Gransnet forums

News & politics

Refugees

(88 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Aug-21 10:01:57

Reflecting GN exactly - reading it top to bottom or bottom to top.

Which are you?

NotTooOld Mon 23-Aug-21 22:30:17

A terrorist on the 'no-fly' list has already arrived in England from Kabul. It was on the news this afternoon. S/he landed at Birmingham airport. Have not heard yet if s/he is in custody or free. This is why the armed forces are having to check papers very carefully. Obviously not carefully enough in this case.

Ro60 Tue 24-Aug-21 00:04:10

Heard on Newsnight that it's ok - false info.

Ro60 Tue 24-Aug-21 01:45:23

Sky News say person was arrested at BHX airport.

DiamondLily Tue 24-Aug-21 08:09:01

He was arrested, as he is on a “no fly” list, but was released after being considered safe by security services.
metro.co.uk/2021/08/23/afghanistan-person-on-no-fly-list-evacuated-to-uk-amid-confusion-15141061/

Sarnia Tue 24-Aug-21 08:16:57

DiamondLily

He was arrested, as he is on a “no fly” list, but was released after being considered safe by security services.
metro.co.uk/2021/08/23/afghanistan-person-on-no-fly-list-evacuated-to-uk-amid-confusion-15141061/

Let's hope they're correct, then. There have been far too many people killed in atrocities carried out by suspected terrorists who were deemed 'safe'.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Aug-21 08:24:18

Sarnia

DiamondLily

Let's hope they're correct, then. There have been far too many people killed in atrocities carried out by suspected terrorists who were deemed 'safe'.

That’s right and all by British born nationals.

PippaZ Tue 24-Aug-21 10:00:24

I wonder how many good people have come into the UK in this last crisis caused by the western world?

And look at the only one posters are discussing!

I have a feeling there are many "silent" top to bottomer's on GN. In fact, we know there are from the Brexit debacle.

This conversation feels very Johnathan Swift. Swift used the big-endians and little-endians and their continuous war to represent the Catholics and Protestants. Two groups with belief in the same God but determined theirs was the only route to reach Him.

Perhaps that's what we have here, although I feel too involved with standing up for people fleeing desperate lives to work it out - sadly.

polnan Tue 24-Aug-21 11:32:20

hmmm!?

ALANaV Tue 24-Aug-21 11:38:39

OK ....all good messages BUT where are we going to put all these new incomers ? already accommodation is in short supply with all those arriving on the beaches ....yesterday there was a warning that some of these asylum seekers have been found carrying guns .........what !!! who are we letting into this country ? In years gone by we welcomed refugees from all countries ...Jewish people integrated very well and on the whole caused no problems and carried on their own religion whilst otherwise becoming valuable members of society. Likewise the Ugandan asian who arrived when Idi Armein threw them out .......and the Asian people who arrived have made useful and valuable contributions to society, many becoming doctors, nurse and are valued. BUT the latest batches of those coming to the UK appear to have little idea of western culture, continue to demand different food, have a different religion and beliefs as to the clothes they wear ...I lived in France where the Burka is forbidden ....a good thing, a of course it immediately stands out so everyone knows that the wearer is a follower of a certain religion and therefore a target of any one who disagrees with their beliefs, If all these people are to come to the UK then insistence must be made that they make all attempts to integrate and not stand out. Teachers and social services are overloaded already with numbers of children that do not speak English in their classes. In other countries (such as France) schools insist that children wishing to join the education system from other countries must be taught the language before they can join the school. This often involves (for English speakers) private lessons paid for by the parents. Quite right too ! All those from any country who assisted the British forces in interpretation etc should be first in line for help in re locating and something has to be done to relieve the already enormous tax burden as well as the overwhelming of the NHS, Social Services, housing and education that will happen ...and sadly there are already generations of British citizens living here for all their lives who are unable to access social care, medical treatment, housing, etc ...........no mention has been made of helping them .....the fact that people are living on the streets and having to see all incomers being offered a roof over their heads, money, education and medical care must be horrendous ...no wonder the suicide rate is increasing, I am glad I don;t have to solve this problem !

SillyNanny321 Tue 24-Aug-21 11:59:34

My only problem with helping all these that do need help is where do we house them all safely? We have so many people living rough & many families in terrible rental properties. Will these incomers feel safe & welcome? I hope so but do think it should be accepted by other countries that we are only a small island & that bigger countries with more room should think about taking more . Does this make sense as I worry that these poor people will be out of the frying pan & into the fire if we try to take too many? Wish we had the room for them all but logically we do not. Very sad!

Goldencity Tue 24-Aug-21 12:09:54

Some of my experiences.
We live in France and travel regularly back to the U.K.
The refugee situation at the channel ports is a real problem- last time we used the Caen crossing to Portsmouth- we followed a lorry into Ouistream from the perifique round Caen, as we left the fuel carriageway and at every roundabout there were well organised gangs of African looking males- from what looked like 12 years old. They climbed on the back of moving trucks, on the top, got inside. It was actually pretty scary - at the port we saw many young men being dragged out of lorries by the duannes. We no longer park up in the town or by the beach before crossing.

I go to a language class in our local town/ French for foreigners. Lots of different nationalities- all learning French and about French culture. To get their “carte de sejour” they have to pass an exam in French, written and spoken.
Who would you turn away? The Somali boys who had trekked north, crossed the sea, walked across France and Spain paid for by their families hoping for a better life? Nice lads most of them- not running away from anything other than grinding poverty and towards prosperity and opportunity.
The Marrocan young woman who had fled from her abusive husband and his family?
The Syrian family who had run from Isis? The stories they told - a cousin abducted and raped, the grandfather tied to a lamppost to be burnt alive (he escaped when his neighbour cut him free while the fighters rounded up other victims) and more.

As climate change gets worse, Europe will have to address the issue of refugees from climate change - there will be so many.

The current situation of refugees fleeing war in the Middle East and now Afghanistan has been made so much worse by the actions of the west.
It is despicable that people who helped the western countries or accepted a more western way have now just been abandoned to their fate.

kwest Tue 24-Aug-21 12:18:43

Is it out of focus or are my eyes out of focus?
Could be either these days.

Aepgirl Tue 24-Aug-21 12:25:09

Sorry, can’t read either of these - enlarging them just makes them blurred.

adaunas Tue 24-Aug-21 12:33:51

Bottom to top-where I live we’ve already dealt with refugees and are still dealing with them. It’s a very clever and telling piece of writing. It would serve as a good reminder to everyone. My only criticism? It’s easier to write that than to be involved in addressing the needs of refugees wherever they’re from.

4allweknow Tue 24-Aug-21 12:44:18

Bottom to top. How does Germany get away with building a huge fence at the Turkish border to stop Afghans travelling cross country and entering Germany. Think of the outcry if UK turned all the boat people back to France. With the terrible situation in Afghanistan in regard to females why are we still seeing so many males in Kabul trying to be evacuated.

Ladyinspain Tue 24-Aug-21 12:44:45

Gibraltar?? 10 minutes from me - so small there is hardly enough space for their own citizens--families on housing list been waiting for up to 10 years!! There would be an outcry if Afghan families were housed first!

JaneJudge Tue 24-Aug-21 12:45:12

Brian is very clever.

I am always a hmm at 'we av to help are own' argument when the increases to adult social care on our council tax is moaned about to high heaven.

Rozzy Tue 24-Aug-21 12:54:57

Very moving. As a refugee from Cyprus in 1974 my family & I were lucky enough to have friends & family who opened their homes to us, but I will always remember the fear I felt at being caught up in a warzone and the relief when the British troops organised safe convoys, refugee camps & flights back to England.

Cambia Tue 24-Aug-21 12:57:56

Whitewavemark2 where did you find that? I would like a copy to stick on my wall and to give to my mum who is constantly complaining about migrants!!

JaneJudge Tue 24-Aug-21 13:07:58

this is him Cambia he is all over the place smile

westendgirl Tue 24-Aug-21 13:12:52

I believe there is no border between Germany and Turkey and if you look online you will see worldwide that Turkey tops the list of number of refugees hosted, followed by Colombia, Pakistan, Uganda and then Germany . This is from the UNCHR( united nations commission on human rights ).
I see tables in the Times or the Sunday Times regularly showing a list of countries hosting refugees and showing what percentage. The UK is well down !

Welshwife Tue 24-Aug-21 13:19:09

AlanaV we live in Sw France and there is no necessity for the children of Brits to speak French before going to school - are you saying that other nationalities need to have the little ones speaking French before they are allowed to go to school?

Welshwife Tue 24-Aug-21 13:24:37

Interesting what you say Goldencity about the Africans at Caen. The last time we used that crossing there were really only a few of them about at the port. We stopped using the Calais crossings due to the number of migrants on the motorways.
We no longer use the main car parks in Ouistreham by the port so we now mainly go to eat at Le Phare which has parking outside or we drive round to the hotel with a restaurant and a car park behind it.

Beebee24 Tue 24-Aug-21 13:28:01

Where did you read that 4allweknow? I have never heard such a thing. However, one reason Turkey has so many refugees is because the EU pays them a very large sum of money to keep them there.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Aug-21 13:28:51

Cambia

Whitewavemark2 where did you find that? I would like a copy to stick on my wall and to give to my mum who is constantly complaining about migrants!!

On twitter but try Googling the authors name