Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lyse Doucet

(58 Posts)
ixion Mon 30-Aug-21 22:05:37

Has donned a helmet for her latest report (BBC News 22.00).

Please, can't she leave now? How will she get 'home''?

ixion Wed 01-Sep-21 16:35:30

I make a point of never forgetting the teamwork - cameraman, sound engineer and reporter - when we see these news reports.

Starting this thread has led me to wider questioning of my initial views!
If/when our reporting teams finally leave, we will have no unbiased, contemporary updates we have come to rely on so heavily.

Will there be any other 'news' emanating, apart from that which the Taliban puts across?

On the one hand, their posturing and gloating in front of the cameras makes me feel that we should not be giving them airtime.

But if not, what? No news??‍♀️

Dunno.

LuckyFour Wed 01-Sep-21 16:59:52

I think Lise Doucet is wonderful - what a hero she is. She seems totally unafraid and is always at the center of things. How does she do it.
My DH and I are quite worried for her safety and we just hope she has a plan to come home soon.

Alegrias1 Wed 01-Sep-21 17:10:24

A few years ago I was at an event where Lyse Doucet was the chair person, and a young refugee from Syria told us about her life and then played the theme from Schindler's List on her violin. Lyse, like everyone else in the place, was in tears by the end. Just wanted to share that about her.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Sep-21 17:37:05

I also couldn’t place her accent and when I looked her up I was surprised to see that she is Canadian.

Presumably she lives here, but the BBC and other news channels have reporters stationed all over the world, so home for the time being might be a Middle Eastern country.

MawBe Wed 01-Sep-21 17:37:34

Each time I hear her name I am struck by the contrast between “douce” meaning “soft,” or “ gentle” and a woman with nerves of steel who could put many a seasoned serviceman to shame!

katy1950 Wed 01-Sep-21 19:06:49

Brave lady but how is she going to get home

Joyfulnanna Thu 02-Sep-21 00:30:59

No she must leave asap. I can't bear the thought of her getting captured