Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lyse Doucet

(57 Posts)
ixion Mon 30-Aug-21 22:05:37

Has donned a helmet for her latest report (BBC News 22.00).

Please, can't she leave now? How will she get 'home''?

busybeejay Mon 30-Aug-21 22:16:32

I was saying that tonight.She must have a plan!

NanKate Mon 30-Aug-21 22:23:56

She has done a brilliant job reporting life in Afghanistan, but as a prominent female reporter the Taliban will be a real threat to her.

tippytipsy Mon 30-Aug-21 22:26:34

I can't see that she is staying on just to make a name for herself. She is very experienced, so she must know the risks.

Luckygirl Mon 30-Aug-21 22:44:12

I am not sure it is worth her taking this risk now - I think we have all got the picture as far as Afghanistan is concerned; and a pitiful picture it is.

It would make sense for her to come back now - surely she has an exit strategy?

Farmor15 Mon 30-Aug-21 22:49:45

I was wondering how she’ll get out too. I suspect she’ll take an overland route - perhaps to Pakistan- with heavily armed security.

Grammaretto Mon 30-Aug-21 22:52:06

Please come home safely now Lyse.
You've more than done your bit.

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 22:52:20

She's done a great job and I hope she gets out safely.

ixion Mon 30-Aug-21 22:59:30

I really don't need Lyse Doucet to take these risks for me.
Enough.
Please return.

Callistemon Mon 30-Aug-21 23:08:55

But this is what these reporters do.

In the opening scene of Bearing Witness, the 2005 documentary by Barbara Kopple that examines the work of women war correspondents in Iraq during the Second Gulf War, Al Jazeera journalist May Ying Welsh explains why she was at a dangerous flashpoint in international conflict. “Who was going to be here to witness this?” she asks.

BigBertha1 Tue 31-Aug-21 07:12:27

Yes I agree I have been saying she must get out now far too risky.

M0nica Tue 31-Aug-21 07:28:13

Just as dangerous for any foreign, especially European or US, men still reporting from Afghanistan. Sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose these days and all should be treated equally.

Sarnia Tue 31-Aug-21 08:21:27

She is an excellent reporter. I hope she makes a safe return home.

Niobe Tue 31-Aug-21 08:41:17

Watching the BBC this morning and it was mentioned that commercial flights to and from Kabul will resume now so I expect she will get a flight out when her job is done.

Gabrielle56 Tue 31-Aug-21 09:30:41

Lyse Doucet is most accomplished and I watch her reports whenever they're aired, she's professional and her reports are wonderfully worded to paint a picture of the chaotic situation she finds herself in. I pray that she and other brave journos are safe and left alone by the now controlling forces.( Lyse puts me in mind of the great Kate Adie, from a wardrobe......somewhere...... getting shot at....)
Lyse Deserves a medal for sure.

Lillie Tue 31-Aug-21 09:59:40

i have every respect for her
she is very professional and does deserve an award

i was wondering whether not having a family or husband back home makes her more attached to her job while disregarding her own safety
i am only saying this because i went to a talk by John Simpson about 10 years ago
he said it was the thought of his young son that made him take fewer risks and eventually reasses
and he hated being told by the teacher that his son went all quiet and withdrawn when his dad was away

Sar53 Tue 31-Aug-21 10:45:56

I have also been wondering how and when she will come home. She is such a professional and I have the utmost respect for her.

Aveline Tue 31-Aug-21 10:51:40

Surely she'd be safe enough? Such a high profile media person would be worth the Taliban's while to suck up to as part of their charm offensive. Of course she's not daft! I hope she's safely home soon.
A friend's son, a photographer, was shot dead in the street in Iraq. No one ever found who did it. Just a random shooting of a Westerner. Bad times in bad places.

SueDonim Tue 31-Aug-21 13:17:05

Lyse Doucet’s reports are always interesting but I rather thought this one could have been done from anywhere. It was pitch black in the background and lent nothing to setting the scene.

I hope working for the BBC gives her a degree of protection, though it could equally make her a target. sad

MawBe Tue 31-Aug-21 13:26:04

SueDonim

Lyse Doucet’s reports are always interesting but I rather thought this one could have been done from anywhere. It was pitch black in the background and lent nothing to setting the scene.

I hope working for the BBC gives her a degree of protection, though it could equally make her a target. sad

I think the last part of your post is a very real danger.
On 6 June 2004, while reporting from Al-Suwaidi, a district of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Frank Gardner was shot six times and seriously injured in an attack by al-Qaida gunmen. One of Gardner's spinal nerves was hit in the attack and he was left partially paralysed in the legs. This was no accidental injury but a targeted attack and I fear Lyse Doucet may be similarly targeted with the additional” provocation”(in the eyes of the Taliban) of being a woman

rafichagran Tue 31-Aug-21 13:27:46

She is fantastic,her reports are good. I would let this intelligent woman make her own desitions.
She will know when the time is right for her to get out.

Marjgran Wed 01-Sep-21 10:45:49

She is a complete professional. This is her job. She will know a lot more from being there than being here. I couldn’t understand the comment about treating “gander” & “goose” equally. Women are never treated “equally” by Taliban. She must be at extra risk of being a target.

Theoddbird Wed 01-Sep-21 10:50:43

She is amazing. I admire her so much....

NanaPlenty Wed 01-Sep-21 10:54:06

So brave to be out there reporting - I can’t imagine wanting to do that job. Hope she stays safe.

onedayatatime Wed 01-Sep-21 11:02:44

agree with rafichagran give Lyse credit for knowing when to stay and when to leave