Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well done Johnson’s government..

(48 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Sep-21 20:03:39

HMRC has said that the new tax rise will have a significant and highly detrimental effect on family stability in those families who aren’t already struggling, leading to breakdown.

Company’s ability to hire will also be impacted detrimentally as will salaries.

Inflation is expected to be affected, placing further burden on families household bills.

The vast majority of the money raised will be going towards beginning to fill the gap in the NHS funding brought about by the Tories during the past 10 years. A very small amount will go towards social care over the next three years, having no significant effect towards improving the crises.

No plan is in place going forward.

Well done Tories!

GagaJo Sun 12-Sep-21 23:36:08

So despite the Brexit bus lies and the money chucked into the pockets of their already minted mates the poor and ordinary people of Britain are once again going to bail the leaches out. All for something we ALREADY pay for every month in our NI contributions.

And then, for those who are already struggling, to fall into even deeper poverty, only to find they have become the undeserving poor and will be scapegoated for all manner of ills.

All the while, Bodge-It and Scrooge laugh and loll on the front bench.

GagaJo Sun 12-Sep-21 23:36:43

We are living in Dickensian England.

Doodledog Sun 12-Sep-21 23:40:23

Yes, it’s disgraceful. And we’re stuck with it for years, as they lied their way to a huge majority.

vegansrock Mon 13-Sep-21 04:02:40

Trade barriers due directly to Brexit have added £600m in costs to U.K. businesses so far this year.

nanna8 Mon 13-Sep-21 04:10:48

Just don't vote for them again! Just the usual right wing politics, do you think they care about your average Joe Blow in the street?

BlueBelle Mon 13-Sep-21 04:44:38

Not that easy Nanna8 so many people taken in by the lies Half the country is ignorant of so many facts and the other half is paying the price

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Sep-21 05:55:38

Because of the rundown of funding by the Tories and the subsequent unpreparedness by the NHS for the pandemic, a survey has shown that 1 in 5 of sick people are being forced to go private.

Severe shortage of staff at every level is one of the big factors that prevent the NHS from working at optimum level.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Sep-21 06:08:00

The new tax will without doubt have a recessionary effect on the U.K. economy, which is beginning to show signs of a steep slowdown.

U.K. exports, so vital to Our GDP, are alarmingly beginning to fall as European businesses seek alternative, without friction supplies.

Calendargirl Mon 13-Sep-21 06:57:35

GagaJo

Hardly.

MaizieD Mon 13-Sep-21 08:45:03

Calendargirl

GagaJo

Hardly.

You're right, Cg, Dickensian England didn't have those food banks that Rees-Mogg found so uplifting... The poor starved more easily.

25Avalon Mon 13-Sep-21 08:57:37

Where does HMRC say this please? I am surprised they say it will have a ‘detrimental affect on family stability’ as that seems a value judgement rather than a statement of fact.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Sep-21 09:02:27

25Avalon

Where does HMRC say this please? I am surprised they say it will have a ‘detrimental affect on family stability’ as that seems a value judgement rather than a statement of fact.

To be found on the BBC web site.

And those not familiar with the HMRC should understand that tax and it’s effect on the living standards, inflation, businesses, and social impingement on the population together with the likely results are all collated and reported by its large statistics department.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Sep-21 09:03:30

Marks and Spencer are being forced to close their shops in Europe because of the on-going supply issues from the U.K.

dragonfly46 Mon 13-Sep-21 09:10:37

M&S close and open shops in Europe like yo-yos. The one in Amsterdam was constantly opening and closing when we were there.

MaizieD Mon 13-Sep-21 10:16:29

Whitewavemark2

Marks and Spencer are being forced to close their shops in Europe because of the on-going supply issues from the U.K.

It does seem to be a 'may close' story, rather than a 'will close'.

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-12/marks-spencer-may-close-stores-in-france-daily-mail-reports

25Avalon Mon 13-Sep-21 11:40:57

Hmmm! What it actually says is “there maybe” (note MAYBE) “an impact on family formation, stability or breakdown as individuals, who are currently just about managing financially, will see their disposable income reduce.”

The BBC reported HMRC as saying it could have a significant impact on wages, inflation and company profits. Also it could lead to the breakdown of struggling families.

Not quite how you worded it is it WWM2? That’s why I asked to see what was actually said so I could have my own independent thought. I know you find the current government reprehensible to say the least and jump at any chance to denigrate them as is your right, but please don’t over exaggerate what has actually been said.

westendgirl Mon 13-Sep-21 12:18:10

Great example this a.m.
Therese Coffey telling those who will loose the £20 Universal Credit that they could make it up by doing 2 more hours work, or by getting a better paid job.(GMB )Yes they do know what its like to be struggling to pay child care , on zero hours. How on earth did they manage to get in?

vegansrock Mon 13-Sep-21 12:20:03

If they do extra work the extra pay will get deducted from UC. Talk about catch 22.

MaizieD Mon 13-Sep-21 12:26:13

25Avalon

Hmmm! What it actually says is “there maybe” (note MAYBE) “an impact on family formation, stability or breakdown as individuals, who are currently just about managing financially, will see their disposable income reduce.”

The BBC reported HMRC as saying it could have a significant impact on wages, inflation and company profits. Also it could lead to the breakdown of struggling families.

Not quite how you worded it is it WWM2? That’s why I asked to see what was actually said so I could have my own independent thought. I know you find the current government reprehensible to say the least and jump at any chance to denigrate them as is your right, but please don’t over exaggerate what has actually been said.

I think that an HMRC 'may be' is a different thing from a news report 'may be'.

Anyway, I'd be grateful if one of you could post a link to the story because all that I can find is a story about the effect of the NI increases. HMRC quite positive about the damage this will do.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58536118

I wonder how easy you would find life, Avalon if your already very poor income were to drop by £20 a week.

That is £20 a week being cut from the economy, so there'll be a knock on effect for businesses. According to this news report the cut will affect 6 million claimants. So that I make that some £120 million being taken out of the economy per week. Or a staggering £6,240,000,000 p.a. says my calculator. That is a a lot of money for shops to be losing...

The staggering thing is that Sunak still hasn't caught onto the fact that taking money out of the economy leads to recession... that is very basic economics...

Perhaps naysayers could google hard to prove me wrong?

www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/universal-credit-cut-exact-date-5871817

Franbern Mon 13-Sep-21 13:10:06

The members and mates of the current government have done very well out of the Pandemic and Brexit.

It is just the rest of us who are paying for them to have got so much richer.

The disastrous T&T system, which never worked properly cost us £350b pounds, virtually the same amount as they tell us will be needed to 'plug' the hole in Social Care.

MaizieD Mon 13-Sep-21 13:17:24

Franbern

The members and mates of the current government have done very well out of the Pandemic and Brexit.

It is just the rest of us who are paying for them to have got so much richer.

The disastrous T&T system, which never worked properly cost us £350b pounds, virtually the same amount as they tell us will be needed to 'plug' the hole in Social Care.

The point I've been trying to get over, Franbern is that the covid money they poured into their mates' pockets has cost the country nothing. It was issued by the Bank of England. Just computer key strokes. Very little of it will return to the treasury via taxation. It wasn't 'borrowed' from anywhere.

If the govt can do that for their mates they can do it for social care. And they are likely to get far more back via taxation because it won't be going to make rich people who are good at tax avoidance even richer. It will be spent into the 'real', day to day economy.

GillT57 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:19:56

I agree MaizieD, what concerns me is that even Sunak, who we have to assume knows a bit about economics, is allowing politics to overtake the common sense and very obvious fact that the £20 per week cut is £20 less going into the local economy, the local shop. Put simply, if someone on average income has an extra £1000 per year in his income, he spends it, if someone like JRM has extra money, he sticks it in overseas accounts which do not benefit the UK economy.

Dinahmo Mon 13-Sep-21 13:45:35

It is my sincere hope that people remember all the lies, cronyism and handouts to friends by the current govt when the next GE is called.

25Avalon Mon 13-Sep-21 14:16:48

You miss my point MaisieD. It’s about items being wrongly reported to put an diffferent slant on them. The maybe quote is what HMRC actually said which is different from what was reported by the poster. At no point have I given a personal viewpoint on the raising of NI. You should not make assumptions about my financial situation. I do not like to see things twisted.