Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Anger of Parliament (temporary)

(115 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Aug-21 12:30:20

Whilst GNHQ remove the other thread in order to “look” at it, I thought we ought to continue with such an important subject as this is one of the worse crises we’ve experienced since Suez.

GillT57 Sat 21-Aug-21 14:52:05

Dinahmo: good post by Marina Hyde, thanks.

Callistemon Sat 21-Aug-21 14:26:28

Whitewavemark2

What will happen now is that both Russia and China will now step into the sphere of influence.

History will show this to be a major turning point in world power and influence by the East.

I think that was already happening but this is another step on the way.

Lucca Sat 21-Aug-21 14:22:23

Do I get a sense that at least one poster on here would have preferred the previous POTUS…?

GillT57 Sat 21-Aug-21 13:40:55

varian

Propensity to believe unsubstantiated right wing propaganda is not necessarily evidence of senility.

You may think so Varian, but I couldn't possibly comment. With thanks to House of Cards!

varian Sat 21-Aug-21 13:40:29

Although I suppose as most GNetters are getting on a bit, some could be "bordering on senility"

varian Sat 21-Aug-21 13:39:12

Propensity to believe unsubstantiated right wing propaganda is not necessarily evidence of senility.

varian Sat 21-Aug-21 13:37:33

There is no evidence that Joe Biden or Jabberwok for that matter are bordering on senility.

GillT57 Sat 21-Aug-21 13:21:20

Jabberwok

I do understand that their President is bordering on senility and needs replacing.

At least Biden has some sort of excuse, if Jabberwok's amateur diagnosis of senility is to be believed. What is Johnson's? Raab's?

PippaZ Sat 21-Aug-21 12:51:37

That wasn't quite what I meant.

lemongrove Sat 21-Aug-21 12:49:11

If the President is incapacitated in any way ( physical or mental) then the Vice Pres would take over temporarily which am sure that everybody knows.

Jabberwok Sat 21-Aug-21 12:48:50

I do understand that their President is bordering on senility and needs replacing.

PippaZ Sat 21-Aug-21 12:44:12

Jabberwok

Well that's a relief. Getting ready to take over? - Maybe?

I don't think you understand the USA and it's culture, Jabberwok.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Aug-21 10:02:20

I had to grin at was clearly a WhatsApp sent around to the faithful, who are now telling the country what a workaholic Raab is???

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Aug-21 09:59:29

Dinahmo

A link to Marina Hyde's column in yesterday's Guardian. She's hit the nail on the head as usual.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/20/dominic-raab-foreign-secretary-global-britain

Hyde hits the nail on the head every time.

It is always worth reading her column.

Smileless2012 Sat 21-Aug-21 09:54:22

I agree lemongrove there's been talk of a special relationship with America for many years, but little to substantiate any validity in the claim, especially on a political level.

Dinahmo Sat 21-Aug-21 09:31:31

A link to Marina Hyde's column in yesterday's Guardian. She's hit the nail on the head as usual.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/20/dominic-raab-foreign-secretary-global-britain

lemongrove Sat 21-Aug-21 09:12:45

Yes, she was there, although she didn’t say anything and Biden didn’t seem to know who she was.He gestured at her and called her ‘the General’.It’s worrying.
As you say jabberwock hopefully both parties will field somebody younger next time around.

Jabberwok Sat 21-Aug-21 09:09:33

Well that's a relief. Getting ready to take over? - Maybe?

GillT57 Fri 20-Aug-21 23:23:59

Jabberwok. The VP was beside Biden today.

MaizieD Fri 20-Aug-21 23:04:07

I think he'll have to resign.

The Foreign Office is briefing against him (latest thing, in the Mail, is that he only reads a small percentage of his briefs), the media is mostly against him, and a lot of the public aren't very happy.

If the media weren't against him I would rate his chances of staying in post far more highly...

PippaZ Fri 20-Aug-21 20:28:03

I should have said this is a post on the Law and Policy Blog.

PippaZ Fri 20-Aug-21 20:26:45

I'll quote the next bit.

In an ideal polity, all ministers - all of the time - would be under the same critical scrutiny as to the performance of their duties as Raab is now.

And our political system would be better for it.

But most of the time - almost all of the time - such practical accountability does not happen

Ministers get things wrong constantly, but they are usually protected.

And this is because no other minister or official wants him or her out, and/or the media will protect him or her, and/or the public are not sufficiently interested so as to make this a story.

So they are often safe.

And this is the difference between a political resignation or sacking story in the news - and there not being one.

This is the accountability gap.

With a government that currently thinks democracy is just to make them wealthy and powerful I cannot think of a truer picture to paint.

PippaZ Fri 20-Aug-21 20:10:42

I have just been reading that, without there being those in government opposed to the Foreign Secretary, the media would not have been provided with the material that supports the argument that he should go.

Also there are some in the media, who could be expected to support the government, who have come out against him.

Also a significant number of the public care.

You have to wonder what he has done to upset the first two so much.

varian Fri 20-Aug-21 19:21:02

Well, he was on his holidays, wasn't he?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Aug-21 18:42:00

Apparently