Gransnet forums

News & politics

To those in the UK - government reshuffle

(104 Posts)
hazel93 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:34:24

Gavin Williamson sacked. That's made my day - totally incompetent in every post he has held.
Sudden thought - the next could be even worse - no, surely not.

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 08:08:02

MibsXX

In pretty much ANY other job you'd at least need a basic qualification in the field to which you were wanting to perform....

Not for government minister you don't. You don't even have to be vaguely interested in the area you're given.
Still, at least the Civil Service will keep your department ticking over.

MibsXX Fri 17-Sep-21 00:56:24

In pretty much ANY other job you'd at least need a basic qualification in the field to which you were wanting to perform....

glammagran Thu 16-Sep-21 23:13:25

The one I’m watching is Penny Mordaunt. She seems ok.

Patsmith2 Thu 16-Sep-21 22:16:36

@Sarnia that has just made me laugh so much.

grannyrebel7 Thu 16-Sep-21 19:34:03

I pray for a decent opposition to get this shower out, but there doesn't seem to be anyone on the horizon atm.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Sep-21 19:22:33

A typical, pointless reshuffle that'll make little difference - just Boris keeping his friends close (or so he thinks)>

GillT57 Thu 16-Sep-21 19:14:49

Never mind a third rate novelist, she was stunningly unaware of what being a member of the EU meant

Leave-voting MP Nadine Dorries slams May's Brexit deal because UK won’t have seats in European parliament

This was in 2018, but it is still scary.

Eloethan Thu 16-Sep-21 17:25:49

Love your comment Sarnia. So true.

Dinahmo Thu 16-Sep-21 17:18:29

Apart from writing "third rate novels" ND has no cultural track record. I can see funding for the arts diminishing rapidly.

Lucca Thu 16-Sep-21 17:06:53

growstuff

I couldn't care less if Nadine Dorries writes third rate novels or moonlights on crummy TV programmes. I do care that she's a thoroughly nasty piece of work:

twitter.com/i/status/1323573000936017920

Wow. Not nice.

Kim19 Thu 16-Sep-21 17:05:42

So glad to see Gavin Williamson depart. Can never separate him from Frank Spencer in my head except that the latter had the odd endearing feature, unlike Mr W.

NannyC1 Thu 16-Sep-21 17:02:52

GrannyGravy13

If anyone takes the time to read Nadine Dorries’s bio, it is very interesting, working class Liverpool upbringings. She is a qualified nurse, has worked in Zambia and on her return set up a charity to help working parents.

Cannot see why writing novels (which are mainly based on and around the NHS) is being sneered at. As for appearing on I’m a celebrity, why not? Her fee went to charity.

At least she is not another posh boy which is how she refers to several Conservative MP’s

Thank you.

Scones Thu 16-Sep-21 16:41:16

In this whole wonderful country of talented and caring people how have we ended up with a cabinet of heartless, self serving, gas-lighting, incompetent, fairground charlatans?

Who votes for these people?
Why?
How long will they continue voting for these people?
How totally corrupt and vile do things have to become before people stop voting for them?

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 16:04:13

MaizieD

Greciangirl

Patel not sacked. She is staying on. ‘Unbelievable ‘.

She must be revelling in her incompetence.

That says it alł about Boris.

She may be incompetent, but she's a crowd pleaser.

Johnson is a coward and is getting her to do the dirty work he won't do. He knows she's a defence against UKIP (or whatever they call themselves these days).

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 16:01:46

I couldn't care less if Nadine Dorries writes third rate novels or moonlights on crummy TV programmes. I do care that she's a thoroughly nasty piece of work:

twitter.com/i/status/1323573000936017920

MaizieD Thu 16-Sep-21 15:58:14

Greciangirl

She may be incompetent, but she's a crowd pleaser.

Violettham Thu 16-Sep-21 15:56:50

After many years voting Conservative I am so relieved that I did not the last time what a shambles>

Greciangirl Thu 16-Sep-21 15:38:00

Susieq62 Thu 16-Sep-21 14:12:28

Let’s face it, Bojo does not have a lot of choice in who to give the next job to.
So pleased Williamson has gone even though I am retired from teaching.
My other half announced yesterday “ this country is in a real mess” ! That says it all really.

MaizieD Thu 16-Sep-21 13:55:46

Priti Patel initially wasn’t looking quite so relaxed. But that was because she had taken Boris’s description of the Home Office turning the UK into the “Saudi Arabia of penal policy” as a sign the prime minister thought she was going soft on crime. '

Comment on twitter: 'Saudi Arabia of penal policy'. Does that mean we'll chop up journalists in our embassies? hmm

kevincharley Thu 16-Sep-21 13:55:29

The sacked ones obviously had the temerity to say no to Boris. The incomers are more likely to lick his **.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 13:44:19

PPS. She's admirably suited to being a government minister in a kakistocracy.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 13:42:46

GrannyGravy13

If anyone takes the time to read Nadine Dorries’s bio, it is very interesting, working class Liverpool upbringings. She is a qualified nurse, has worked in Zambia and on her return set up a charity to help working parents.

Cannot see why writing novels (which are mainly based on and around the NHS) is being sneered at. As for appearing on I’m a celebrity, why not? Her fee went to charity.

At least she is not another posh boy which is how she refers to several Conservative MP’s

Not being a "posh boy" doesn't make her a cultural guru. It doesn't make her a compassionate human being, suited for the job. In fact, I can think of some "posh boys" who care about others much more than she does.

PS. Clem Attlee was a "posh boy".

hazel93 Thu 16-Sep-21 13:23:09

Petera

hazel93

Gavin Williamson sacked. That's made my day - totally incompetent in every post he has held.
Sudden thought - the next could be even worse - no, surely not.

Rumour is he turned up for work today as, when he was speaking to Johnson, he thought he was having a conversation with some other random white guy.

Well, all white guys look the same don't they.

Petera Thu 16-Sep-21 13:03:53

Whitewavemark2

cc

Nannan2

Hated to see Williamson on tv & in papers- he looks a bit 'ratty' to me...? Patel staying?hmm, i think she's got something on the rest of them so they dare'nt dismiss her...??

I'm amazed that Patel is still there, proven bully.

She’s there to attract the anti-immigration vote. No one cares about her bullying.

Loved John Crace's take:

'Priti Patel initially wasn’t looking quite so relaxed. But that was because she had taken Boris’s description of the Home Office turning the UK into the “Saudi Arabia of penal policy” as a sign the prime minister thought she was going soft on crime. '