Gransnet forums

News & politics

Insulate Britain

(182 Posts)
MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:01:53

We are not talking about Universal Suffrage, Female Emancipation, Abolition of Slavery - how dare these people stop care workers and health professionals going about their essential business, lorry drivers delivering essential goods and joe public who might like to get back to his home this side of midnight ?????
( I liked the man who “serenaded” them with his bagpipes - only I happen to like the pipes)

bikergran Wed 17-Nov-21 20:33:48

lol lol...

MissAdventure Wed 17-Nov-21 14:24:19

I expect they thought if they all "stuck together", they'd never be sent down.

bikergran Wed 17-Nov-21 12:16:11

Wonder if their sat there because they have glued themselves to the road confused

bikergran Wed 17-Nov-21 12:14:53

uk.yahoo.com/news/insulate-britain-nine-activists-jailed-105237410.html

bikergran Wed 17-Nov-21 12:13:50

Hmm..oh dear. try again

bikergran Wed 17-Nov-21 12:13:08

Not sure If I have done the link properly, never done one before hmm

Lincslass Sun 31-Oct-21 21:37:23

Anneeba

Jennifer Eccles, Johnson's water cannon fiasco wasted £300000 tax payers' money. Added to being the sort of crowd control measure used by authoritarian non democratic countries. Also, your politics being what they are, lovely pseudonym, but do you know the politics of The Hollies, who wrote the song? Somewhat different to your own I think?

Most of Europe use water cannon,are they not democracies. France Germany Italy to name a few.

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 21:28:05

You do not need water cannon, IB have already shown that they do not like getting their feet wet. A couple of garden hoses and a water bowser should be all that is needed to disperse them.

Anneeba Sun 31-Oct-21 18:03:22

Jennifer Eccles, Johnson's water cannon fiasco wasted £300000 tax payers' money. Added to being the sort of crowd control measure used by authoritarian non democratic countries. Also, your politics being what they are, lovely pseudonym, but do you know the politics of The Hollies, who wrote the song? Somewhat different to your own I think?

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 16:41:01

And it is MayBeMaw's thread, not mine.

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 16:40:08

I don't understand how your post relates to anything I said, rafichagran

confused

rafichagran Sun 31-Oct-21 15:10:12

Harsh, but in response to Callistamoms thread I think the great majority of people would say serves them right.
I hope they would not be treated as Martyrs, except by the other idiots who caused disruption.

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 12:04:10

Rentamob.

Calistemon Sun 31-Oct-21 11:41:21

I have read, although I cannot corroborate it, that Insulate Britain was formed when ER and the leader of IB fell out because the leader of IB made antisemitic remarks. Hmmm

A rebel without a cause would have to find another one, whatever it was.

Namsnanny Sun 31-Oct-21 11:07:39

I read that as well M0nica

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 09:46:07

vegansrock I had t heard of Insulate Britain before all this but now I have , and if they were writing to their MPs absolutely no one would have heard of the issue, so I guess they think that’s a win. I am more interested in the bigger picture

For the last 30 years it has been impossible to open a newspaper or magazine or look at the news on line but somewhere there will be a link, if not direct news, about insulating your houes.

That picture of a house with arrows pointing to all the ways you should insulate your house, roof, walls, hotwater tank, double glazing, thorough draft exclusion, not to mention foil behind outside radiators, thick lined curtains, even across double glazedwindows. Here is the link to today's repeat of it. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58967580m

I cannot believe that you have lived through the last 30 years without every sense being assaulted almost daily by pictures of this annotated house, adverts, government schemes, the Green Party etc etc constantly banging on about the importance of insulating your house. It is as ubiquitous as recycling.

I have read, although I cannot corroborate it, that Insulate Britain was formed when ER and the leader of IB fell out because the leader of IB made antisemitic remarks. Hmmm

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 20:47:47

I am concerned that cavity wall insulation may not be a good thing and may cause mould and damp in properties.

The cavities are there for reason.

Dry lining of interior walls could be preferable.

No, I don't think they do have any real understanding, M0nica.

M0nica Sat 30-Oct-21 20:01:23

Can anyone tell exactly what Insulate Britain stands for?

What do they want people to do? Are they wanting everybody to improve the insulation of their houses, or are they talking about new houses, do they want specific types of houses to increase insulation in specific ways, are they looking for government aid, or what?

Do they understand the complexities of different types of insulation that should be used for different types of buildings? What about recommending to people simple and inexpensive things they can do and housekeeping measures they can use that will help then save energy.

It is all very well making demands that insulation be improved to meet certain dates, but nowhere can I find any demand any more detailed than that. If you are going to make demands like this and expect others to support you, you really need to show that you fully understand the whole extremely complex business of what insulation needs to be used in what type of property, insulation used inapropriately can leave ending up leaving houses permanently damp or with inadequate ventilation, In older properties it can cause structural timbers to get damp and rot.

There is no evidence anywhere that Insulate Britain have any practical understanding of what they are talking about. They are just shouting pointless slogans because it enables them to feel they are martyring themselves for a cause without needing to actually do anything about it.

Namsnanny Sat 30-Oct-21 19:25:34

As I understand it, the glue is toxic to the environment. Some contain formaldehyde and or cyanide.

MissAdventure Sat 30-Oct-21 19:15:55

M0nica

Veganrocks Can you name one useful, or helpful thing that has come out of these benighted demonstrations?

An increase in super glue sales?

lizzypopbottle Sat 30-Oct-21 18:55:59

nahsma I found my information by searching Google. The key words I used were:
Insulate Britain walk out gmb. I followed links from there that led to Ian Norton and Cameron Ford.
Where does soya come from?
Where do avocados come from?

JenniferEccles Sat 30-Oct-21 18:36:15

The thing is homes here are in the main, well insulated.
The need for it has been known for decades.
I remember my husband coming home with rolls of loft insulation to put in our first house back in the 70s.
Then over the years he kept adding to it as the advice about the thickness required changed.
A bit later we had double glazing fitted as well as cavity wall insulation. Now all new builds have to conform to stringent regulations regarding insulation.

M0nica Sat 30-Oct-21 18:04:13

Veganrocks Can you name one useful, or helpful thing that has come out of these benighted demonstrations?

rafichagran Sat 30-Oct-21 17:10:05

No, I do not think the language is bad here. I think the language of their leader is reprehensible, he stated he would not get out of the way for a ambulance where someone was very ill.
I would never call these people names other than selfish, inconsiderate, and lacking in judgement of what the public thinks, they are idiots. What their background is, is totally irrelevant to me.
If I was driving and they got in front of me I would stop, but I would help anyone drag them off the motorway so I can continue my journey.
They only called off sitting on the motorway because they knew people would not tolerate this much longer.
Am I bothered protesters got ink thrown at them, no I am not, it is wrong yes, but I cannot get worked up about it.
The vast majority public had no sympathathy for them and they knew this.
They have done their cause no good and put allot of people out.

vegansrock Sat 30-Oct-21 16:55:36

Do you really think sitting on a motorway is fun? I am not defending the tactics and I certainly wouldn’t do it, but have been on protests of a more traditional nature. . To be fair, I had t heard of Insulate Britain before all this but now I have , and if they were writing to their MPs absolutely no one would have heard of the issue, so I guess they think that’s a win. I am more interested in the bigger picture.