Gransnet forums

News & politics

A winter of very expensive heating and little food?

(553 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 09:14:43

What is happening about this? I must admit I feel worried.

If this is true and will be paid for by those who have lost in-work benefits and are paying higher NI, how on earth will they get through the winter.

I'm a Pensioner and not rich enough to expect them to do anything for me.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 17:02:14

Ivor Dewdney's was just outside too ?

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 22:07:09

I have just been setting up a future Tesco grocery delivery.

I regularly have some of this.

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/262311847

This evening, here, it is flagged as

> Sorry, this product is currently unavailable

It might be a temporary blip, that happens with some products sometimes but I have not known it happen with something basic like this since around March to April 2020, and maybe not with this brand.

But in the present situation I am wondering if this a temporary thing or not.

Just wondering what results readers around the country get by clicking the link. No need to say where you are, just thinking that a snapshot around the country might be an interesting insight.

We could do this for other products if you wish.

You need to be logged in to Tesco grocery for the result to be meaningful.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 22:13:39

I can order it - is it regional?

Not that I want any, must remember to delete it!

growstuff Wed 22-Sep-21 22:26:30

It's available at my Tesco too. Maybe some stores had some in store, but deliveries are erratic.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 22:57:41

Callistemon

I can order it - is it regional?

Not that I want any, must remember to delete it!

I think that what is available varies from store to store at any particular time, if indeed that product is available from that store usually.

Some stores are bigger than others and have a bigger range in the store anyway, and then not everything is available for delivery.

It is not unusual for some of the things that I have to go unavailable for a few days, but for it to happen to something such as plain microwave rice raises concern, as it could be delivery problems or a run from shoppers as concern over shortages is prevalent again like in Spring 2020.

There are reports of shortages and pictures of empty shelves, but sometimes one cannot always know if the picture was taken of a shelf where plenty of something with a short shelf life was displayed earlier that day and it all got bought and the photograph taken at 11 pm for getting a story out of nothing unusual.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 22:59:37

Thank you both for checking, I am relieved that it is not everywhere.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 23:01:02

I didn’t take a photo, but believe me the empty shelves were very real in M&S yesterday at 1pm.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 23:01:52

I use the boil in the bag rice, it's easy and turns out better than when I used to have a glued up saucepan.

MayBeMaw Wed 22-Sep-21 23:03:13

ElderlyPerson

Why not order Tesco’s own brand for this week and get extra when the Tilda rice becomes available again? It keeps for ages and takes up very little cupboard space.

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 23:07:43

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/259758829

It's cheaper but you have to use gas or electricity to boil it

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 23:38:41

MayBeMaw

ElderlyPerson

Why not order Tesco’s own brand for this week and get extra when the Tilda rice becomes available again? It keeps for ages and takes up very little cupboard space.

I ordered the Lemon and Herbs version instead. I use 21 packs of microwave rice each week, most are the Tilda plain Basmati and some the Lemon and Herb. They are the only two that I have. I have tried various of the plain ones but I prefer the Tilda basmati. I will try to monitor the situation and if the plain becomes available again before delivery I can change some of it.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 23:52:21

Callistemon

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/259758829

It's cheaper but you have to use gas or electricity to boil it

I don't have a hob, I just have the microwave cooker.

I bought two slow cookers as a back up in around March 2020 in case microwave rice became unavailable and I needed to use uncooked rice and cook it. I got some boxes of rice at the time too. I have not actually used the slow cookers yet.

Some years ago when my then microwave cooker broke down I was able to make hot meals for a while using hot water from a kettle with the microwave rice as it is already cooked and sterile and is only heated in the microwave cooker, not actually cooked. Indeed I was reliably informed that the microwave rice can be eaten straight out of the pack if one so chooses.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 23:56:30

Whitewavemark2

I didn’t take a photo, but believe me the empty shelves were very real in M&S yesterday at 1pm.

Thank you.

Evidence from a much-respected lady on Gransnet has for me a credibility far higher than a media photograph.

theworriedwell Thu 23-Sep-21 08:38:10

Callistemon

^There was alot of lovely fruit/veg/salad stuff in the pannier market.^ did they have plenty of turnips?

(aka swede elsewhere ?)

I saw Angela Rippon in there once.

Yes, they seemed to have a good variety of stuff. I had my Sainsbury's weekly delivery this morning. A few things missing, no Maris Piper potatoes the substitution was baking potatoes which I didn't want. If potatoes go short I will be panicking, I wish I bought them in the market yesterday but it is too far to go again. For the first time ever I didn't get the Sunday roast I ordered, no beef so I guess it is going to be chicken out of the freezer. Few other bit but nothing essential.

theworriedwell Thu 23-Sep-21 08:39:33

MayBeMaw

ElderlyPerson

But then we get told off for panic buying. We can't win can we.

Maudi Thu 23-Sep-21 09:00:02

23:52ElderlyPerson

Have you ever tried Couscous, the Lemon and Parsley one is nice, you just add water and leave for a few minutes and hey presto it's ready.

ElderlyPerson Thu 23-Sep-21 09:12:30

Yet what is the so-called 'panic buying'.

I remember in around March 2020 when the 'pain-buying waah!' was being claimed, but I think it was Sky News interviewed a woman of about thirty or so coming out of a supermarket with a trolleyfull and she was perfectly calm and said that as the government was suggesting the possibility of being in isolation for fourteen days, she needed to make sure she had enough food in the house for her husband, their children and herself for fourteen days.

So prudence not panic.

Management must manage and she was managing her home situation.

I read somewhere that people who have lived through a famine very often keep a stockpile of food for the rest of their lives.

I wonder if the fear of food shortages in Spring 2020 and now has a similar lasting effect on people.

MaizieD Thu 23-Sep-21 09:32:03

I think that panic buying is rushing to the supermarket and clearing the shelves of toilet paper (though, that might be done with a view to selling them on at inflated prices if there is a shortage).

Building up an emergency stock of food by buying a few extra items one considers to be necessaries over a period of time is what EP calls 'prudence'. 'Preppers' do it all the time; it doesn't empty shop shelves like panic buying does.

Doodledog Thu 23-Sep-21 10:39:26

I have always had a large stock of food in the pantry 'in case'. In case of what, I don't know, but it is the way I was brought up, and I've done it since I married at 21.

It's not panic buying, and I rather resent other people telling me that I am panicking - I'm not. I just prefer to know that we could eat if I can't get to the shops for any reason. It may be pasta with custard, but we won't starve.

The thing is - once the stock is built up, there is no need to over-buy. I probably buy the same as anyone else, but just do it differently from those who shop twice a week. Perishables are bought as we need them, as are things like tinted tomatoes (only less often, as I buy them six at a time) and rice, pasta etc are bought in bulk maybe annually. Loo rolls are bought from Costa in 48-roll packs, and always have been. As it happened, we had just bought one a few days before the first lockdown. I didn't buy any more until we were ready (ie down to three rolls or so) and I was able to give several packs of 4 to the foodbank when the shelves were empty.

If someone saw my trolley on the day I was stocking up, it may look as though I was stockpiling, and in the literal sense I suppose I am - but I am not getting more than my share, and am definitely not panicking.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:19:37

ElderlyPerson

Whitewavemark2

Thank you.

Evidence from a much-respected lady on Gransnet has for me a credibility far higher than a media photograph.

blush

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:23:53

Prepping is common sense.

I have just purchase a small camping stove in case of fuel outages this winter. Hopefully won’t need it but having given our last one to GS (as you do) it will come in handy for future picnics.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:25:03

Prepping can range from buying extra bits and pieces as you go along to sowing vegetables in case of shortage etc.

Common sense.

FannyCornforth Thu 23-Sep-21 12:00:45

Whitewave I don’t know if you go on Mumsnet, but the Prepping board on there is fascinating.
I love reading those threads.
I became a prepper due to them.
Prepping is a good and positive way of feeling that you can control your own situation in difficult circumstances.
There’s more to it than ‘panic buying’ - in fact preppers are the opposite of panic buyers.

GillT57 Thu 23-Sep-21 13:38:26

I agree that prepping or having a decent larder is sensible and I always have done so, an extra packet or two of coffee with my shopping, buying loo rolls in big packs rather than small. Common sense really, although a couple of people on GN did accuse me of panic buying when I said I bought 3 packs of ground coffee rather than one. confused

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Sep-21 13:50:07

EP it’s available here (distribution depot is Southampton) I always order Tesco’s own.