Gransnet forums

News & politics

I get really irritated by the inference that Sunak has been 'generous' in aarranging furlough pay

(11 Posts)
GillT57 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:05:54

Listening to the Tory party and its supporters, you would think Sunak paid for the furlough scheme out of his own pocket! What on earth was the alternative? Mass unemployment, mass benefit claims, mass house repossessions, rents not being paid, businesses crashing, bankruptcies, riots? The Tories did what any government would do, would have to do and I am sick to death of them being praised for doing so. Yes, it was a unique situation, but I assume that any government, irrespective of their political leanings, would do the same, in the UK anyway. Now we are getting the 'housekeeping' statements using furlough as a reason for austerity.

MaizieD Tue 05-Oct-21 17:13:52

I think that they forget that they are public servants. They're elected to govern the country effectively, not to rule over us like monarchs. The arrogance is unbelievable.

Now we are getting the 'housekeeping' statements using furlough as a reason for austerity.

The 'housekeeping' myth is very handy for them. We've already seen it being given as a reason for tax increases for the poor and it will be used to justify the bad austerity measures that are to come. It will plunge us into a depression; that'll be fun...

But of course, it will be blamed on the EU and Remainers ?

Omasweetie Tue 05-Oct-21 20:01:11

Sunak could afford to pay for furlough out of his own pocket.
He is a multi millionaire. As is his wife. That’s the reason he doesn’t understand normal working class people and how much it actually costs to live. I read a european newspaper daily and they cannot understand why we are not all out on the streets protesting at the absolute incompetence of this government.

rosie1959 Tue 05-Oct-21 21:13:25

Blimey Omasweetie the cost of the uk job retention scheme was 68.5 billion pounds Sunak has a wealth of 200m not really going to touch the sides

Dinahmo Tue 05-Oct-21 22:23:54

Omasweetie Neither can I understand. Sunak and his ilk cam have no idea how the rest of us live, even those who are in reasonably well paid jobs. Why did anybody vote for them?

GillT57 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:49:42

I am not that bothered by Sunak's personal wealth, it is what it is, I am more bothered by the inference that we, the taxpayer should somehow be grateful for what was, in all honesty, the only path that could be taken. I acknowledge that covid19 is an unknown and unanticipated impact, but it is not as if the furlough money was saved up and put in accounts in the Cayman islands, people used it to pay their rent, mortgage, buy food, the usual things which keep the economy spinning. The bulk of this £68bn or whatever it adds up to went back into the economy, unlike the £32bn track and trace fiasco.

Dinahmo Wed 06-Oct-21 11:55:36

Listening a while ago to a single parent explaining on James O'Brien how much the loss of £20 per week will make to him. This poor man is also carer to his mother and they cannot afford to pay for a carer and who gets no help. Apparently last nigh he fed his two daughters on tinned ravioli. For himself he added boiled pasta to the tinned ravioli to bulk it up. £20 may not mean much to the majority but to some people it means a great deal.

varian Wed 06-Oct-21 19:40:12

This is utterly disgraceful.

We are supposed to be the sixth richest country in the world - so why should any of our citizens have to rely on food-banks?

nadateturbe Wed 06-Oct-21 20:26:38

I read a european newspaper daily and they cannot understand why we are not all out on the streets protesting at the absolute incompetence of this government.
Neither can I.

Why did anybody vote for them?
And they will, again.

rosie1959 Wed 06-Oct-21 20:51:34

Why did anybody vote for them ?
Probably because the main party in opposition were absolutely useless never mind the tory faithful you are unlikely to change their mind but areas that has never been conservative fell why?
If I was a Labour voter I would be more inclined to be angry against them They had a chance of winning a election and they blew it totally because they couldn't make up their mind on Brexit

JaneJudge Wed 06-Oct-21 20:54:43

my family are in old mining areas, previously labour and now conservative and my mum thinks it because the cons rent offices and are out talking to people day to day running up to elections, so i suspect it's funding related