i have already been offered money to change it. refused.
i also prefer speaking on a landline.
and have call guardian on it. can't do that on mobile.
only have a basic mobile. can't afford a fancy one. have not topped up my mobile since last year, still have about £40 on it.

beth20 Sun 15-Aug-21 21:48:52

Oh goodness, my mum (86) will never be OK with this. She manages a daily e-mail using a desk top computer but has refused to even think about a mobile phone. Hope someone develops one with really big buttons.

Jaxjacky Sun 15-Aug-21 22:01:17

I suggest you check your ‘news’ source OP
uk.trustpilot.com/review/manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Pittcity Sun 15-Aug-21 22:03:07

You can use a mobile phone like a landline simply to make and receive calls. The only difference is that you won't need the actual wiring. They won't just cut people off with no signal.
Remember when they switched to digital TV? We couldn't get Freeview signal before the switch but they improved it.
If you have broadband you can use that instead of mobile signal.
It could be cheaper too as you can pay a few pounds a month for unlimited calls.
It could also be safer to have your mobile near you at all times.
As for charging just leave it in a charging cradle, the same as most landlines.

I don't see a problem.

Witzend Sun 15-Aug-21 22:03:30

What about the areas with no mobile reception?
My sister nearly bought a house in Cornwall with no mobile reception early last year.

Pittcity Sun 15-Aug-21 22:07:00

Yes you can get Call Screening on a mobile Welbeck Just Google how to do it on your make of phone.

growstuff Sun 15-Aug-21 22:18:04

I have a plug in landline handset for use when there's a power cut. I had to use it when we were without electricity for nearly two days and I couldn't use the internet nor charge my mobile. I wouldn't be happy for this to happen until the whole country has much better reception and there's some kind of back up plan for power cuts.

Ashcombe Sun 15-Aug-21 22:24:16

Thoro

That would mess me up - no mobile network coverage in most of my house!

Likewise!

MerylStreep Sun 15-Aug-21 22:29:15

Jaxjacky

JaxJacky
Perhaps read this from BT.
TrustPilot is a joke.
business.bt.com/insights/digital-transformation/uk-pstn-switch-off/

welbeck Sun 15-Aug-21 22:36:19

Jaxjacky

it has been widely reported and is kosher.
did you check your sources for suggesting it is not ?

The UK's PSTN network will switch off in 2025 | BT Businesshttps://business.bt.com › insights › digital-transformation
We plan to have moved everyone over before Openreach stop the PSTN (and ISDN) service in 2025. By then, every phone line in the UK will be digital

welbeck Sun 15-Aug-21 22:39:31

apparently, if i have understood it correctly, i can keep my landline number, and have all calls redirected to a mobile ?
that makes me feel a bit better.
want to keep the number.
there is a lot of information on the bt link, re items other than phones, eg alarms, entryphones etc. worth a read.

Zoejory Sun 15-Aug-21 22:42:01

I have lost my landline phone. It used to be in the cloakroom but it appears to have disappeared. Can't remember the last time it was used. Must be about 10 years ago now.

growstuff Sun 15-Aug-21 22:45:45

Have I got this right?

The big change will be the way the signal is delivered ie digitally and not through wires. People can keep their landlines, although they might need new handsets.

Or have I misunderstood completely?