Gransnet forums

News & politics

Don’t underestimate this u-turn

(162 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 07:00:15

Johnson is, as reported in the FT yesterday a.m. going to issue “temporary” visas for lorry drivers from Europe.

The media will play this down, but the implication of this humiliation was not lost on the cabinet who were totally split on this decision as they understood the optics of this u-turn and how it will play out in the U.K.

They know that leaving the single market has never been voted on by the British public, and a return would undoubtedly be welcomed by the vast majority. Leaving the single market never made any economic sense as can be seen by the chaos continuing to spread throughout the economy.

Holding the line was extremely important to the Brexiters and this crack is very unwelcome indeed, who argued for continued chaos rather than do something they swore would never happen again.

Rely on migrant Labour.

They were wrong and are wrong on so much more.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 12:26:36

So now we see that lots of other people are being “encouraged” to come to the U.K. to help dig us out of the Brexit mess we are in.

So shortage of lorry drivers has been partly blamed by a world shortage, but of course has hit the U.K. worse because of Brexit.

But I had no idea that there was a world shortage of butchers, meat processors, abattoir workers, vegetable pickers, fruit pickers, food packers, poultry processors, social care workers, hospitality workers, hospital workers, clinicians, vets.

To name just a few.

I wonder how the world is managing without it being an apparent crises with their governments running around like headless chickens in total denial.

Kali2 Fri 01-Oct-21 19:00:19

THAT is indeed the question- and the other one is - as it has been known for a long time, what did the Government do about it- and why they did not make a special case for retaining foreign EU drivers- as they knew full well that there would be a great shortage!?!

MayBee70 Fri 01-Oct-21 18:40:46

So did brexit help the situation or make it worse?

Lincslass Fri 01-Oct-21 18:35:28

Josianne

I often think migrants doing these jobs must privately feel pretty puzzled why the country can't find enough workers of their own. To me the emphasis needs to switch.

Perhaps those who are just repeating the same old memes and blaming all on the government should look at British Trucking on You Tube. Gives plenty of reasons why truckers are leaving and don’t want to work in the Industry anymore. Some are from 6 or more years ago. Easy to just sit back and put all the blame on Brexit, perhaps the EU commission should look at it too.

varian Fri 01-Oct-21 18:23:20

lemongrove

It was completely lawful as you well know and Parliament voted to uphold the result.The fact that they didn’t like the result and tried to slide out of implementing it is neither here nor there.

The dishonesty and law breaking by Vote Leave was well established and would have been enough to nullify the result or the fraudulent referendum, had it not bee classified as "only advisory"

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Oct-21 18:11:21

Oh well I never

U-turn on the deadline.

Clearly no driver is biting, so Johnson trying another tactic and extending the deadline

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-Sep-21 09:21:05

lemongrove

It was completely lawful as you well know and Parliament voted to uphold the result.The fact that they didn’t like the result and tried to slide out of implementing it is neither here nor there.

No the courts found vote leave guilty. The reason it couldn’t pursue this under electoral law was because the referendum was advisory only and did not come under the commissioners remit.

There was fraud committed both financial and written.

lemongrove Mon 27-Sep-21 09:17:11

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-Sep-21 07:45:08

Vote leave broke electoral law, how can the referendum be deemed lawful?

MaizieD Mon 27-Sep-21 07:31:50

Sweetpeasue

When I was referring to being democratic I was meaning that we believe in honouring elections and referendum results voted by the people.

No need to 'honour' result of an advisory referendum won by lies and cheating. 'Honour' is a word which grates in that context. There was nothing honourable about that result.

Democracy depends on truth and transparency, too.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-Sep-21 06:44:03

FT reporting that the government is to lower the starting salary at which students start paying back their loan.

The move is said to try to “encourage” more young into vocational subjects.

Like lorry drivers I suppose.

It won’t affect the wealthy young of course. They won’t be “encouraged” anywhere.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 22:59:00

When I was referring to being democratic I was meaning that we believe in honouring elections and referendum results voted by the people.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Sep-21 22:57:40

theworriedwell, nail on head - lazy and disorganised. We really can't compare ourselves with Germany, where they still have real apprenticeships and a skilled workforce.

Most current problems are due to the disruption of Covid - and an incompetent government.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 22:55:46

Son says it is as something about you paying more tax. He employs the staff so I'd have thought he would know.

MaizieD Sun 26-Sep-21 22:50:10

Sweetpeasue

This is untrue. Tim Martin actually told his staff that while being furloughed he'd allow them to work somewhere else like Tesco. Win win for staff.

Was that actually legal?

MaizieD Sun 26-Sep-21 22:48:56

'Democracy' also encompasses the freedom to object and to work to change policies etc. It's far more complex than people want to believe.

Welshwife Sun 26-Sep-21 22:30:03

But democracy also needs the processes to be legal and the population to be told the truth!

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 22:08:28

There certainly was a lot of confusion at the time theworriedwell Have just been recapping news articles at the time. Tim Martin sparks a lot of controversy, but he did tell staff they could work at Tesco during furlough and he did keep on the vast majority of his staff. Son has sent other given me other links but this thread is not all about Tim Martin and I allowed myself to be drawn in by being defensive of my son's hard workload.
I do think that these political issues are always complicated and are way beyond my experience but I have to say that democracy is about abiding by the result of people's voting whether or not its the result you wanted.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Sep-21 21:45:52

Furlough ends next week. Expect unemployment to rise.

theworriedwell Sun 26-Sep-21 21:33:51

Didn't Tim Martin tell his staff he wouldn't/couldn't pay them until the govt gave him the money. Maybe there was confusion.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 20:47:28

This is untrue. Tim Martin actually told his staff that while being furloughed he'd allow them to work somewhere else like Tesco. Win win for staff.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 20:09:27

Sweetpeasue

The 'pinging' system that forced staff to stay home caused a lot of staff shortages. My son, who manages a 'spoons' has been run ragged - - you've no idea. ?
And if every pub was to only produce meals with 'local' food there'd be a LOT of people out of jobs. Surely there has to be both.

Tim Martin CHOSE to sack his staff and NOT furlough- THAT is what has caused the shortage. Those who wer sacked, whilst her friends in other pubs and restaurants got furloughed- DO remember, and will not work for Tim Martin again. Fair enough, I'd say.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 20:06:51

lemongrove

*Kali*...hate to be pedantic but the post above yours by Barmeyoldbat ( not hat) contained no mention of Spoons, that was your contribution.

Yes, that bit was.

lemongrove Sun 26-Sep-21 20:02:03

I can’t return the insult Barmeyoldbat as I have never noticed your comments before today.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Sep-21 17:01:17

Just to say yes it was my post and no I didn’t mention Spoons, BUT I had only been talking with Mr B armed moments before about the awful steak I had in spoons the night before while we were staying in Swansea. Everything else was fine but the steak, urgh. So maybe Lemongrove has powers that we don’t know about and can read my mind! If that is the case you will know what I think about most of your comments.