Gransnet forums

News & politics

Julie Bindel, new book - feminism for women, the route to freedom. Interviewed by Emma Barnett on women’s hour today

(229 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 08-Sep-21 19:59:33

If we had a feminist board, this would best be placed there.

Julie has been no platformed by many venues, by universities because of her outspoken support for hard won women’s spaces. She wrote a Guardian article 20 years ago when she used what she now describes as immature language when dismissing trans women as men in frocks.

One of the argument in her new book is that men can be supporters of feminist women/feminism but they can’t be feminists. She reported concerns from young women about men in leadership roles in feminist groups at universities. She repeated concerns about the impact of self ID.

I’m with Julie on this

Angryfeminist Thu 25-Aug-22 11:38:38

For those interested FiLiA organise the largest annual Feminist Conference in Europe. This year it is being held in Cardiff, runs for 3 days, 22-24 October. Tickets on sale now www.filia.org.uk/

DiamondLily Thu 25-Aug-22 18:43:39

I like her. She’s what I consider to be an “original” feminist - standing up for women’s rights, and not allowing the whole thing to be hijacked by biological men and their supporters.?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10952397/Council-chiefs-cancel-talk-feminist-writer-Julie-Bindel-views-trans-rights.html

DiamondLily Sat 27-Aug-22 10:23:19

Julie Birchill has written a thought provoking article for the DM today.

She compares the "woke warriors" with the old time religious Puritans:

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11150581/Julie-Burchill-reveals-refuses-bow-social-justice-warriors-altar-wokeness.html