Gransnet forums

News & politics

Refugees

(87 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 10:01:57

Reflecting GN exactly - reading it top to bottom or bottom to top.

Which are you?

Lucca Mon 23-Aug-21 10:05:08

How clever !

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 10:07:11

This should help you decide whether you are a humanitarian or a self centred, selfish, self obsessed egoist

Shelflife Mon 23-Aug-21 10:08:42

Thank you for that Whitewavemark2, I am most definitely a ' bottom to top'
person.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Aug-21 10:12:47

Bottom to top, full on
I m am daily conscious that I have had no control in where I was born and could be one of those women giving their precious baby away to a soldier in the hope they would survive
However I doubt anyone on here would dare to say therapy were a top to bottom person would they !!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 10:17:43

BlueBelle

Bottom to top, full on
I m am daily conscious that I have had no control in where I was born and could be one of those women giving their precious baby away to a soldier in the hope they would survive
However I doubt anyone on here would dare to say therapy were a top to bottom person would they !!

Oh I don’t know. Many have in the past. I would not expect such moral cowardice from egoists as they generally have no self awareness, so do not understand empathy or humanitarianism.

The excuse is generally “look after our own first”

But if course they don’t really mean that as people like Raab and Patel like to think that the poor are undeserving as being the worst idlers in the world.

PippaZ Mon 23-Aug-21 10:21:55

Some people are so clever aren't they. Bottom to top for me.

PippaZ Mon 23-Aug-21 10:29:20

If you don't think anyone would say they are a top to bottom person Bluebelle, you should listen to a programme that was on Radio 4 at 9.30 a.m. It was called The Age of Denial - The Threat to Progress.

I explains how people justify holding views contrary to proven facts/knowledge. It tells us a great deal about our current problems.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Aug-21 10:31:21

I am These are people just like us that line resonated with me.

Definitely bottom to top.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Aug-21 10:32:39

So well written

Namsnanny Mon 23-Aug-21 10:33:15

Why would anyone admit to top to bottom?

PippaZ Mon 23-Aug-21 10:37:49

Remember, those who are top downers fear what will happen if we have "more" refugees and asylum seekers. The "top to bottom" narrative gives all the reasons they have made up and cling to in order to, they believe, prevent what they fear.

The liars are those who encourage and provide fake substantiation for the fake "facts.

Ro60 Mon 23-Aug-21 12:16:39

Thank you WW. So clever.
I hope these refugees will be integrated quickly into our society without long waits to re-qualify for the jobs they were doing & "Right to Work" paperwork.

We will need more interpreters & support workers - schools especially, medical staff, catering, I'm sure there are many more.

sodapop Mon 23-Aug-21 12:21:08

Very well written Whitewave both up and down are truly representative of people's feelings about the refugee problem.

3nanny6 Mon 23-Aug-21 12:27:08

That was very well written and we hope everyone will be humanitarian.

I have watched much of the sadness and chaos going on in Afghanistan and when I hear that not all of the people will get out I think that surely they can all come to U.K although I think that may be an impossibility. As I watched yesterday I was thinking that other places can take some of them perhaps Spain, Greece, or Italy and just as I thought Italy the broadcaster said an Italian flight had just taken off with many onboard so something at least. What about Gibraltor or is it too far away. Anywhere they can go as they cannot be left there.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 12:30:53

We need people like vegetable pickers and meat processing, they could be so useful doing these jobs. Apparently turkeys will be in short supply because there is no one to care for them or to process them.

GillT57 Mon 23-Aug-21 13:17:20

We must not assume that all refugees are suitable only for fruit picking or meat processing though WWMk2, many will be doctors, teachers, shopkeepers, just like anywhere. Subject to language help, I would like to think that these people can integrate into all positions in society, and get on with their lives.

GillT57 Mon 23-Aug-21 13:18:21

Oh, and great post! That upside down list is very poignant.

AGAA4 Mon 23-Aug-21 13:33:37

A man who fled Afghanistan years ago aged 15 unable to speak English is now a doctor. We need these people to fill all the vacancies in the NHS, haulage and hospitality. We should be welcoming them with open arms.
Definitely bottom to top for me.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 13:43:56

GillT57

We must not assume that all refugees are suitable only for fruit picking or meat processing though WWMk2, many will be doctors, teachers, shopkeepers, just like anywhere. Subject to language help, I would like to think that these people can integrate into all positions in society, and get on with their lives.

Absolutely! I so agree.

lemongrove Mon 23-Aug-21 13:44:55

GillT57

I agree.
The many Afghan interpreters speak English well and of course could help other Afghan refugees here with any language problems which would be very useful.

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Aug-21 13:58:46

I like to think I'm a bottom to top person, but the practical side of me can also see the problems of importing such a different culture into our own en masse. City folk would probably be able to integrate more easily, but even then where I live the vast majority of schools are C of E. And the ones I would really want to get out are the women and children. And then what about the Syrians. Should they not all come too if they wish? Not to mention Somalia. And ...

There has to be some criteria. And what checks can there be on the backgrounds of those coming in the short time frame available.. I gather ISIS is already becoming a problem. A small distraction on the tarmac and a suicide bomber on a rescue plane. But I know, I have too vivid an imagination and it couldn't possibly happen.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 14:06:11

dumpling Rather thinking you have too vivid a imagination I suspect it is quite the opposite. You are assuming a single culture, and schools that are not open to all faiths. You couldn’t be more wrong, Cof E schools welcome children of all faiths and none.

Your posts sounds like so many examples of moral panic that we see all for no reason.

varian Mon 23-Aug-21 14:17:31

So clever and acutely observed. I can hear these "bottom to top" voices ringing in ,my ears and have done more and more since 2016.

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Aug-21 21:08:52

I am well aware that C of E schools welcome all faiths WW, but not all faiths want to sent their children to Christian schools. And I really do hope that there is no reason for panic, moral or otherwise.