Gransnet forums

News & politics

“Recollections may vary”. Harry and Meghan (again - I know!)

(508 Posts)
MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 07:36:38

This may be a pot shot too far, now they seem to be including the Queen in their self- righteous whingeing.
(Not that I am biased)
Apparently Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe the Queen failed to take “full ownership” of the race allegations made in their interview with Oprah Winfrey, according to the authors of the unauthorised biography Finding Freedom.
A “friend of the couple” (unnamed, of course) has apparently told Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand that the Queen’s lack of action had prevented the Duke and Duchess from moving on from the claims.
The source also suggested that the Queen’s assertion that “recollections may vary” had not gone down well.
(It did however rank IMHO as one of HM’s all-time greatest bons mots )
The Queen has until now been one of the only senior members of the Royal family to escape the Sussexes’ criticism, but this new epilogue to Finding Freedom, published in People magazine in the US, suggests that the Duke and Duchess feel frustrated that the Duke’s grandmother did not follow through with her promise to address their concerns.
It says: “The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment ‘did not go unnoticed’ by the couple, who a close source said were ‘not surprised’ that full ownership was not taken
Just one question, if this book is “unauthorised”, does it or does it not reflect their views? Or is it an example of letting somebody else put words in their mouths so that they can deny them afterwards if necessary? All these “unnamed friends,” and “close sources” - aye, right.

lemsip Thu 23-Sep-21 11:38:29

yes, the word 'adorable' very much meghan's input.

Jaberwok Thu 23-Sep-21 12:40:04

Yuk, what sentimental tosh, I can only imagine what Prince Philips reaction would be at being described in this way?! It is curious that one minute they were terrible patents, leading to P.C being another terrible parent, the next minute they are as described , adorable! I sometimes think that Prince Harry isn't all there, and really doesn't understand or remember what he says or does! Very sad.

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 13:24:16

I sometimes think that Prince Harry isn't all there, and really doesn't understand or remember what he says or does!
Yes, and sadly we also see a lot of that in his comments on climate change and mental health. In order to be credible he needs to stick to what he really believes as a person, not what he believes other people want to hear.

maddyone Thu 23-Sep-21 13:30:34

Oh dear, I didn’t know Harry had said his grandparents were/are adorable. How disingenuous of him. One day they’re rubbish parents, the next they’re adorable apparently. I don’t think that will impress the Queen and it certainly wouldn’t have impressed Prince Philip. Maybe a bit of sweetening up ready for the possibility of that Windsor christening? Just saying hmm

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 13:49:55

I'm assuming he said it on the Prince Philip programme last night I have taped?

Smileless2012 Thu 23-Sep-21 14:26:56

Yes he did Josianne

SueDonim Thu 23-Sep-21 14:30:38

Omg, if any of my GC ever describe me as adorable I’d probably slap ‘em round the face with a wet fish! How patronising!

Smileless2012 Thu 23-Sep-21 14:31:59

SueDonimgrin

Anniebach Thu 23-Sep-21 14:47:50

It was an opportunity to get on tv , he would say anything

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 14:53:30

I'm sad, yes I know, but I found this is the M & H book.
In fact, Markle found this texting etiquette of Harry's “funny and adorable, just like the prince himself”.
Something tells me she also described The Queen as "adorable" when asked in the engagement interview, ir even the Oprah interview?
Obviously a favourite word of Meghan's as you say lemsip.
My puppy is "adorable" when I have him under control at my heels.

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 14:55:58

SueDonim

Omg, if any of my GC ever describe me as adorable I’d probably slap ‘em round the face with a wet fish! How patronising!

SueDonim ?

Babies and small children can be adorable (sometimes) but not adults and certainly not grandparents!!

Grany Thu 23-Sep-21 15:02:53

Fancy Wills says GD taught them to squirt mustard on the ceiling what jolly fun especially as the servants would have to clean it all off after them. Not that I've seen this RF talk about PP just on twitter.

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Sep-21 15:06:34

"Adorable" is barely a "grown up" word.

Made me chuckle though.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Sep-21 15:20:39

Something tells me Prince Philip would most certainly not have used the word adorable to describe Meghan!

I suspect it would be unprintable!

Anniebach Fri 24-Sep-21 18:06:04

grany your post Sept.21 is proof that one can so easily find lies on Twitter.

Calendargirl Fri 24-Sep-21 18:36:28

Anniebach

grany your post Sept.21 is proof that one can so easily find lies on Twitter.

To be fair to Grany, William, Peter Phillips and Zara all spoke about the squashing of the mustard tubes, resulting in messy ceilings. I, too, mused on who cleaned them afterwards, not Prince Philip I suspect.

Anniebach Fri 24-Sep-21 18:49:59

Yes they did, they said he played a joke with the mustard, they
did not say ‘he taught them to squirt mustard on the ceiling’

varian Fri 24-Sep-21 19:27:55

Titled and entitled folk don not generally have to clean up their own mess.

Callistemon Fri 24-Sep-21 20:28:31

varian

Titled and entitled folk don not generally have to clean up their own mess.

No, it is so liberating!

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 20:57:27

It certainly is Callistemon.....many a time I have hurled a vase down the staircase at Lemongrove Manor just for the hell of it ( or at the retreating back of Lord L) secure in the knowledge that old Dudders ( ancient family retainer) will have to go for the brush and pan.

Josianne Fri 24-Sep-21 21:19:40

Grany

Fancy Wills says GD taught them to squirt mustard on the ceiling what jolly fun especially as the servants would have to clean it all off after them. Not that I've seen this RF talk about PP just on twitter.

Grany is actually correct on this one.
Zara and Peter confirmed it too.

Callistemon Fri 24-Sep-21 21:46:21

what jolly fun especially as the servants would have to clean it all off after them

We just get the room redecorated

Callistemon Fri 24-Sep-21 21:49:58

Actually, having squirted mustard from one of those Colman's old-fashioned tubes, one could not exert enough force for the mustard to reach the ceiling.

It must be a family myth!

Anniebach Fri 24-Sep-21 21:58:12

grany is not correct, they did not say ‘he taught us to Squirt mustard on the ceiling* .

Calendargirl Sat 25-Sep-21 06:51:34

Well, whatever the details, the ceiling still ended up with mustard over it, someone would have to clean it up even if a stain remained.

Glad the Royals don’t holiday in my house, I have enough cleaning without tackling mustard covered ceilings.

Sounded rather juvenile and a waste of mustard.