Gransnet forums

News & politics

The EU and Poland are on a collision course.

(252 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 19-Oct-21 16:38:05

Just keep pulling the thread ...
I’m glad we got out when we did. Thank god we weren’t in the Euro.

MaizieD Thu 28-Oct-21 10:43:19

To revert to the subject of this thread, an impressive speech by the Prime Minister of Belgium at the opening ceremony of the College of Europe

twitter.com/alexanderdecroo/status/1453435014948036609

Kali2 Tue 26-Oct-21 19:38:59

Bad faith- wow. Johnson and Lord Frost negotiate a Deal, the NI protocol is totally part of it- they call it perfect, oven-ready and renege on it - and it is the EU that shows bad faith?

This is not about disagreeing, or opinion- it is FACT.

And no, I am afraid you do not seem to understand who WTO is, or how it works. Fact.

Saetana Tue 26-Oct-21 19:21:17

Kali2 Who are you calling a newcomer? I've used Gransnet for years. The EU have shown bad faith ever since we officially left the EU - Northern Ireland Protocal is just one example. And yes of course I know what WTA means - its how we trade with most of the world currently. What it boils down to is the EU doing everything they possibly can to keep us within their sphere of influence - something that is unacceptable to most of us who voted for Brexit.

MaisieD so anyone who disagrees with you has to be a troll of course hmm

Kali2 Sat 23-Oct-21 18:15:03

No, it was quite surprising and unexpected though. Is there an obligatory rule which prevents anyone from being surprised and expressing it?

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 18:08:15

Quote Kali2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:11:15
Saetana- a newcomer comes up with such a post out of the blue? Wow. !

Is there an obligatory probationary period before one is allowed to post one’s own, presumably strongly held , views? confused

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 16:46:18

I was going to comment on that ... but thought better of it.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 16:45:31

?

MaizieD Sat 23-Oct-21 16:44:19

Urmstongran

I love how threads meander.
From Poland to pole dancer.
?

And to Johnson's underwhelming equipment...

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 16:12:02

I love how threads meander.
From Poland to pole dancer.
?

Nezumi65 Sat 23-Oct-21 15:47:57

Oh the quote didn’t show, was referring to Jennifer Accuri confused

Nezumi65 Sat 23-Oct-21 15:47:09

She really is the definition of a woman scorned. grin She’s too dreadful to follow but I do sometimes peer at her Twitter account.

Maremia Sat 23-Oct-21 12:42:35

Raising the tone just a fraction wink, was watching Dateline London, and the third topic was about Poland and the EU. They also discussed mask complacency, but that's for another thread.

MaizieD Sat 23-Oct-21 12:34:05

lemongrove

Am now wondering how you know that Whitewave....did you have a fling with him??

Jennifer Accuri told the world about it apparently.

(Not that google is being very forthcoming, though)

lemongrove Sat 23-Oct-21 12:01:29

Am now wondering how you know that Whitewave....did you have a fling with him??

Whitewavemark2 Sat 23-Oct-21 11:06:34

Nezumi65

Less than a year ago I was told on here by the flag wavers that we had a great deal & that Johnson’s team were great big swinging dicks who had got one over the EU.

Now it’s ‘paltry’? And we’re back to to trying to chuck northern Irish peace on the bonfire. Plus ca change. Long live the Union hmm

The main lesson to come out of Poland (& the U.K.) is that right wing populist governments are dangerous.

? well said. Although big dick and Johnson is not something that naturally go together.

Nezumi65 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:55:39

Less than a year ago I was told on here by the flag wavers that we had a great deal & that Johnson’s team were great big swinging dicks who had got one over the EU.

Now it’s ‘paltry’? And we’re back to to trying to chuck northern Irish peace on the bonfire. Plus ca change. Long live the Union hmm

The main lesson to come out of Poland (& the U.K.) is that right wing populist governments are dangerous.

MaizieD Sat 23-Oct-21 10:26:13

Kali2

Saetana- a newcomer comes up with such a post out of the blue? Wow!

'' Do I care if they revoke our paltry trade agreement and we have to resort to WTA terms? No I do not - it is what we should have done from the outset, we cannot trust the EU to act in good faith about anything connected to Brexit''

Do you have ANY IDEA what WTA (A???) is and what it means? Any idea at all of who WTO is, and what the implications are. And that you can 'trust' them? Talk about un-elected bureautcrats.

As for not being able to trust the EU, who is it who negotiated a Deal, over years, called it perfect and with no downsides, signed it- and then reneged on it immediately as it is not 'good'??? The EU - or the UK?

Don't feed it, Kali2 ?

Alegrias1 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:13:31

Saetana's not a newcomer.

Other descriptions, however, may apply.

Kali2 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:11:15

Saetana- a newcomer comes up with such a post out of the blue? Wow!

'' Do I care if they revoke our paltry trade agreement and we have to resort to WTA terms? No I do not - it is what we should have done from the outset, we cannot trust the EU to act in good faith about anything connected to Brexit''

Do you have ANY IDEA what WTA (A???) is and what it means? Any idea at all of who WTO is, and what the implications are. And that you can 'trust' them? Talk about un-elected bureautcrats.

As for not being able to trust the EU, who is it who negotiated a Deal, over years, called it perfect and with no downsides, signed it- and then reneged on it immediately as it is not 'good'??? The EU - or the UK?

Scones Sat 23-Oct-21 09:59:05

I only read the first page or so of posts - so if someone has already said this, great, if you want to nitpick then please go and find someone who gives a crap!

There speaks a woman who has made up her mind about life and doesn't want to explore new ideas. I do wonder why people who don't give a crap waste their time engaging in these discussions. If you don't give a crap just go about your business and don't give a crap.

I'm very much enjoying the role of chorus which MerylStreep has adopted on Brexit related threads.

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 09:27:36

MaizieD

MerylStreep

Saetana
That post will liven things up a bit ?

I doubt it. It's so absurd it's not worth replying to.

Alegrias 09.12 has put it in a nutshell.

Unfortunately there are those that believe that breaking agreements and bare faced lies are a normal part of life.

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 09:25:42

If it is true that part of the problem is EU abortion and gay legislation women will play a big part in any decision making, because women, even in catholic countries are notably in favor of the right to choose.

MaizieD Sat 23-Oct-21 09:21:18

MerylStreep

Saetana
That post will liven things up a bit ?

I doubt it. It's so absurd it's not worth replying to.

Alegrias 09.12 has put it in a nutshell.

Alegrias1 Sat 23-Oct-21 09:12:36

Do I care if they revoke our paltry trade agreement and we have to resort to WTA terms? No I do not

And that, boys and girls, is how people with no grasp of how the world works ruined our country, and don't give a fig about it.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Oct-21 08:55:17

The reason that the ECJ and EU are over-reaching is that the Commission is running scared of the treaty change they desire!.They don't want to ask the people what they think of closer integration at the ballot box. (some states require referenda for treaty change).

Constitutions don't work if they are frozen in time, they must be amended to reflect changes in circumstances. The EU is paralysed.

The Commission is trying to do things outside the limits of the treaties because they want closer integration. Unfortunately for them, they have been called out by a member state, who has had enough.