Gransnet forums

News & politics

Talking about insulation and such measures

(29 Posts)
GillT57 Sun 10-Oct-21 13:57:51

There has obviously been much discussion in the press, on TV etc., about the looming energy price increases and what we can all do to save energy and stay warm. But, all the pundits I have seen are talking about steps such as replacing double glazing, installing thermostatic timers, putting up heavy lined curtains, additional loft insulation etc. All well and good if you can afford the capital outlay and if you are an owner occupier! I would imagine that a lot of those families which will struggle the most are living in rented accomodation, so what are they supposed to do? Should their landlords be undertaking these improvements by law in view of the forthcoming climate discussions?

varian Sun 10-Oct-21 18:39:29

It is a question of priorities. Politicians are able to determine priorities and it is obvious that this should always have been a priority,

Our elected politicians have let us down,.

Esspee Sun 10-Oct-21 22:59:47

MaizieD. Everyone who runs a business does so to make a profit on it. If I open a shop and stock it I sell at a profit.
In my case it is my pension pot. My husband and I invested in property which we then improved and rented out after complying with all regulations. By doing so we were providing quality living accommodation to people who wish to rent. By going way beyond the service usually provided we have had long standing tenants who have become friends. We pay tax on the modest profit.
There is no spin in that.

MaizieD Sun 10-Oct-21 23:05:05

Esspee

*MaizieD*. Everyone who runs a business does so to make a profit on it. If I open a shop and stock it I sell at a profit.
In my case it is my pension pot. My husband and I invested in property which we then improved and rented out after complying with all regulations. By doing so we were providing quality living accommodation to people who wish to rent. By going way beyond the service usually provided we have had long standing tenants who have become friends. We pay tax on the modest profit.
There is no spin in that.

You wrote about 'lending' your house. As if you were doing people a favour. You are not 'lending' it, you are hiring it out. As I said, it is a product and as such it should be fit for use. I'm sure that your houses are fine, but please don't try and make it sound as if landlords are doing anyone any favours.

The prevalence of 'buy to let' is one reason for the shortage of housing for people to buy. It's a thorny topic...