Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Anger of Parliament (temporary)

(115 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Aug-21 12:30:20

Whilst GNHQ remove the other thread in order to “look” at it, I thought we ought to continue with such an important subject as this is one of the worse crises we’ve experienced since Suez.

Lucca Sun 22-Aug-21 08:38:43

Ok so that is three posters preferring Trump.

Whatdayisit Sun 22-Aug-21 08:45:26

Alegrias1

Well said MayBee70.

If anyone wants to look for "strong", maybe this quote from the youth of Afghanistan will fit the bill.

Front page of the Times website tonight.

And this is what is so hard to cope with we have left them to stand alone.
Raab is indefensible in this he has failed and should be sacked. Yet again the PM defends this lack of professionalism.
A cabinet of entitled cads.

MaizieD Sun 22-Aug-21 08:46:48

Google Biden and senile. plenty of hits saying they think he is.

Google J Corbyn and anti-semitic, google Bill Gates & covid vaccination, google George Soros and just about anything and you will get plenty of hits saying complete and utter unsubstantiated rubbish.

Trump released this evil on us; more importantly, he released it on the people of Afghanistan. What was in his addled brain when he did it I've no idea. Biden has handled it appallingly, but what a poisoned chalice he was given...

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Aug-21 08:55:24

I’ve copied this that I posted on another thread

The point being I think is that Biden is right to end the USA and allies acting as colonising military, but it is the WAY it is being done is the issue.

Of course the biggest problem Biden was been presented with is the fact that TRUMP negotiated ONLY WITH THE TALIBAN thus indicating that he expected them to be the main players in Afghanistan after the soldiers had left.
The Taliban had the wind behind them and the confidence that they were not going to be prevented by the allies.

It would be incredibly difficult - as is evidenced - for anyone to prevent what is the heir apparent crowned by Trump.

PippaZ Sun 22-Aug-21 08:58:23

Maudi

21:04PippaZ Yesterday
Google Biden and senile. plenty of hits saying they think he is. Personally I think he is unfit for office. I also think the Afghanistan crisis is all down to him and his advisors. Trump would have handled the withdrawal better.

What you think is "unfit for office" is still not the truth. All it tells us is you don't like the mans politics. Nor is what Googling far-right and salacious media tells you a "fact".

This is a fact:

Dr. Kevin O’Connor of The George Washington University released a three-page medical summary of Biden's health on Tuesday at the request of his patient, in which he described Biden as a “healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old male, who is fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency to include those as Chief Executive, Head of State and Commander in Chief.”

This was an official medical that all Presidents of America have to have. It is not the words of plotters and conspirators prepared to back a coup against democracy. Those, in America, are part of a Fifth column; a group of subversives who have already once attempted to undermine that nation's democracy and are happy to use you to do the same.

If at any time, he has got a problem it will also be recorded and reported by the doctors, not idiots who make up and report on such rubbish.

You may ask why I care. I care because the undermining of one democracy undermines all democracy which you and your partners in spreading gossip seem happy to do.

PippaZ Sun 22-Aug-21 08:59:34

MaizieD

^Google Biden and senile. plenty of hits saying they think he is.^

Google J Corbyn and anti-semitic, google Bill Gates & covid vaccination, google George Soros and just about anything and you will get plenty of hits saying complete and utter unsubstantiated rubbish.

Trump released this evil on us; more importantly, he released it on the people of Afghanistan. What was in his addled brain when he did it I've no idea. Biden has handled it appallingly, but what a poisoned chalice he was given...

Exactly.

lemongrove Sun 22-Aug-21 11:17:11

Biden did not have to go about it the way he has done....he is now being criticised by many people and many countries, quite rightly.He ignored advice by his military commanders.
It’s a mess entirely brought about by different US Presidents.

PippaZ Sun 22-Aug-21 12:01:30

We write history about what comes before, what happens and what comes after. The analysis of this catastrophe will include the action of peripheral actors.

Some on Gransnet seem to want to paint out some individuals such as Johnson and Trump. They have had or do have political power and/or authority. They have engaged in activities that can have a significant influence on decisions. Their policies, media coverage, and outcomes associated with Afghanistan have contributed to the current chaos. They are part of the story.

We need to be honest about what has happened. All around the world citizens are recognising the changes moving them from democracy to totalitarianism. Voters need to equip themselves with a truthful understanding. With such an extreme form of capitalism as our country has, a totalitarian government - more than we already have under this Tory Goverment - is just as likely as it is in a communist one is elsewhere, or one ruled by religious totalitarianism.

GillT57 Sun 22-Aug-21 12:34:46

lemongrove

I doubt that any poster on here would prefer Trump as POTUS but quite a few are worried by Biden.He was the least worse choice for the job, but that’s not saying much.

Interesting point Lemon, I too have pondered this. Why, out of the millions of people, were the USA faced with the choice of Trump again, or Biden? I am delighted that Trump was not elected, but horrified by how close the vote was. Are these two honestly the best that USA can produce for such an important office? All that money spent on education and this is what they get? This is I suspect a big enough subject for another thread though

Welshwife Sun 22-Aug-21 12:42:03

Once again it comes down to money though doesn’t it - who can finance the long haul to get nominated and who has enough personal finance or backers to take them all the way. A number of candidates pulled out of the last race due to lack of funds.

Callistemon Sun 22-Aug-21 12:46:55

. Why, out of the millions of people, were the USA faced with the choice of Trump again, or Biden?
I've pondered that, too, GillT57 and lemongrove
With a population of 330+ million is this all that is on offer?

The conclusion was that very few would want the job.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Aug-21 12:51:09

What about our lack lustre incompetent lot?

Our choice is no better

PippaZ Sun 22-Aug-21 14:41:22

GillT57

lemongrove

I doubt that any poster on here would prefer Trump as POTUS but quite a few are worried by Biden.He was the least worse choice for the job, but that’s not saying much.

Interesting point Lemon, I too have pondered this. Why, out of the millions of people, were the USA faced with the choice of Trump again, or Biden? I am delighted that Trump was not elected, but horrified by how close the vote was. Are these two honestly the best that USA can produce for such an important office? All that money spent on education and this is what they get? This is I suspect a big enough subject for another thread though

It was the same in this country, for many European countries and others.

Perhaps we need to know why this is happening here. Were Johnson and Corbyn the best we can produce? Many people ended up voting for who they felt was the least worse.

Many highly successful people don't need the world to be their stage. Perhaps it is the fact that the media has to have a headline on everything that causes the "wrong" type of politician ... or is it something else?

25Avalon Sun 22-Aug-21 15:13:46

Johnson got in on the Brexit ticket. Polls ask me who I will vote for next and I reply idk. All politicians seem very lacklustre so much so I think a lot of people are losing interest. But then the ones we thought brilliant like Harold Wilson and Tony Blair weren’t so brilliant. I think I’m just becoming a terrible cynic.