Gransnet forums

News & politics

Passports; a warning of unexpected expiry

(12 Posts)
GillT57 Wed 18-Aug-21 14:09:26

There are a few changes to passport validity due to Brexit. Most of us are aware of the 6 month rule whereby you must have at least that left before the end of your trip, this is customary for USA and other places, now necessary for Europe. The surprise one, to me at least, is the the date that the counting is from. The example I read was; Passport expiry July 2011, renewed early, new expiry date of April 2022 to allow for unused time. Passport control turned the passenger away as the 10 years now counts from original expiry date ie July 2011, add on time not being counted. I will try to find FO reference, but just a quick warning for those booking a trip to Europe.

Lucca Wed 18-Aug-21 14:15:05

I have read that twice and I still don’t understand ?

Annie1962 Wed 18-Aug-21 14:18:49

Brexit!! So many changes now, when entering the UK now we have border control, more checks etc! I wonder if the public had been told the truth, I.e. all the new rules and price increases? Would they have voted YES, I’m so anti-brexit! Major problems ahead due to this!

GillT57 Wed 18-Aug-21 14:19:41

Sorry! It is quite complicated!

Passport expiry July 2011
Renewed early so new expiry is April 2022
Passport control now count passport validity from original expiry date of July 2011, thus passport 10 years runs out July 2021.

The 6 month rule is exactly the same as for USA so if for example you are now popping over to Majorca for a week's holiday, your passport must not expire before end of February 2022 assuming you are travelling in August 2021.

Two separate buggerations restrictions.

Brexit Bonus eh?

Lucca Wed 18-Aug-21 14:28:02

Thank you for your patient explanation. Sounds bonkers to me though !

GillT57 Wed 18-Aug-21 14:29:40

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Please note, any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum period needed..

From Gov.uk website.

I would suggest that anyone considering a trip to Europe checks on the website above, it would be awful to do all the covid19 tests and then get turned away.

Welshwife Wed 18-Aug-21 15:05:46

Basically it means that you no longer get the unexpired time on your old passport added to your new one - bit of a fiddle really - OK if you are able to wait till the last month on the old passport to renew.

Jaxjacky Wed 18-Aug-21 16:06:55

Welshwife yes, this changed in September 2018, quite a long time ago.

GillT57 Wed 18-Aug-21 19:24:26

Did it? The woman who posted on my local FB page about getting turned away at Gatwick didn't know. Oh well, I just thought I would warn anyone planning on a trip soon. As you were.

Lucca Wed 18-Aug-21 21:46:35

GillT57

Did it? The woman who posted on my local FB page about getting turned away at Gatwick didn't know. Oh well, I just thought I would warn anyone planning on a trip soon. As you were.

Just saw this same story on my FB page posted by someone in Gloucestershire!

Framilode Thu 19-Aug-21 05:45:11

Instead of looking at the expiry date start with the issue date. Add 10 years and then deduct 6 months. This tells you when the passport expires for Schengen countries.

GillT57 Thu 19-Aug-21 13:46:32

Framilode

Instead of looking at the expiry date start with the issue date. Add 10 years and then deduct 6 months. This tells you when the passport expires for Schengen countries.

That's what I was trying to say!