Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Johnson a "bad-luck" politician/Prime Minister?

(147 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 30-Sep-21 10:04:11

It's something I have begun to wonder about. I know someone will explain that we make our own luck but that might be more worrying because it is spilling onto the electorate.

Have we had "lucky" and "unlucky" PMs or is it just an outcome of how they prepare and cover all possibilities?

PippaZ Tue 05-Oct-21 21:19:12

lemongrove

We can all take some responsibility for our own health though,
Exercise, eating properly, not too much alcohol and not smoking for starters.
There has always been a two tier system if you have enough money, who wouldn’t pay for an operation or consultation ( if they can) and it will be done more quickly than on the NHS.
Many people do turn to family before asking the State as well.
We all know that due to Covid there will be a backlog of cases,
And while we can’t always ‘help ourselves’ a lot of the time we can and it makes sense to do that.

You should have been a Victorian "lemongrove". You could then have really enjoyed telling everyone what to do, especially the poor and disposed. You could even have been part of the Board deciding who was deserving and who was undeserving.

PippaZ Tue 05-Oct-21 21:21:49

ayse

JaneJudge

Whitewavemark2

This is an aside but very worrying I think.

Javid - the Health Secretary - in his speech said that the state should not be responsible for providing health and social care. Individuals should look first to their own resources before then turning to the family and community and finally the state.

Blimey!

shock shock

They are intent on sending us back to the 1930s. I think they are just evil

I have a feeling someone in this lot may be ayse.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 21:24:51

Disposed? ?
Ah yes, where’s my top hat and cane?
There is nothing wrong with tying our best to look after our own health.Granted, it would be difficult for some people, but for much of the population it can be done.Posters forget that most people in this country are not living on the poverty line.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 21:26:31

I don't know why my comment was deleted. My daughter will not receive care if social care funding is withdrawn. I can't live off fresh air either.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 21:27:32

You do know why it was deleted Jane!

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 21:28:12

lemongrove

You do know why it was deleted Jane!

sorry but you seem to think it is hilarious my daughter wont receive funding for her care

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 21:30:18

What solution do you think they have in mind? whilst they squirrel away their millions abroad? please tell me as my family have always paid tax and been fair.

We already cannot get care staff because of brexit

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 21:35:55

Jane there is no such comment from me to you about any family member.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 21:37:31

So instead of trying to wind people up why don't you post what you actually believe in?

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 21:41:24

I already have done, and if there is any winding up being done it certainly isn’t from me!
It’s a fact that many of us here in the UK can try our best to look after our bodies, after that we all need medical care, and if we can afford it can do it privately ( as people already do.)
After that, the NHS is there for all of us when we need it, but
There is a backlog due to Covid and many things will take much longer to access.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 21:51:40

Yes, people already access private healthcare if they can afford to even during Covid. What is your point?

What happens to the people who cannot afford private healthcare?

What happens to people who have never had the capacity to afford it? this relates to my deleted comment as what do you think will happen?

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 21:56:57

People who have never had the money to go private (healthcare) will do as they always have done ( including myself) and use the NHS.

Scones Tue 05-Oct-21 22:00:02

*We can all take some responsibility for our own health though,
Exercise, eating properly, not too much alcohol and not smoking for starters*

Health rests heavily on many other factors though doesn't it. Education, housing, the environment, genetics for example.

Those in poverty (18% in low income group or 27% where someone in the family is disabled according to the government's own stats) have little or no control over these factors. Those of us that need help the most have least control over the external factors causing us to need care.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 22:00:12

Will they though? both my Mum and mother in law are both paying for private healthcare operations and treatment which should be provided by the NHS. I have also had to pay for treatment recently for me and one of my sons which should be provided.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 22:06:23

Covid has put a terrible strain on the NHS, and many of the workers are burned out with stress and off sick.
It’s just a tough fact that if we need a consultation or op quickly then unless it’s serious then we will have to wait longer at the moment for any NHS treatment.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Oct-21 22:07:29

Scones

*We can all take some responsibility for our own health though,
Exercise, eating properly, not too much alcohol and not smoking for starters*

Health rests heavily on many other factors though doesn't it. Education, housing, the environment, genetics for example.

Those in poverty (18% in low income group or 27% where someone in the family is disabled according to the government's own stats) have little or no control over these factors. Those of us that need help the most have least control over the external factors causing us to need care.

And genes. We can’t help the cards we are dealt. Like being born with a disability. Disabilities that frequently come with many other health issues.

Can you imagine any private health insurance being willing to insure those folk? Or if they do imagine the premiums.

Those folk are often entirely dependent on care.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 22:09:25

There are lots of people in my family who work for the NHS lemongrove.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Oct-21 22:11:35

If the Tories had built on Browns funding which had brought the NHS to the best place it had been for decades instead of squandering all the good that had been done by running it into the ground with year on year cuts since 2010, and subsequent shortage of staff to the tune of 100000, then it would be in a much better place regarding its ability to cope.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 22:18:26

The NHS is coping and has done so marvellously throughout the Pandemic, but that does come at a cost where everything else is concerned because all the people who were waiting for treatment 18 months ago are now top of the list, causing a backlog.It’s not difficult to understand.
Serious cases will always be dealt with.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 22:21:01

that is a very simplistic way at looking at the complex issues people in the UK face via health and social care

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Oct-21 22:21:19

“Tomorrow 4.4 million households, with 5.1m adults and 3.5m children, will see their incomes fall by £1,000 overnight. For 1 million households that will mean an immediate loss of over 10% of their income as we take the basic rate of benefits to its lowest level since 1990”

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 22:22:41

serious cases go to panel if someone has a serious disability or health issue by the way = loss adjustment

MayBee70 Wed 06-Oct-21 00:19:19

I’m trying to find what Keir said about health in his speech. I’m pretty sure that he said he wanted to give people the means and the information with which to keep themselves healthy. Too tired to dig it out tonight, though.

vegansrock Wed 06-Oct-21 07:58:06

By that logic those who smoke and drink and don’t take exercise should just not get treatment or go to the bottom of the queue. If you fall off your bike and break a leg - you obviously weren’t taking care of yourself properly and shouldn’t have been behaving so dangerously.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 08:30:28

Carers already carry out a huge amount if caring and generally only turn to the state when it becomes too difficult to carry on without help

“Turn to family first, not the state, for social care" say Javid?
Family and other unpaid carers save the economy £118 BILLION a year already, and many go on to care long after they're broken by it themselves.
He'll know this of course.”