Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Anger of Parliament (temporary)

(115 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Aug-21 12:30:20

Whilst GNHQ remove the other thread in order to “look” at it, I thought we ought to continue with such an important subject as this is one of the worse crises we’ve experienced since Suez.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Aug-21 09:59:29

Dinahmo

A link to Marina Hyde's column in yesterday's Guardian. She's hit the nail on the head as usual.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/20/dominic-raab-foreign-secretary-global-britain

Hyde hits the nail on the head every time.

It is always worth reading her column.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Aug-21 10:02:20

I had to grin at was clearly a WhatsApp sent around to the faithful, who are now telling the country what a workaholic Raab is???

PippaZ Sat 21-Aug-21 12:44:12

Jabberwok

Well that's a relief. Getting ready to take over? - Maybe?

I don't think you understand the USA and it's culture, Jabberwok.

Jabberwok Sat 21-Aug-21 12:48:50

I do understand that their President is bordering on senility and needs replacing.

lemongrove Sat 21-Aug-21 12:49:11

If the President is incapacitated in any way ( physical or mental) then the Vice Pres would take over temporarily which am sure that everybody knows.

PippaZ Sat 21-Aug-21 12:51:37

That wasn't quite what I meant.

GillT57 Sat 21-Aug-21 13:21:20

Jabberwok

I do understand that their President is bordering on senility and needs replacing.

At least Biden has some sort of excuse, if Jabberwok's amateur diagnosis of senility is to be believed. What is Johnson's? Raab's?

varian Sat 21-Aug-21 13:37:33

There is no evidence that Joe Biden or Jabberwok for that matter are bordering on senility.

varian Sat 21-Aug-21 13:39:12

Propensity to believe unsubstantiated right wing propaganda is not necessarily evidence of senility.

varian Sat 21-Aug-21 13:40:29

Although I suppose as most GNetters are getting on a bit, some could be "bordering on senility"

GillT57 Sat 21-Aug-21 13:40:55

varian

Propensity to believe unsubstantiated right wing propaganda is not necessarily evidence of senility.

You may think so Varian, but I couldn't possibly comment. With thanks to House of Cards!

Lucca Sat 21-Aug-21 14:22:23

Do I get a sense that at least one poster on here would have preferred the previous POTUS…?

Callistemon Sat 21-Aug-21 14:26:28

Whitewavemark2

What will happen now is that both Russia and China will now step into the sphere of influence.

History will show this to be a major turning point in world power and influence by the East.

I think that was already happening but this is another step on the way.

GillT57 Sat 21-Aug-21 14:52:05

Dinahmo: good post by Marina Hyde, thanks.

MerylStreep Sat 21-Aug-21 14:52:21

I trust/hope Biden keeps his word on defending Taiwan.
Listening today it appears they are worried.

lemongrove Sat 21-Aug-21 15:55:54

I doubt that any poster on here would prefer Trump as POTUS but quite a few are worried by Biden.He was the least worse choice for the job, but that’s not saying much.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Aug-21 15:57:45

There was someone on yesterday saying that the USA can no longer be trusted to come to a countries aid.

He rather thought that Taiwan and Japan may well consider becoming a nuclear power .

25Avalon Sat 21-Aug-21 16:29:46

It’s a toss up Lemongrove. I think I would prefer Trump. Other countries need to perceive the US as being strong. The humiliating situation in Afghanistan means Russia and China will take control. It’s a very worrying situation. Biden doesn’t look well and even CNN are criticising him. Is there no one to step up to the mark?

MayBee70 Sat 21-Aug-21 18:29:19

So Trump deciding to pull US forces out of Afghanistan and releasing Taliban leaders from prison was perceived by the rest of the world as ‘strong’?

Alegrias1 Sat 21-Aug-21 20:18:36

Well said MayBee70.

If anyone wants to look for "strong", maybe this quote from the youth of Afghanistan will fit the bill.

Front page of the Times website tonight.

PippaZ Sat 21-Aug-21 20:24:48

Whitewavemark2

There was someone on yesterday saying that the USA can no longer be trusted to come to a countries aid.

He rather thought that Taiwan and Japan may well consider becoming a nuclear power .

No surprise there I'm afraid Whitewave. The US, like any other country, will only fight if it perceives it to be is in its interest.

Many seem to see it as "Daddy Bear". A country that will care what happens to us and help us when we things are going wrong. It isn't. Part of this is because many of their leaders have been geographically illiterate - as are a large chunk of their population. They have no idea who, what or where we are.

As for our "relationship" with America, it is close if they can house their weapons here; especially if we pay for the making of them so we can call them our own.

It is only the British who emphasise the close foreign policy relationship with the US. They just mouth the words as a pat on the head in passing. The idea that we have a common language is laughable. It certainly doesn't lead to a common understanding. Even our ideals are differently based. And we have all seen the growing version of "democracy" in the US.

We do have someone who was an American citizen until 2016 as PM - and what good is that going to do us? I'm sure the majority can now see that it will only be for the few, while many will starve or die because they can't afford American style medical bills.

As a leading country in the EU, we had far more equality and influence with the US. We have thrown that away which is exactly why we were left picking up the pieces in Afghanistan and why they didn't bother to involve or inform us - we are just the tail of the US dog.

And this is what we have for leaving a growing economic block with people who are far nearer in outlook to us than the Americans, where we could lead and have sway. I will always despair when it comes to the lack of knowledge that about a third of our country has that makes them think we are closer to America than the European continent in any way whatsoever.

PippaZ Sat 21-Aug-21 21:04:05

Jabberwok

I am going to report this as fake news unless you post something to substantiate it. Spreading rumour is just gossip. So please give some reference to what you have so far said about President Biden's health. Repetition of a lie does not make it the truth and I hope GN are going along with other bigger forums in removing such things.

I will look again later to see what you can prove about this.

Lucca Sat 21-Aug-21 22:39:11

lemongrove

I doubt that any poster on here would prefer Trump as POTUS but quite a few are worried by Biden.He was the least worse choice for the job, but that’s not saying much.

25Avalon Sat 21-Aug-21 16:29:46 “ . I think I would prefer Trump”

I rest my case m’lady.

Maudi Sun 22-Aug-21 07:30:44

21:04PippaZ Yesterday
Google Biden and senile. plenty of hits saying they think he is. Personally I think he is unfit for office. I also think the Afghanistan crisis is all down to him and his advisors. Trump would have handled the withdrawal better.

nanna8 Sun 22-Aug-21 07:45:31

For foreign policy I think Trump was better but not for policies in general. Biden is what he is- right wing masquerading as left wing. Pretty poor show that a country like that cannot put up a better President.