Gransnet forums

News & politics

The budget

(127 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 18:00:29

I watched the budget today.

The Chancellor seemed to keep cutting taxes mostly.

Usually a Chancellor says "Now I turn to personal taxation" and I was thinking that with all these cuts and the costs of the pandemic that there would be tax increases to pay for it all, possibly quite reasonably in the circumstance of the pandemic as the money needs to be recovered from somewhere.

But no! Suddenly he commended it to The House and sat down.

Did I miss something?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-Oct-21 12:10:40

GrannyGravy13

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t think anyone has suggested that the budget is beyond reproach growstuff, but so many people are content to grumble rather than saying ‘He could have done X, which would have helped Y’. As I said, moaning is easy but putting forward constructive suggestions less so.

PippaZ perhaps you would care to ask Gabrielle why she made such atrocious accusations of basically all ‘priviledged’ [sic] people, of whom I am probably one but guilty of any of her charges I am not, neither did my son use my contacts or ‘snort his way’ to the professional status he has attained. What she said is pretty foul.

I agree, dreadful stereotyping, reeks of envy.

I don’t understand what is the poster envious of?

PippaZ Sat 30-Oct-21 12:02:44

x posts - sorry Maizie.

PippaZ Sat 30-Oct-21 12:02:00

How would you describe but so many people are content to grumble rather than saying ‘He could have done X, which would have helped Y’. As I said, moaning is easy but putting forward constructive suggestions less so. * Germanshepherdsmum?

And how would you describe So precisely what should Sunak have done to satisfy all the whingers??

What outcome did you want from that Germanshepherdsmum? And what did you expect to get?

MaizieD Sat 30-Oct-21 11:34:01

Not demanding answers, Gsm? hmm

So precisely what should Sunak have done to satisfy all the whingers?

No,it doesn't look like that at all ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Oct-21 11:17:02

I have not demanded answers Pippa. You are the one in attack mode. Nor have I demanded that anyone tell me anything. I’m not seeking to gather information. So far only one other poster has put forward a suggestion of a specific thing which might have been done differently. I’m not in need of your nastiness Pippa, which I have experienced before, so any reply you make, which will doubtless be another attack, will be a waste of your time as it will go unread by me.

PippaZ Sat 30-Oct-21 10:51:46

You have come on here, you say, not to argued for or against the budget. Germanshepherdsmum

Why then do you think you can call people. doing exactly that, whingers and complain when others behave in the same way you have decided to do. Why should anyone expect to tell others that they should tell you what they would do in Sunaks position.

Reading and absorbing what is said is one thing. Attacking others because they don't give you the answers you demand is quite another.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Oct-21 10:40:23

I didn’t realise you expected a reply Scones, but thank you and I’m sorry if I appeared to ignore you. We agree on air flights. The brick comment was not made because I used the word ‘whingers’, but because ‘what would you have done then’ generally attracts exactly the sort of ‘privileged’ comments which, as expected, followed. People moan but rarely say ‘in his position I would have done X’.

Scones Sat 30-Oct-21 09:48:58

Calling people whingers is rude. You knew that and qualified it immediately in your post by mentioning brickbats.

I gave you a very specific answer to your question and gave the reason for my answer. You chose not to respond.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Oct-21 09:31:24

Asking for precision rather than generalisation is neither rude nor sneering. It’s no good simply saying for instance that he should have done more for the poorest. Exactly what and exactly how? And yes there has been a lot of whinging but as usual precious little in the way of constructive criticism so perhaps I can put some suggestions forward. Not freezing the income tax threshold would have made a difference to anyone fortunate enough to see an increase in their taxable income. And the champagne thing (which I don’t drink btw) was ludicrous and all the resultant cheers were cringeworthy. We all know who would benefit from that - neither the poor nor the Treasury. Whether meddling with duty on air fares will have a revenue-neutral effect I have no idea but surely increasing it across the board would have not only been seen as environmentally friendly but brought more into the coffers to help the poor. Yes a lot of people who like their foreign holidays would complain but there are far too many who can’t afford a holiday anywhere.

MaizieD Fri 29-Oct-21 23:10:24

Germanshepherdsmum

PippaZ I haven’t argued for or against the budget. I simply asked those who were complaining what they would have done instead. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

You didn't really ask what they would have done instead. And you were a trifle rude.

Your words

Is that what being privileged means, BTW? Having a bit of a sneer?

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 22:58:48

Germanshepherdsmum

PippaZ I haven’t argued for or against the budget. I simply asked those who were complaining what they would have done instead. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

Try looking at the thread I started.

Those who have criticised (not complained about) the budget are coming from different places. They won't all say the same and I really don't see the point.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Oct-21 22:42:08

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-Oct-21 21:46:31

Just as we predicted.

Mortgages are rising.

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 21:21:46

Germanshepherdsmum

Thanks fellow privileged toff growstuff! Good advice. Now I really must get the butler to open another bottle of Dom Perignon. You just can’t get the staff can you? Toodle pip!

The irony is that, in my case, I'm one of the downtrodden poor. hmm

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 21:20:32

I agree with PippaZ. Whatever one's political standpoint, that budget didn't create the foundation for a "New Age of Optimism".

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 21:19:02

Be careful! I was ticked off on another thread for referring to the public being treated as "peasants". Admittedly, my language was a bit "colourful" but I honestly feel that's how we're being treated - I have visions of tired, bowed down people following the great and good around and picking up the crumbs before doffing their caps.

PippaZ Fri 29-Oct-21 19:56:31

told the
told us the

PippaZ Fri 29-Oct-21 19:54:20

GrannyGravy13

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t think anyone has suggested that the budget is beyond reproach growstuff, but so many people are content to grumble rather than saying ‘He could have done X, which would have helped Y’. As I said, moaning is easy but putting forward constructive suggestions less so.

PippaZ perhaps you would care to ask Gabrielle why she made such atrocious accusations of basically all ‘priviledged’ [sic] people, of whom I am probably one but guilty of any of her charges I am not, neither did my son use my contacts or ‘snort his way’ to the professional status he has attained. What she said is pretty foul.

But, Granny Gravy and Germanshepherdsmum, it is obvious this anger is being voiced to veer off the conversation away from any criticism of this budget. This is yet another attempt to goad others to take a thread off-topic. We have seen it so often it really is very easy to recognise.

Where is your argument that this budget does some good? You simply don't seem to have one. On the other hand, I have yet to see an expert - even those who are supposed to be taking the right-wing Tory viewpoint - who has anything good to say for it.

How can the largest tax take in 30 years, almost entirely from the poor or not very well off - of course done by the most right-wing of Tory governments - create the "New Age of Optimism" Sunak declared. It was probably meant to seem audacious but it just treats the public as if they have no intelligence. You will not find many who agree with you except those who would agree if Sunak or Johnson told the pigs were flying overhead.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Oct-21 18:27:42

Thanks fellow privileged toff growstuff! Good advice. Now I really must get the butler to open another bottle of Dom Perignon. You just can’t get the staff can you? Toodle pip!

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 17:31:18

Germanshepherdsmum

Gabrielle once accused me of being one of the privileged toffs grin. I'm afraid I can't take her posts very seriously, so I ignore them. Perhaps you should too.

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 17:28:37

Germanshepherdsmum

I actually started a thread a couple of days ago about what could be done to achieve something more like the society I would like. I'm not going to repeat what I wrote.

MayBee70 Fri 29-Oct-21 17:01:06

Short haul flights are worse than long haul flights when it comes to CO2 emissions.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Oct-21 16:54:22

I thought that there is an increased levy on long haul flights?

Dinahmo Fri 29-Oct-21 16:51:47

Lincslass

growstuff

Germanshepherdsmum

Does that include all the Conservative back benchers who don't like the higher taxes and spending on public services (apart from the fizz drinking, flying ones)?

Sure many of us drink fizz and fly. Even Labour voters.

But just within the UK? Surely it's mainly business people who do that.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 29-Oct-21 16:37:57

Germanshepherdsmum