Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Johnson a "bad-luck" politician/Prime Minister?

(146 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 30-Sep-21 10:04:11

It's something I have begun to wonder about. I know someone will explain that we make our own luck but that might be more worrying because it is spilling onto the electorate.

Have we had "lucky" and "unlucky" PMs or is it just an outcome of how they prepare and cover all possibilities?

Calendargirl Thu 30-Sep-21 10:31:50

Gordon Brown always seemed unlucky to me, just doomed from the start.

PippaZ Thu 30-Sep-21 11:28:44

As far as I am aware, no one thinks that Churchill was unlucky, yet he had to cope with war.

I'm pondering on GB. It was unlucky that we had the financial crisis but he was well thought of, especially internationally for his handling of it. Tony Blair had a more upbeat manner. Perhaps someone with a dour demeanour comes over as someone who thinks themselves to be unlucky?

M0nica Thu 30-Sep-21 11:29:15

Gordon Brown was not unlucky. In fact he was lucky, given his personality, to get where he did. But Tony Blair recognised that his intelletual ability and capacity was essential to the success of New Labour, but because of Brown's inability to empathise with people as individuals, rather than as just economic entities with needs that could be addressed with the right financial policies, he was doomed from the start.

I had and still have an immense respect for Gordon Brown, as an indivdual, but as Prime Minster he was his own worst enemy.

Boris Johnson, on the other hand is a serial liar and cheat, of limited intellectual ability, he made be clever, that that is something else entirely. He is a man with no thought of anything but his own aggrandisement. Most of his problems, COVID apart,are entirely of his own making.

PippaZ Thu 30-Sep-21 11:58:25

Our "bad luck" does seem to have come with, and still be coming with, Johnson though.

I agree with you about Gordon Brown but then I think we were lucky he was in power when he was.

Perhaps what has caught my eye is when a country is or isn't unlucky with the person in charge. It could be more about our bad luck than his.

rosie1959 Thu 30-Sep-21 12:21:05

The Coronavirus was pretty unlucky no government in recent times has had to deal with anything similar

25Avalon Thu 30-Sep-21 12:27:41

What?! Churchill wasn’t unlucky? He spent years out of government and ignored when he warned about Germany rearming. Everyone wanted appeasement. It was only at the last minute he was called to office. Which was lucky - for us that is.

JaneJudge Thu 30-Sep-21 12:34:56

^ but because of Brown's inability to empathise with people as individuals, rather than as just economic entities with needs that could be addressed with the right financial policies, he was doomed from the start^

I always wondered if his impatience was triggered by the real life trauma he had been going through around that time.

I don't think our PM is a bad luck PM, I think he is lazy.

varian Thu 30-Sep-21 19:43:55

It was bad luck for all of us when Johnson spinned a coin to decide whether to support Leave or Remain, that it landed on the wrong side.

lemongrove Thu 30-Sep-21 19:50:36

No the PM ( or anyone else for that matter) is ‘unlucky’ in themselves, it’s all ‘Events, dear boy, events!’

Grannynannywanny Thu 30-Sep-21 19:55:23

Received this from a friend.

Deedaa Thu 30-Sep-21 20:06:55

He's not unlucky, he's a bone idle incompetent who just wanted to be PM.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 30-Sep-21 20:33:30

Deedaa

He's not unlucky, he's a bone idle incompetent who just wanted to be PM.

That’s it. To the point.

Scones Thu 30-Sep-21 20:36:31

I reckon Boris Johnson is getting all the luck he deserves.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Sep-21 20:43:52

I think Gordon Brown was an honest and ernest politician
Johnson is just an incompetent bumbling, lying turncoat who has caused the country to take a massive spin down making us unlucky

mokryna Thu 30-Sep-21 21:16:39

Luck doesn’t come into it. Johnson wanted to be PM. He didn’t tell the truth about Brexit, he got what he wanted and the poorest got poorer. If he had done his job properly and been present at the COBRA meetings in January 2019, the UK, wouldn’t have one of the worst death rates among the richest European countries.

M0nica Thu 30-Sep-21 23:11:24

JJ Gordon Brown's flaws had been evident long before pis family tragedied, although events like those he faced cannot have helped any.

Many, many years ago I read a description of Sir Alec Douglas-Home was PM. He was described as 'a good teapot, but a bad pourer'. The same description could be used of Gordon Brown.

varian Fri 01-Oct-21 18:31:01

Grannynannywanny

Received this from a friend.

That portrays Laura Kuenssberg to a T.

MayBee70 Fri 01-Oct-21 18:38:31

It crossed my mind today that Johnson writes his own speeches because he thinks he’s clever enough to do it. Which is why he comes across as a bumbling idiot. I was shocked when I realised years ago that politicians didn’t actually write their own speeches although I assume they would put lots of input into them and wouldn’t say anything they disagreed with.

Mollygo Fri 01-Oct-21 19:11:30

PM’s are lucky or unlucky depending on how they affect you and yours and after that, how they affect the country/future. Maggie wasn’t particularly unlucky for us, GB had a lasting unlucky impact.
BJ seems to be unlucky all round but then I ask myself what would any of the others have done about Brexit or how they would have coped with COVID and the ‘you can’t tell me what to do’ Brits.
What has become more and moreapparent to me, since Tony Blair’s time in office, is how being close to any PM can benefit you.

JaneJudge Fri 01-Oct-21 20:37:43

M0nica

JJ Gordon Brown's flaws had been evident long before pis family tragedied, although events like those he faced cannot have helped any.

Many, many years ago I read a description of Sir Alec Douglas-Home was PM. He was described as 'a good teapot, but a bad pourer'. The same description could be used of Gordon Brown.

Most probably sad I just felt empathy for what he was going through at that time.

MayBee70 Fri 01-Oct-21 20:57:44

He’s been very good on radio etc throughout the pandemic. Talks such sense.

M0nica Fri 01-Oct-21 22:01:31

JJ, so did I. I have always had a lot of time for GB, despite never voting Labour. Some politicians integrity and principles raise them above their party allegiances.

MaizieD Fri 01-Oct-21 22:46:45

BJ seems to be unlucky all round but then I ask myself what would any of the others have done about Brexit or how they would have coped with COVID and the ‘you can’t tell me what to do’ Brits.

Well, they didn't turn out to be 'you can't tell me what to do' Brits at all, did they? They turned out to be astonishingly ready to do whatever was necessary to try to stem the covid pandemic. So that stupid excuse for Johnson's total inadequacy won't work.

My dog could have coped with covid better than Johnson.. There is no excuse whatsoever for him.

He makes his own bad luck by being a totally incompetent bullshitter...

PippaZ Fri 01-Oct-21 23:18:39

Mollygo

PM’s are lucky or unlucky depending on how they affect you and yours and after that, how they affect the country/future. Maggie wasn’t particularly unlucky for us, GB had a lasting unlucky impact.
What has become more and moreapparent to me, since Tony Blair’s time in office, is how being close to any PM can benefit you.

I'm not sure that was what I was thinking. Perhaps the events being the very ones that might expose his shortcomings might be it.