Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, let's leave Conference behind, onwards and forwards ...

(222 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 14:29:50

How do you see things progressing from now on

a) short-term, say from now till Christmas

b) next year

c) and beyond?

BigBertha1 Mon 11-Oct-21 16:44:52

I must say everything does look rather bleak. It feels like everything that can go wrong is going wrong, that no-one is in charge of anything, everything that anyone says or does is criticised, all our past is filled with shame. Putting my head down and planning a good family Xmas - I expect that will all go wrong though. Not feeling very positive.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 16:48:08

Who di call anyone 'thick'- and I certainly did NOT. And I still don't know what N&P means- so what does that make me.

Back to the OP- and the 3 questions, and stick to them, that would be good.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 16:49:37

I'm glad you found it funny Maizie. I am in rather a flippant mood today blush

I honestly cannot believe he shouted 'build back beaver'. I mean it is pretty obvious he loves the beaver but...why shout it out in public for the whole world to hear? wink

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Oct-21 16:52:45

MaizieD

Please let it be, GG13. You've had your holocaust and got someone a suspension.

I'm slightly puzzled about the above exchange, but I don't think anyone was being personally attacked. JJ's 'beaver' joke was funny. I'm not sure where she got the impression that anyone was calling her 'thick' because no-one was.

I would never make jokes regarding the holocaust , GNHQ deems who and why people are suspended not individual GN members.

My moral compass is set in such a way that I find posting Lots of people are thick offensive.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 16:53:46

N&P means news and politics

I don't think anything will happen, ever. I think they are a bunch of lazy, work shy charlatans. I don't think they are fit to even run a supermarket.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Oct-21 16:57:16

Kali2

Who di call anyone 'thick'- and I certainly did NOT. And I still don't know what N&P means- so what does that make me.

Back to the OP- and the 3 questions, and stick to them, that would be good.

Whitewavemark2 posted Lots of people are thick

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 17:11:56

But that was a general statement- and the truth and not to do with GN.

MaizieD Mon 11-Oct-21 17:29:39

Kali2

Certainly not a personal attack on anyone. I think you'll find that it's within the T & C.

MaizieD Mon 11-Oct-21 17:39:34

Kali2

Certainly not a personal attack on anyone. I think you'll find that it's within the T & C.

Josianne Mon 11-Oct-21 18:05:16

OK, so

a) picking up the pieces brought about covid and brexit, and dealing with the fallout.

b) entering a period of tough competition worldwide.

c) putting up a fight where necessary.

Progression in stages

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:20:56

Thanks Josianne. It does all seem VERY vague though, I must say.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:24:57

It was me calling people thick. I meant the ones who object to the reintroduction of beavers and not understanding what wonderful engineers they are and the good that they do.

I do NOT retract that either.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:33:02

AND - it is not directed at a single person on GN, regardless of what some who didn’t read my post properly think.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 18:35:16

I was pulling your leg blush though many may think I am thick wink

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:39:11

JaneJudge

I was pulling your leg blush though many may think I am thick wink

? right I’ll begin again. ??. I began to get quite annoyed??

Need to give my head a wobble.

MamaCaz Mon 11-Oct-21 18:45:25

I have a close family member who, as part of his job, has to try to make landowners realize that wildlife is often the answer to their flooding problems rather than the cause. It's not easy to get the message across.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:49:23

Right it’s obviously just me that thinks calling people (whoever they are) thick is offensive.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 18:54:10

GrannyGravy13

Right it’s obviously just me that thinks calling people (whoever they are) thick is offensive.

It may be offensive, because I meant it to be. Those sort of people are the sort who attack and threaten people like Chris Packham.

I make no apologies.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Oct-21 20:24:19

Thick is what the bullies called my dyslexic child, Thick is what the bullies called my dysphasic Godson and now the bullies are calling my dear GC who is on the spectrum Thick

I also do not apologise for finding the word ^thick* offensive.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 20:28:19

my daughter has a severe learning disability. I think there is a difference between people having a disability or difficulty and people being ignorant/thick in all honesty.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 20:28:51

it does show language is powerful though and how we interpret it

Scones Mon 11-Oct-21 20:34:45

Kali2 Are you Boris Johnson trying to get some ideas? I will make a smiley face now so that nobody thinks I'm serious or unkind. smile

Being serious though cupcake. Sorry, no serious face so I've improvised with a cupcake.

I think the following will happen:-

a) short-term, say from now till Christmas - Things will just get worse. Shortages. More lies. Other countries dealing with crises much better than Britain. Job vacancies everywhere and nobody to fill them. The poor getting poorer. No presents as Father Christmas can't get a visa that will last beyond midnight on Christmas Eve. Elves have been poached by other employers and are driving HGVs or picking cauliflowers.

b) next year - More of the same. Other countries will start sending food parcels and cardigans. People will start to get really fed up and begin wondering if Brexit and voting Tory was such a good idea. Rishi Sunak will become PM when Johnson steps down as the decides King of the World job is not as much of a wheeze as drinking free beer on a lounger at the villa of a millionaire to whom he's just gifted a knighthood.

c) and beyond? - Having hit rock bottom the country realise that culture wars and BuildBackBetter and signwritten buses and 'woke' and 'liberal elite' blah rhubarb blah rhubarb were just a fabrication to take our eye of the truth. The electorate will vote in a capable alternative who can do the job and will make life better for all people and not just the wealthiest. Father Christmas and everyone else will have freedom of movement.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 20:37:02

I don't think that is true
I think they have set the scene for anger
People blaming one another
anarchy and unrest

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Oct-21 20:38:33

GrannyGravy13

Thick is what the bullies called my dyslexic child, Thick is what the bullies called my dysphasic Godson and now the bullies are calling my dear GC who is on the spectrum Thick

I also do not apologise for finding the word ^thick* offensive.

I’m not asking you to.

Today I feel irritated by everything that is happening in this country. That irritation is showing in my choice of language.

Kali2 Mon 11-Oct-21 20:53:04

Scones, thank you for addressing a) b) and c) - very well put.

Mine would be pretty close.