Gransnet forums

News & politics

The “grim” struggle of living on an MP’s *£81,932 salary* [angry]

(159 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 07-Oct-21 12:14:59

You really could not make this up. Yesterday, the day on which Universal Credit cuts were implemented, Conservative MP Peter Bottomley, complained of the 'desperation' MPs faced by having to live on this meagre salary. angry

I work in a full-time unpaid job 'desperately' trying to plug the gaps created by the effects of austerity cuts implemented by Peter Bottomley's government.

A couple who are aged over 25 receive Universal Credit at the rate of £7,158.96 a year (that's per couple, not each).

Callistemon Thu 07-Oct-21 15:42:17

X posts

You are all very speedy!

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 15:43:33

For me, the crux of this story isn't whether the salaries are appropriate or not. They might well be lower than they deserve.

What matters is that anybody might think living on £80,000 a year is grim.

Callistemon Thu 07-Oct-21 15:44:55

Yes.

Plus a few expenses, don't forget.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 15:45:16

It's so grossly, offensively insensitive.

grannyactivist Thu 07-Oct-21 15:46:22

"I don't know how they manage. It's really grim."

Said by a man who has consistently voted for a reduction in spending on Welfare Benefits; it is a matter of public record record that he also voted against raising Welfare Benefits at least in line with prices, and he has voted against paying higher benefits for longer periods for people who are unable to work due to illness or disability.

So, it couldn't be more stark really could it?

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 15:48:38

Disgraceful.

lemongrove Thu 07-Oct-21 15:49:24

I agree, it’s all about expectations though, if you are used to the ‘high life’ it won’t seem all that well paid, but it’s hardly grim!

ayse Thu 07-Oct-21 15:50:47

I know for a fact that not all accountants earn £80k pa.

I agree with the posters here that all income should be taxed and additionally should be further stepped whilst reducing indirect taxation such as vat and fuel tax. In that way those with small or moderate incomes would keep more of their earnings and outgoings would reduce a little. Indirect taxation is a very unfair method of taxation in my opinion as it is paid equally by all.

As for Peter Bottomley with his three houses and private income in addition to his MPs salary, he has no right to complain. It disgusts me when so many people are wondering how they are going to manage this winter.

vegansrock Thu 07-Oct-21 15:51:17

Perhaps they could go and pick fruit in their summer holidays. Plenty of vacancies.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 07-Oct-21 15:55:07

I was going to say wordsfail me but they don’t. What a disgusting, insensitive remark to make when so many people are struggling and using food banks. But what do expect from a serving member of a government that is without morals. AND this came on the day that my gd who works as a full time career , her husband, part time worker and very young son had to leave their accommodation for emergency housing because they could pay the rent, which had gone up,

grannyactivist Thu 07-Oct-21 16:10:06

Perhaps all aspiring MPs should qualify to stand for election by living for a year on the same rate as Universal Credit, or by living on a minimum wage salary. Maybe then they will have some understanding of the lives of the majority of people they go on to represent.

Following my divorce I was briefly on benefits as a single parent with three young children to support. I can make a sixpence do the work of a shilling, but my determination not to go one penny into debt meant that there were times when I literally lived for days at a time on toast whilst I was on benefits. My children were fed and clothed by the goodwill of the local church and wonderful friends.

I very quickly moved out of the system, but the experience has shaped my understanding of the mental and emotional strain that comes from living on an income that is never enough. I now work (unpaid) with people who are already struggling to survive financially and for whom life is about to get even tougher - and it breaks my heart because I truly fear that some of them won't make it and will kill themselves.

JaneJudge Thu 07-Oct-21 16:38:54

One of his three homes is a block of six flats, so presumably he has income from 7 properties that are let, plus the increase in value as assets and he has a home he lives in himself.

Then he gets paid 82k plus 15k expenses pa, which if you have that much wealth is hardly a slap in the face with a kipper guvnor. I'm not sure if expenses are tax free either or if he has other income

Poor sod grin

Barmeyoldbat Thu 07-Oct-21 17:13:43

Yes like granntactivist after my divorce and with two young children also lived on partial benefits and lived hand to mouth, it was a real struggle that took many years to pull myself away from. I am now a retired Citizen Advice advisor but still keep my hand in by helping those who struggle for whatever reason, because I HAVE BEEN THERE and that is nobody in this government has experienced, let any MP as part of his induction live for a month on UC or as a disabled person.

PippaZ Thu 07-Oct-21 17:20:41

growstuff

Yes, I do remember him Pippa. It always amazes me that people in the top decile or so think they're so poor.

But he "was only" in the to 5% salary wise. He wasn't wrong in saying that many people had so much more from what is usually termed unearned income.

He certainly wasn't poor but was aware he worked for every penny he earned, unlike some who live on the earnings of assets.

PippaZ Thu 07-Oct-21 17:22:21

ayse

I know for a fact that not all accountants earn £80k pa.

I agree with the posters here that all income should be taxed and additionally should be further stepped whilst reducing indirect taxation such as vat and fuel tax. In that way those with small or moderate incomes would keep more of their earnings and outgoings would reduce a little. Indirect taxation is a very unfair method of taxation in my opinion as it is paid equally by all.

As for Peter Bottomley with his three houses and private income in addition to his MPs salary, he has no right to complain. It disgusts me when so many people are wondering how they are going to manage this winter.

He certainly doesn't have a right to complain but then I can't think that I ever thought he would think reasonably.

Rosie51 Thu 07-Oct-21 17:23:33

let any MP as part of his induction live for a month on UC or as a disabled person. unfortunately I don't think it would teach them as much as you'd hope. You can put up with the most dreadful things if you know it's time limited and a one-off. Add into the equation not having to replace the children's shoes, outgrown clothes, broken household equipment or any number of not every week expenses and they'd just go away with a false idea that it's doable.

Alegrias1 Thu 07-Oct-21 17:23:44

I think we're giving the Question Time guy too much credit.

IIRC correctly, he knew that some people earned a lot more than £80k so on £80k he couldn't be in the top 5%. For instance, somebody on £100,000 is earning more than 5% more than he is, so....

grannyactivist Thu 07-Oct-21 17:29:32

Rosie51 - I know what you mean and I agree. The people who have tried living 'homeless' for a week, or on benefits for a month or so have barely scratched the surface of what the reality is for people for whom it's an everyday grind year on year.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Oct-21 17:32:33

Managing year in, year out - robbing Peter to pay Paul.
That is living in poverty.

Blossoming Thu 07-Oct-21 17:32:56

If he’s struggling that much I’ll happily swap incomes with him.

JaneJudge Thu 07-Oct-21 17:37:40

Rosie51

^let any MP as part of his induction live for a month on UC or as a disabled person.^ unfortunately I don't think it would teach them as much as you'd hope. You can put up with the most dreadful things if you know it's time limited and a one-off. Add into the equation not having to replace the children's shoes, outgrown clothes, broken household equipment or any number of not every week expenses and they'd just go away with a false idea that it's doable.

I think you are right, there are some right smug people on that rich house, poor house program which I try not to watch blush

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 17:44:18

PippaZ

growstuff

Yes, I do remember him Pippa. It always amazes me that people in the top decile or so think they're so poor.

But he "was only" in the to 5% salary wise. He wasn't wrong in saying that many people had so much more from what is usually termed unearned income.

He certainly wasn't poor but was aware he worked for every penny he earned, unlike some who live on the earnings of assets.

I agree. It's certainly the case that the richest are those with assets, which are often not taxed at the same rate as earned income, which is a scandal. In that respect, he was correct, but if I remember correctly, he wouldn't accept that he was in the top 5% (or whatever it was) of earners.

Lucca Thu 07-Oct-21 17:51:54

There is something upthread about headteachers earning over £100k. Which they do but your ordinary rank and file teacher most certainly does nit earn anything like that !

growstuff Thu 07-Oct-21 17:58:00

Lucca

There is something upthread about headteachers earning over £100k. Which they do but your ordinary rank and file teacher most certainly does nit earn anything like that !

Indeed! And they'll lose tax, NICs, pension contributions and, for most of them, student loan repayments. And I wouldn't mind betting they work longer hours than Mr Bottomley.

PippaZ Thu 07-Oct-21 17:59:16

Alegrias1

I think we're giving the Question Time guy too much credit.

IIRC correctly, he knew that some people earned a lot more than £80k so on £80k he couldn't be in the top 5%. For instance, somebody on £100,000 is earning more than 5% more than he is, so....

You don't have to tax your memory Alegrais. I quoted what he said earlier but here it is again.

"I’d like to call out Labour as liars," he told Burgon. The man said he was "not even in the top 50%" and claimed that every doctor, accountant, solicitor in the country earned at least £80,000. The the top 5% “don’t even work because they’re rich – they’re not employees,” he added."

As I said, he muddled earnings with income.

To be honest, I brought it up because I wonder about what people's perception of where they sit in the earnings or income scales are. Do we generally think people are "a bit like us" just a little higher or lower?