Gransnet forums

News & politics

Have we changed to being Communist China without me noticing or do right-wing one party states just use the same rethoric?

(63 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 16-Sep-21 11:37:57

One of our newly raised-up politicians was talking this morning and apparently, we are now working towards "The People's Priorities".

We keep hearing The People's this and The People's that but this is not true. Only some voters want this government. It is only some of the people that want this government's policies. That does not stop this government from doing what they want to do. However, that is because they had a majority, not because 100% voted for them.

Mind you, this government has also slipped in First Past the Post for all mayoral and police and crime commissioner elections, starting in 2023, in the last couple of days. Were we asked? No. Will it favour one party staying in control? Yes.

We are becoming less democratic by the day.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 19:37:56

No problem PippaZ

PippaZ Fri 17-Sep-21 19:26:59

GrannyGravy13

PippaZ I was not the poster that introduced Goose stepping or Chairman Mao Boilersuits I was using them as an example

If you cannot understand that they are both extremes and that the U.K. should/could aim to be somewhere in the middle as opposed to lurching from left to right every 10 or so years , then I fear that you are happy with the see saw political system…

I do understand - now you have explained it.

growstuff Fri 17-Sep-21 14:12:47

MaizieD

@growstuff

Is 22% enough to make it easy to ignore the rest of the population (particularly as not all of them vote tory)?

And

Our local greengrocer market stall has been marking up its prices in lbs for decades. No-one really cares one way or the other.

The only people who learnt only about Imperial measurements at school are now over 65. The vast majority of them vote Conservative, so my guess is it might persuade them that Johnson keeps at least one of his electoral pledges.

It's pathetic that it's even worth MP and civil service time to bother about it, when there are so many more important issues.

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 14:07:53

How can I give a link to a thread from over seven years ago?

At the time ( and now) I was objecting to the term as both fascist and communist ....in other words for any extreme. It implies faceless masses who need decisions taken for them.
Yes, it’s only a word, but like Gill it makes my teeth ache.

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 13:59:28

lemongrove

GillT57

Anything with the words 'The People's' makes my teeth itch, ever since we had the oft repeated mantras of 'The People have spoken', and 'The Will of The People'. We know how well that worked out.

Funnily enough I once mentioned this ‘People’ thing years ago on GN when a Labour Party member mentioned going to something either called a Peoples Parliament or Peoples something or other at their town hall.All the LP voters on the thread took great umbrage at my thinking it was something I would always avoid.
I didn’t realise that it’s only if Conservatives use the word then it becomes ‘teeth itchy’, but there it is.

Do give us a link to the thread, lemon.

At the time were you objecting to the term 'The People's ...' because of its fascist connotations?

lemongrove Fri 17-Sep-21 13:46:06

GillT57

Anything with the words 'The People's' makes my teeth itch, ever since we had the oft repeated mantras of 'The People have spoken', and 'The Will of The People'. We know how well that worked out.

Funnily enough I once mentioned this ‘People’ thing years ago on GN when a Labour Party member mentioned going to something either called a Peoples Parliament or Peoples something or other at their town hall.All the LP voters on the thread took great umbrage at my thinking it was something I would always avoid.
I didn’t realise that it’s only if Conservatives use the word then it becomes ‘teeth itchy’, but there it is.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Sep-21 13:21:34

PippaZ I was not the poster that introduced Goose stepping or Chairman Mao Boilersuits I was using them as an example

If you cannot understand that they are both extremes and that the U.K. should/could aim to be somewhere in the middle as opposed to lurching from left to right every 10 or so years , then I fear that you are happy with the see saw political system…

PippaZ Fri 17-Sep-21 13:05:15

MaizieD

@growstuff

Is 22% enough to make it easy to ignore the rest of the population (particularly as not all of them vote tory)?

And

Our local greengrocer market stall has been marking up its prices in lbs for decades. No-one really cares one way or the other.

Of course it is MaizieD. The least able emotionally of the Eton boys led by Johnson have led the charge to stop us voting for democratic representation and into the winner takes all years.

PippaZ Fri 17-Sep-21 12:56:56

GrannyGravy13

There is a happy medium between Goose stepping and Chairman Mao boiler suites

That is where U.K. politicians should be aiming for, stop negative campaigning and get out and about, be seen and vocalise your vision of the U.K. going forward …

Are you saying you actually want/think it's okay to introduce the Goose Stepping?

MaizieD Fri 17-Sep-21 08:30:44

@growstuff

And

growstuff Fri 17-Sep-21 00:53:29

GrannyGravy13

What I understand is that it will no longer be illegal to price loose goods (butchers, greengrocers etc) in lbs and ozs.

Why bother? It's just extra work for no reason.

growstuff Fri 17-Sep-21 00:51:55

22.5% of the UK population is over 60 and the vast majority of them vote Conservative.

MaizieD Thu 16-Sep-21 22:31:16

Don't you mean 'butcher's', 'greengrocer's' etc. wink

Banana's by the lb again. I can't wait ....

Is the 60+ demographic so huge even after his spirited and ongoing attempt to kill off as many of them as possible with c19 that Johnson doesn't need to bother about pleasing any one else?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Sep-21 22:21:35

What I understand is that it will no longer be illegal to price loose goods (butchers, greengrocers etc) in lbs and ozs.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 22:07:51

Whitewavemark2

The idiot is saying that we can now revert to lbs and oz.

Never mind that all the generations after us was brought up with the metric system.

Surely that can't be true! (Can it?)

Actually, I've just read that it's on the agenda. What a load of cobblers. It's pandering to the hillbillies. It's not just the generations "after us" who were brought up with the metric system. I did O levels in 1971 and we were the first cohort to use the metric system in our maths exams.

It really is unbelievable that government time should be spent on this rubbish, when there's so much real work to do trying to get Brexit to work and trying to salvage something of our export markets.

Dinahmo Thu 16-Sep-21 21:44:53

Just like Truss!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Sep-21 20:59:53

There is a happy medium between Goose stepping and Chairman Mao boiler suites

That is where U.K. politicians should be aiming for, stop negative campaigning and get out and about, be seen and vocalise your vision of the U.K. going forward …

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 20:16:40

The idiot is saying that we can now revert to lbs and oz.

Never mind that all the generations after us was brought up with the metric system.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 20:13:41

They might be a tad worried as there are very few willing to defend the Tories at the moment, unless of course they are thinking “bring it on” in which case we are doomed.

PippaZ Thu 16-Sep-21 20:08:50

Whitewavemark2

This is becoming serious

“UK govt to enshrine in OfCom regulations a legal obligation for national broadcasters to make “Britishness” a compulsory feature of TV.

All programs produced by the BBC & other domestic channels must be shown to be British & not “too international” or “generic”.”

Next the marching to the difficult Goose Step and compulsory crying while saluting the Dear Leader.

Aren't any Tory voters worried?

Alegrias1 Thu 16-Sep-21 19:32:14

GrannyGravy13

MerylStreep

It’s quite amusing to note that the one TV channel that some of you love to hate is the only one that doesn’t pull it’s punches when criticising this government.

Yep, totally correct ??

Not correct at all. Clearly not watched Channel 4 then.

First three stories tonight:

1. How the government's requirement for care workers to have jabs is impacting staffing levels.

2. Analysis of the government's anachronistic agreement with the US and Australia.

3. Criticism of the government's slow response to the Grenfell Tower situation.

Criticism of the government doesn't have to consist of ranting and polemic.

In the interests of balance, I switched over to GB News where Farage was boasting about how HE has always known the truth about the migrant crisis and how (I quote) our real friends in the world speak English. Racist git.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Sep-21 19:11:30

This is becoming serious

“UK govt to enshrine in OfCom regulations a legal obligation for national broadcasters to make “Britishness” a compulsory feature of TV.

All programs produced by the BBC & other domestic channels must be shown to be British & not “too international” or “generic”.”

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 18:32:57

I'm obviously a "non-person" because the electoral system means that I have never voted for the winner in any election.

GillT57 Thu 16-Sep-21 18:24:00

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 17:30:52

No, it's not. It's an opinion.