Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now is the winter of Britain’s discontent

(261 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:57:09

Day after day there are articles like this in the worlds press.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 12:30:10

Apparently one of the biggest shortages is in warehouses with forklift drivers.

Who knew!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 12:28:22

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

So by absorbing 20% or even more and not increasing your prices that will mean that your prophets will decrease.

If every business in the U.K. did this our ability to attract inward investment would disappear.

Generalisation. Whitewavemark2 you are not party to business operating models.

Some businesses run with overdrafts, loans along with mortgages and rents, some don’t.

There are posters on here, including yourself who have been extremely vociferous regarding Companies making huge profits. If now is the time for profit margins to decrease in the short term, well an efficiently run company should be able to absorb that, looking forward some may eventually be passed on to the end user depending on their individual circumstances.

No it isn’t generalisations it is economics.

And of course we can see if we desire the way a company is being run. There is a snapshot taken yearly.

Alegrias1 Sun 03-Oct-21 12:28:07

So, we're repeatedly being told on here that the lorry driver shortage isn't due to Brexit. In fact GG13 showed us a graph the other day that showed what a relatively small proportion of drivers came from the EU, and how a relatively small proportion of those had gone home.

Yet, we are also told that the reason for low wages in the haulage industry is that the haulage companies had been employing EU nationals at low, low wages, and that was edging out the UK drivers.

Can't both be true.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 12:23:23

Whitewavemark2

So by absorbing 20% or even more and not increasing your prices that will mean that your prophets will decrease.

If every business in the U.K. did this our ability to attract inward investment would disappear.

Generalisation. Whitewavemark2 you are not party to business operating models.

Some businesses run with overdrafts, loans along with mortgages and rents, some don’t.

There are posters on here, including yourself who have been extremely vociferous regarding Companies making huge profits. If now is the time for profit margins to decrease in the short term, well an efficiently run company should be able to absorb that, looking forward some may eventually be passed on to the end user depending on their individual circumstances.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:59:13

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:58:43

Whitewavemark2 at least it will reduce our Capital Gains Tax for the next tax year (wink

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:57:02

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

Whitewavemark2

Good grief of course not, but I am not in agreement of the sort of lunatic economics Johnson is now employing which has shocked the economy and driving some employers to offer as much as 30% extra. Yes perhaps they are worth the extra, but it should be done at a much more sedate pace than is currently the case.

Ask yourself. Could your business sustain a 30% or 20% wage increase without increasing your prices?

I do not have to ask myself that question as all our employees are paid way above the living wage, always have been and always will.

We learned very early on that you get what you pay for, both in goods no workforce.

The hauliers have been paying immigrant drivers as little as possible for the most hours for a good few years, hence the massive drain of U.K. drivers which is wrong on all levels. It’s time for them to pay decent wages and yes it’s down to the U.K. public to realise that everything cannot be supplied ^as cheep as chips^

Could your business sustain a 20% rise without raising your prices.

I think your honest answer will be “no”

If you read my post its down to the U.K. public to realise that everything cannot be supplied as cheep as chips is my answer.

As for for us being able to absorb a 20% increase, we have done in the past and may have to do so fairly soon due to logistical problems on Chinese and India Imports.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:52:35

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

Whitewavemark2

Good grief of course not, but I am not in agreement of the sort of lunatic economics Johnson is now employing which has shocked the economy and driving some employers to offer as much as 30% extra. Yes perhaps they are worth the extra, but it should be done at a much more sedate pace than is currently the case.

Ask yourself. Could your business sustain a 30% or 20% wage increase without increasing your prices?

I do not have to ask myself that question as all our employees are paid way above the living wage, always have been and always will.

We learned very early on that you get what you pay for, both in goods no workforce.

The hauliers have been paying immigrant drivers as little as possible for the most hours for a good few years, hence the massive drain of U.K. drivers which is wrong on all levels. It’s time for them to pay decent wages and yes it’s down to the U.K. public to realise that everything cannot be supplied ^as cheep as chips^

Could your business sustain a 20% rise without raising your prices.

I think your honest answer will be “no”

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:51:04

* no should be *and

Ashcombe Sun 03-Oct-21 11:50:52

Here’s the link for those who missed The Andrew Marr Show:-

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010bbd/the-andrew-marr-show-03102021

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:50:21

Whitewavemark2

Whitewavemark2

The hauliers have been paying immigrant drivers as little as possible for the most hours for a good few years, hence the massive drain of U.K. drivers which is wrong on all levels. It’s time for them to pay decent wages and yes it’s down to the U.K. public to realise that everything cannot be supplied as cheep as chips

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:49:59

I am absolutely with you on that, but Johnson’s illiterate economics is not the answer.

Daisend1 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:49:06

Domed again are we ?Oh dear .Myself as did many other GN survived 39-45 is this present situation worse .?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:45:56

I just cannot see why anyone can think that paying migrant labour low wages and subjecting them in a lot of instances to living in sub-standard accommodation, with little or no job protection is preferable to paying a living wage to U.K. citizens.

(I am also vehemently against this practise in other countries, particularly the thousands and thousands of acres of poly tunnels in Spain, and it’s atrocious treatment of migrant workers)

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:43:34

Whitewavemark2

PippaZ Sun 03-Oct-21 11:42:43

Alegrias1

To look on the bright side, I learnt a new word.

Hecatomb

I spotted that too. He can't resist, can he. Man of the people of course wink

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:42:31

Reply to gg13

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:42:07

Kali2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:41:22

In the meantime, the foreign Press, from Left to Right, and Charlie Hebdo and all political satyre magazines are having a field day. Social media and TV news too. It is not a good look!

www.facebook.com/groups/RemainInTheEuropeanUnion/permalink/3077262885881719/

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:38:59

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2 there is no pleasing some people.

Would you rather salaries remain low, people reliant on UC and food banks?

Those who oppose this Government have been constantly bemoaning the fact that many people in the U.K. are living in poverty. The way out of poverty is to increase wages.

Interest rates have been at record lows, they will in all probability increase.

More money circulating in the economy provides more jobs and opportunities.

No of course not but Johnson’s actions of cutting off the supply of Labour at a stroke is causing unnecessary upward pressure on inflation. We already have a lot of pressure from world commodity price inflation, and to add wage inflation at this stage is ridiculous.

Yes of course people should be paid the proper rate for the job, but to suggest that Johnson’s economic illiteracy is the answer is wrong.

The only people who will gain from this are the wealthy who can invest their savings as interest rates rise. The poor will simply get poorer as the continue to struggle with a big rise in the cost of living. There is already an enormous rise as a result of price inflation, to compound it with big wage rises ( someone said this morning 30% in some cases ) is madness.

So you are against salary increases?

Funny that as I can remember you posting that NHS workers deserved a significantly larger salary increase than the Government intended to award them.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:38:28

To follow on from maizie one way to control inflation and history shows it is a favourite of the Tories is to cut the money supply in order to control inflation by raising interest rates etc. The last time this was employed by Thatcher we ended. Up with 3 million unemployed and a stagnant economy .

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:35:53

growstuff whilst I have learnt some very useful facts from MaizieD I have together with DH run a successful SME for 40 years. We have trained in-house and as company have evolved with the times and needs of both our customer base, suppliers and first and foremost our employees.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:33:21

GrannyGravy13

Those who oppose this Government have been constantly bemoaning the fact that many people in the U.K. are living in poverty. The way out of poverty is to increase wages.

No of course not but Johnson’s actions of cutting off the supply of Labour at a stroke is causing unnecessary upward pressure on inflation. We already have a lot of pressure from world commodity price inflation, and to add wage inflation at this stage is ridiculous.

Yes of course people should be paid the proper rate for the job, but to suggest that Johnson’s economic illiteracy is the answer is wrong.

The only people who will gain from this are the wealthy who can invest their savings as interest rates rise. The poor will simply get poorer as the continue to struggle with a big rise in the cost of living. There is already an enormous rise as a result of price inflation, to compound it with big wage rises ( someone said this morning 30% in some cases ) is madness.

MaizieD Sun 03-Oct-21 11:33:03

GrannyGravy13

Blimey!

Someone 'gets' it!

But, to avoid inflation, increased wages have to be paid for by higher productivity and/or lower profits.

I don't think that micro managed workers, such as lorry drivers, can actually increase their productivity any further, neither can many other micromanaged employees. And I can't see companies willingly taking lower profits, especially if driven by the need to produce high dividends for shareholders.

And, if a government is determined to take money out of the economy by cutting government spending, as they are already doing, where is the increased earnings for companies supposed to come from?

Not to mention all the business lost as a result of Brexit.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Oct-21 11:32:44

growstuff you are probably not going to like my answer, but here goes.

Tony Blair started the push for more and more youngsters to go to University when the emphasis should have been split between vocational and academia. Since then there has been a growing trend in the U.K. towards what I call snob-jobs The hospitality industry, building, plumbing, electricians, nursing and care are all worthwhile vocations and have largely been ignored or sidelined for tech, trading and of course so many of our young folks want their five minutes of fame on any media platform.

Schools need to go back to being able to teach vocational subjects not just teaching to pass exams not all children know what they want to do in yr9 when they have to decide their exam options. They need to be treated as individuals not mass education statistics