Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fingers crossed for Pen Farthing and Nowzad

(486 Posts)
Maudi Wed 25-Aug-21 09:09:13

Afghanistan: Fresh hope for ex-Marine Pen Farthing's bid to rescue 200 dogs and cats from Kabul
The defence secretary says Pen Farthing, his staff and the animals will now be able to leave on the chartered aircraft.
Wednesday 25 August 2021 07:40, UK

Anyone else rooting for Pen and his animals ?

Whatdayisit Sun 12-Sep-21 13:08:20

That is great news. I hope they can all move forward and continue their hard work the best way they can.

Callistemon Sat 11-Sep-21 19:57:11

Good news, GrannyGravy

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Sep-21 19:50:30

I should be packing, instead I am scrolling Twitter…. don’t tell DH

Alegrias1 Sat 11-Sep-21 19:32:32

That's great news GG13, thank you for posting.

JaneJudge Sat 11-Sep-21 19:30:46

GrannyGravy13

The Staff are now all safe in Islamabad, Pakistan, Pen Farthing has just confirmed.

Thank you for the update, that is good news smile

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Sep-21 19:23:10

The Staff are now all safe in Islamabad, Pakistan, Pen Farthing has just confirmed.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 11:36:35

However, feeling compassion for animals does not mean a person does not feel compassion for another human being,

And vice versa.

And if there is nothing one can personally do for the child, but one can do something for the animal, then one should do it.

Callistemon Sat 04-Sep-21 11:34:48

Humans like/love animals.

Most do, sadly some do not.

However, feeling compassion for animals does not mean a person does not feel compassion for another human being, especially a small child nor is the converse true.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

LondonMkFitz I hope you can find a place of your own soon and perhaps adopt a rescue dog. It won't replace the hole left by the loss your other dog (they always have a special place) but it should help.

JaneJudge Sat 04-Sep-21 11:29:02

nightowl

I’m new to this thread but I’m shocked by some of the posts made by those who profess to care more about people than animals. All I can say is, it doesn’t show.

I think people forget there are real people the other side of the screen. I even see it on facebook where people have a go at 'friends' and type things they'd never say to that person's face sad

Zoejory Sat 04-Sep-21 11:18:22

I'm with you all the way, LondonMkFitz.

I hope that life improves for you.

I'm another Nowzad donor and have been a regular donor for about 8 years now.

This isn't about people or animals. I'm sure most people understand this.

There are many people in the world who feel great empathy for animals. This is an interesting article as to how a group of people felt with a human/animal dilemma

www.betterhelp.com/advice/love/people-who-love-animals-more-than-people-psychology-of-empathy/

We see people putting their own lives at risk to save their pets. To save other people's pets. To save wildlife.

My rather aged husband was dangling from an overhanging branch to save a gosling which had got its foot (what is a gosling's foot called?) tangled in a fishing hook. Why did he do this? The pond was rather fetid and DH is no spring chicken and he also had beige trousers on. Which ended up being binned.

Humans like/love animals.

Maudi Sat 04-Sep-21 09:04:31

LondonMkFitz. You seem a really nice caring person, hope things improve for you soon.

nightowl Fri 03-Sep-21 22:40:16

I’m new to this thread but I’m shocked by some of the posts made by those who profess to care more about people than animals. All I can say is, it doesn’t show.

Whatdayisit Fri 03-Sep-21 22:24:34

LondonMzFitz good luck with what you have in front of you. Don't let the bastards drag you down - ex not posters on here - and - when you are going through hell keep going.
You can find the momentum to turn the corner and at some point move forward with a new four legged friend who will need you. It is hard when you have run out of strength but it will be back.?

LondonMzFitz Fri 03-Sep-21 16:28:19

Oh my - I don't think it was "deeply unpleasant", I thought it would be better to PM that put on here. But I will allow others to judge (and please remember, I don't do sarcasm). Two paragraphs - my message.

I'm sure you didn't read my post and rub your hands together thinking "great, I'm going to take the piss out of this person who has let it be known she's struggling". I'm sure you didn't.
I think your post says more about you than about me, ultimately, and I hope you will reflect on your words directed at someone who was feeling very fragile today.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Sep-21 20:13:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Jaxjacky Thu 02-Sep-21 19:54:58

I’m sorry to hear you’re having a tough time LondonMzFitz. But, for me, my money will be going, as it has already, to helping the people.

LondonMzFitz Thu 02-Sep-21 19:20:40

It's never been either / or. A situation where you can only help the cats and dogs OR you can help the people.

I can't speed up the process to help those who want/need to get out of Afghanistan get through the required processes, but I can in some small way help to get the Nowzad staff out, the trained Vets and Vet nurses and their families by supporting Pen Farthing, so I did. The misinformation that is out there is frustrating and I can't believe it's had to be repeated it's never been people before animals.

It's not just the UK or US Government that have - and still are - stepping up to help people, Governments will help people, but as we've seen, not animals. There are procedures in place for Governments to get those who want to out. Agencies that will help people (including children). Afghan people have been taken in by numerous countries. At no time and in now way has the airlift of the animals slowed down or hindered the process of getting people out.

Callistemon Thu 02-Sep-21 18:09:36

LondonMzFitz
You seem to have enough going on in your own life without worrying about Farthing and his animals, unless you find that helps as a diversion from your own problems. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time.

I really am more worried about the children left in Afghanistan than dogs and cats but I suppose we all have our priorities. I can't get the picture of that little girl out of my mind, the one filmed trying to sleep by the side of a busy road, lost her parents, alone and hungry. I think the cameraman's family took her in for a night then I think to an area where children who had lost their parents were being kind of cared for, living in tents.
www.itv.com/news/2021-08-23/young-orphaned-girl-symbolises-afghanistans-humanitarian-crisis

No living creatures deserve to be harmed (with a few exceptions) but I know I would help that child before I'd rescue a cat.

LondonMzFitz Thu 02-Sep-21 17:43:39

Germanshepherdsmum

Really LondonMzFitz, gruelling for your mental health? This whole saga has been very upsetting for many people but sadly it’s just one of far too many stories of abused animals readily available if you care to look in the hope you might be able to help. But I guess you don’t, all too gruelling for your fragile mental health. Give me strength.

I got divorced in January 2021 from the husband who was in Afghanistan in 2010.
He's "given" our 11 year old family dog to his girlfriend although he's sworn on a stack of legal books he's not living with her and her teenage daughters (although you can see his car outside her house on google maps). I haven't fought it because -
The family home my now deceased parents helped me buy is sold with 46% going to him, and I'm looking for somewhere else to live, new owners want in by the end of the month and I can't find anywhere I can afford and keep working which work got wind of last week and are sulking because I'll be leaving within a few weeks after 12 years.
I'm trying to pack a 3 bed house up and looking into storage and probably living in friends spare room so, you know, my mental health in general really isn't great. Yes, it's fragile - walk in my shoes, or anyone else's shoes before passing such unkindness, maybe?
Just - wow.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Sep-21 14:50:32

Really LondonMzFitz, gruelling for your mental health? This whole saga has been very upsetting for many people but sadly it’s just one of far too many stories of abused animals readily available if you care to look in the hope you might be able to help. But I guess you don’t, all too gruelling for your fragile mental health. Give me strength.

PippaZ Thu 02-Sep-21 12:04:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maudi Thu 02-Sep-21 07:41:28

17:45LondonMzFitz

Yes thanks for all your info.

Whatdayisit Wed 01-Sep-21 23:01:17

Thank you London MzFitz. Such a terrible mess.x

LondonMzFitz Wed 01-Sep-21 17:45:59

James Woods is an ass. Throws in a few attention seeking tweets every now and again in support of Trump.

Pen Farthing did a live Facebook video lunchtime (lucky I'm working from home and noticed it on my phone). He seems in extremely good spirits now, isolating at a hotel in Norway, hopes to do a Covid test today and be able to spend time with his Norwegian wife. Confirmed 6 cats died but that's been put down to being caught in smoke bombs after the bombings at Kabul airport last Thursday; apparently one of the dogs was found to have an injury which may be a stab wound from Taliban while in the carrying crate or possibly an abscess which hadn't been noticed before, but is recovering well. He says the Operation (Operation Ark) is only 50% complete with his staff still in Afghanistan and (he said) terrified; once out of Covid restrictions he's going to get onto getting them out. Said the last UK Military aircraft was airborne before his commercial plane, said several times he asked if there were any people he could put on his plane but was told there weren't.

He got quite emotional recounting that everything he's built up at the Nowzad Sanctuary has gone, 15 years work, the buildings and the animal runs etc. The donkeys and the bull (bull ?!?) were safe somewhere secret.

He was constantly asked about the other Rescue, Kabul Small Animal Rescue run by an American, Charlotte Maxwell-Jones*. Pen shut those questions down as he strongly suggested that people who shouldn't know what was happening would be finding it out by the answers to the questions (hinting that stuff is happening behind the scenes, time will tell). Also asked that any rehoming emails wait for a few weeks, at least until the animals are out of quarantine.

He has a bottle of red wine and English Tea Bags and is in very good spirits, I think. I've seen a few more posts about the animals he's got out - BBC Report www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58409613 A woman who helped process rescued dogs and cats flown from Afghanistan said they were "in amazing condition"

So that's nice.

*Charlotte Maxwell Jones, a US citizen, also tried to evacuate dozens of animals in her care, some of which came from Afghanistan families in the last few weeks, fleeing their homes. I've not followed the story because the Nowzad one has been gruelling for my mental health. The photos of dog crates stacked up at Kabul which has been at the root of claims the US Service dogs were left behind were those of the Kabul Small Animal Rescue, I understand. She refused to get on the aircraft when the US left on Tuesday without the animals, in particular one small sickly puppy.

Above is from what I've read between my fingers. Next I'll be hiding behind the sofa trying to not see this stuff.

Callistemon Wed 01-Sep-21 16:43:01

James Howard Woods was born on April 18, 1947 in Vernal, Utah, the son of Martha A. (Smith) and Gail Peyton Woods, a U.S. Army intelligence officer who died during Woods' childhood. James is of Irish, English, and German descent

right winger who thinks the US is a victim of mass illegal invasions.

Never heard of him, but is this him?

So not Indigenous American then?