Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wild swimming? Think again

(229 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Oct-21 17:04:47

Tories are set to reject the move to stop the water companies from discharging raw sewage into our rivers.

timetogo2016 Tue 02-Nov-21 10:23:00

The swimmers will just go through the motions.
Poor wildlife though.

Josianne Mon 01-Nov-21 23:00:55

It is a tragedy after all the recent efforts to establish this beaver colony in Devon. The problem is the antiquated sewage system upstream in Honiton is unable to cope when there is too much rain water as we just had. The sewage has to be emptied into the river as otherwise it would end up in the streets and in the houses. It has been the case for ages. I live close to the River Otter where the beavers live and this is how the river burst its banks all over the fields at the weekend.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Nov-21 22:14:22

What about Weils disease? Will it increase the risk of that, too?

Kali2 Mon 01-Nov-21 21:32:00

Whitewavemark2

A wild beaver colony in Devon is threatened because of sewage spills, which contain all sorts of bacteria etc that could kill the beavers.

What about otters?

Kali2 Mon 01-Nov-21 21:31:24

How awful and tragic. Are the bodies being tested to understand what is going on. Officially, or privately by WWF or other organisations?

MayBee70 Mon 01-Nov-21 21:23:34

Whitewavemark2

Kali2

That photo is heart breaking Wwmk2 - where does it come from? Where is that beach?

There are worse photos than that, with the wildlife piled high

It is all along the north and east coast of the U.K. I’ll have a look and see if I can get the names of the beaches.

It is a disaster.

It was between Marske and Saltburn, Seaton Carew and Seaham but I’ve got a feeling it might have been somewhere else, too.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 01-Nov-21 21:07:18

A wild beaver colony in Devon is threatened because of sewage spills, which contain all sorts of bacteria etc that could kill the beavers.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:18:22

Kali2

That photo is heart breaking Wwmk2 - where does it come from? Where is that beach?

There are worse photos than that, with the wildlife piled high

It is all along the north and east coast of the U.K. I’ll have a look and see if I can get the names of the beaches.

It is a disaster.

MaizieD Wed 27-Oct-21 11:12:28

MayBee70

I’ve had a really complicated reply from my MP. The bottom line seems to be it would cost too much to do otherwise and it’s only till next September shock. So that’s alright then hmm. Can’t do much harm in 11 months can it. I need to forward the reply to someone who can understand it better than I can. So I can reply to her and give her a piece of my mind. She says she cares deeply about the environment….(must think I was born yesterday….)

I think that the reply you had was the standard script issued to tory MPs. It was published, barely altered on many MP's web pages.

I think that the bit about the amendment being put forward without a Plan to implement it (which is the reason being given for the delay, a year is needed in which to devise a Plan) is hilarious, in view of the fact that this Vote Leave government is stuffed full of people who pushed people to vote Leave, without any Plan at all as to how to implement Brexit should they win...grin

bobbydog24 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:39:58

I saw an item on the pollution of our rivers on Breakfast tv. Fergal Sharkey said this has been a problem for nearly 30 years and is illegal. I honestly did not know they did this on a regular basis. My grandchildren during the summer enjoyed swimming in the river near our caravan in Cumbria. I’m appalled that they could have been swallowing effluent and what it must be doing to wildlife beggars belief.
How Boris can preach about the environment and keep a straight face I don’t know.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:31:15

I’ve had a really complicated reply from my MP. The bottom line seems to be it would cost too much to do otherwise and it’s only till next September shock. So that’s alright then hmm. Can’t do much harm in 11 months can it. I need to forward the reply to someone who can understand it better than I can. So I can reply to her and give her a piece of my mind. She says she cares deeply about the environment….(must think I was born yesterday….)

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 09:59:28

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Oct-21 05:03:08

A couple of weeks ago there were reports of thousands of dead or starving seabirds off the north and east of the U.K.

Now we have millions of dead invertebrates including crabs and lobsters as well as fish being washed up on the same coastline.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

MaizieD Tue 26-Oct-21 22:08:22

Maremia

Could there be a U (bend) Turn?

Well, the government are in rather a predicament, aren't they?

They dare not say that the increased discharge of raw sewage is caused by Brexit.

They cannot make the water companies store it all up somewhere until the necessary treatment chemicals are available again.

And they don't have the will to force the water companies to get their fingers out PDQ to change the waste systems.

So they've fudged it... and I don't see a way out for them...

(I have thought for years that it's ridiculous for grey water and storm/rain water to be using the same pipe system as sewage...)

Maremia Tue 26-Oct-21 20:06:04

Could there be a U (bend) Turn?

Scones Tue 26-Oct-21 17:49:56

Minehead's MP is the Conservative Ian Liddell-Grainger. He didn't vote.

Dogs aren't allowed on this beach in the summer in case they shit. What irony.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Oct-21 17:38:39

Mine head beach today

Kali2 Tue 26-Oct-21 17:24:01

How apt

Ministers are wary of the huge public backlash to their stance, and there are suggestions some form of compromise solution could be offered if the Lords passes the amendment for a second time.

A total of 22 Tory MPs rebelled to support it last week, and some of them expect that figure to rise at the next Commons vote given that many more abstained. One Conservative said the government was “*shitting themselves*” about the furore.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Oct-21 16:10:18

Greenpeace

Lake Windermere is at risk of becoming "ecologically dead" because of the amount of sewage being dumped in it.

Maremia Tue 26-Oct-21 16:06:02

There is an article, with film, on BBC online just now, of a drone capturing sewage being pumped into the sea for DAYS! Filmed at Langstone Harbour in Hampshire.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Oct-21 16:03:39

Oh dear

Dinahmo Tue 26-Oct-21 16:01:31

evolvepolitics.com has produced a list of the 265 Tory MPs who voted down the amendment against the dumping of raw sewage. Many of them are up in arms because they re getting online abuse. 22 Tory MPs supported the amendment. Had we remained in the EU the govt would have had to take action against the pollution.

In 2020 water companies discharged raw sewage into the rivers more than 400,000 times and for more than 3 million hours.

Labour should really be making hay out of this.

Kali2 Tue 26-Oct-21 11:39:46

As said, won't be long until France and other EU countries begin to sue the UK for the pollution of their own waters, and all the fish and shellfish in their waters. The Channel is not very wide, for sure.

Kali2 Tue 26-Oct-21 11:38:39

Brexit is directly and clearly mentionned in the document.

Rest assured that the EU is watching in horror and the whole world too.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:47:21

Quote from the EA

“Brexit is CAUSING raw sewage to be dumped in rivers. Read this from Environment Agency:

“You may not be able to comply with your permit if you can’t get chemicals to treat the effluent because of the UK’s new relationship with the EU”