Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnny no mates

(47 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Sep-21 14:10:11

100 year celebration to take place at Chequers.

All living prime ministers were invited to dinner with Johnson.

Every single one turned their invitation down except May, and I bet she is spitting tacs at the thought of sitting down with Johnson.

GillT57 Sun 19-Sep-21 22:21:43

Kandinsky

Being disliked by former PM’s means nothing. Why would Tony Blair & Gordon Brown like Boris? confused

Boris is popular with the ‘people’ - that’s all that matters. smile

Boris Johnson being popular with 'the people's is what really bothers me. The previous PMs are showing far better judgement than a lot of the electorate

Galaxy Sun 19-Sep-21 20:03:13

That seems to me completely in character for May. I may not agree with her politics but I got the impression that duty was very important to her. She will have thought it was the right thing to do. I bet her face was a picture when she realised all the others had opted out.

varian Sun 19-Sep-21 19:19:20

Kandinsky

Being disliked by former PM’s means nothing. Why would Tony Blair & Gordon Brown like Boris? confused

39% of "the people" is not "the people"

yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/boris-johnson-approval-rating

theworriedwell Sat 18-Sep-21 20:55:26

Jane71

It seems rather churlish for the ex PM's to refuse if it was because they don't like BJ. I'm no supporter of him, but we all have to deal with people we don't like.
If the invitations were late then I can understand.

Maybe they feel sorry for him having to pay for the hospitality so thought they'd cut the numbers and save him some cash.

MayBeMaw Sat 18-Sep-21 20:42:59

Callistemon

Wheniwasyourage

Callistemon, that Dinner For One is a hoot. Apparently it's a regular watch for people in Germany around New Year. Don't know why it hasn't caught on here. Thanks for the reminder to watch it again!

My DB and SIL introduced me to it and they were introduced to it by German friends!

I had to watch it on a visit to Germany.
Oh dear, my friends were cracking up laughing , I did try to raise a smile but…..
I think I have a pretty good idea why it never caught on here!

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:42:12

It was gifted to the nation for the use of PMs.

I think we should all gatecrash and liven up the party.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Sep-21 20:40:52

MayBee70

Johnson would have used it purely for publicity. In fact I’m surprised he didn’t just seat cardboard cutouts of all the previous PM’s round the table and get his official photographer (the one we pay for) to take photos. I’m thinking of a Sgt Pepper sort of thing. He could even had William Pitt the younger there.

? Exactly! They simply weren’t prepared to play his game.

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:40:09

Wheniwasyourage

*Callistemon*, that Dinner For One is a hoot. Apparently it's a regular watch for people in Germany around New Year. Don't know why it hasn't caught on here. Thanks for the reminder to watch it again!

My DB and SIL introduced me to it and they were introduced to it by German friends!

MayBee70 Sat 18-Sep-21 20:38:39

Johnson would have used it purely for publicity. In fact I’m surprised he didn’t just seat cardboard cutouts of all the previous PM’s round the table and get his official photographer (the one we pay for) to take photos. I’m thinking of a Sgt Pepper sort of thing. He could even had William Pitt the younger there.

Jane71 Sat 18-Sep-21 17:59:44

It seems rather churlish for the ex PM's to refuse if it was because they don't like BJ. I'm no supporter of him, but we all have to deal with people we don't like.
If the invitations were late then I can understand.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Sep-21 16:48:45

grandMattie

It’s a shame. The dinner was to celebrate the house which I believe was given to government 100 years ago, not specifically BoJo. I’m sure all these past PMs have all enjoyed their tenure there.

They had to stomach Johnson though, that was the problem.

Shows how much he is disliked by politicians from all colours.

grandMattie Sat 18-Sep-21 16:44:08

It’s a shame. The dinner was to celebrate the house which I believe was given to government 100 years ago, not specifically BoJo. I’m sure all these past PMs have all enjoyed their tenure there.

mokryna Sat 18-Sep-21 16:40:18

Wheniwasyourage

*Callistemon*, that Dinner For One is a hoot. Apparently it's a regular watch for people in Germany around New Year. Don't know why it hasn't caught on here. Thanks for the reminder to watch it again!

I remember having to sit through it the first time I spent New Year in Germany. Everyone was word perfect, except me of course.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Sep-21 16:31:04

Callistemon, that Dinner For One is a hoot. Apparently it's a regular watch for people in Germany around New Year. Don't know why it hasn't caught on here. Thanks for the reminder to watch it again!

vegansrock Sat 18-Sep-21 16:29:14

T May probably too polite to turn it down.

MayBee70 Sat 18-Sep-21 16:27:46

I never thought I’d ever feel sorry for Theresa May. She loathes Johnson.

vegansrock Sat 18-Sep-21 16:27:13

W high people is BJ popular with? Brexitty parts of England maybe, but NOT popular in Scotland, N.I. Wales, London, Liverpool, Manchester……..

GagaJo Sat 18-Sep-21 16:23:50

Kandinsky

Hardly. The vast majority think either that he's doing a bad job or that he's a clown. Even his previously vociferous fan club have gone quiet.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Sep-21 16:01:35

Chestnut

This is for you WWM2 for adding to the OP and all your other threads. I'm sure you'll get plenty of use from it.

Thank you I’m sure they will come in handy over the next few years.

Chestnut Sat 18-Sep-21 15:56:02

This is for you WWM2 for adding to the OP and all your other threads. I'm sure you'll get plenty of use from it.

Blossoming Sat 18-Sep-21 15:50:38

What, even more awkward than the one Prince Andrew didn’t go to because he was at Pizza Express in Woking?

Alegrias1 Sat 18-Sep-21 15:43:59

Kandinsky

Oh yes, it's all going terribly well on the popularity front.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-Sep-21 15:40:12

Cameron, Major, Blair and Brown all declined.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Sep-21 15:37:37

Seems rather a weak excuse for a dinner for former PMs - normally they only get together for something important e.g. visiting President, Queen, G20 etc.

I expect the decliners didn't want to be a photo opportunity for Bozzer and Carrie - not ill mannered at all.

theworriedwell Sat 18-Sep-21 15:19:26

Kandinsky

Is anyone else invited or is it just going to be Johnson and May? I think if I was Mrs May I might have a migraine that day.