Gransnet forums

News & politics

Insulate Britain

(181 Posts)
MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:01:53

We are not talking about Universal Suffrage, Female Emancipation, Abolition of Slavery - how dare these people stop care workers and health professionals going about their essential business, lorry drivers delivering essential goods and joe public who might like to get back to his home this side of midnight ?????
( I liked the man who “serenaded” them with his bagpipes - only I happen to like the pipes)

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 18:50:51

Do you think that spraying the faces of demonstrators with ink (and it could have been anything else) is fair, or assault?

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:52:16

No

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:52:37

Oh the bagpipes might be regarded as a treat.

Smileless2012 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:35:57

It's a shame as soon as their intentions are known that they can't be arrested before they block roads and disrupt peoples lives.

lemongrove Wed 27-Oct-21 19:39:37

It was a waste of good ink ?

AGAA4 Wed 27-Oct-21 19:56:19

They have achieved nothing apart from annoying the general public who just want/need to get on with their day.
The cause is lost when they disrupt ordinary people's lives.
They are just a massive pain in the backside.

lemsip Wed 27-Oct-21 20:04:23

Kali2..........fair! they were told it was ink prior to him doing it.

Bluebellwould Wed 27-Oct-21 20:06:17

It’s amazing that the police moved on the bagpipe player but left the protesters in the road. As ex police officer I’m disgusted.

lemsip Wed 27-Oct-21 20:10:07

I think it is outrageous that a group of people can disrupt other peoples day to day business and no one is allowed to touch the disrupters or they will be arrested.......

Iam64 Wed 27-Oct-21 20:11:22

I find this group particularly irritating. Our house was insulated effectively, free during a government scheme about 20 years ago.
It could probably be updated but it’s warm efficient and economical. Why do these selfish ideologues think they can wreck lives, create chaos by doing something they find selfishly rewarding and exciting.

MissAdventure Wed 27-Oct-21 20:34:07

Particularly since a lot of them don't have their own homes insulated.

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 20:53:27

If you listen carefully on the video ( man playing bagpipes) you will hear the policeman telling the bagpipe player to move on as he is harassing the protester ?

dragonfly46 Wed 27-Oct-21 21:03:11

I agree with you maw I suspect some of them are just there to make trouble.

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 21:09:02

MerylStreep

If you listen carefully on the video ( man playing bagpipes) you will hear the policeman telling the bagpipe player to move on as he is harassing the protester ?

I see that as blatant anti-Scottish racism!
Does the Queen's personal piper harass HM when he plays the pipes for her at Balmoral or Windsor?
Harrumph! Bah, humbug!??

25Avalon Wed 27-Oct-21 21:58:07

Harassment? What’s wrong with bagpipes? so the person sat in the road stopping people going about their lawful business wasn’t harassing anybody then. It’s a ridiculous protest by a handful of people who aren’t going to make the government insulate everyone’s homes. We’ve already had grant schemes as Iam64 points out.

Kim19 Thu 28-Oct-21 07:58:12

Now that I believe(?) this has been made illegal, I'd like to see each and every one of the protestors fined whatever the maximum fine is and that fine implemented immediately. I certainly don't want them sent to jail as that costs us money. Nope, hit them in the pocket where it hurts most.

Kandinsky Thu 28-Oct-21 08:03:35

I’d leave them there glued to the motorway forever.

Lincslass Thu 28-Oct-21 08:10:43

I think the band of the Royal Scots Dragoon guards should stand and serenade these , sorry no polite words for them, people. With bagpipes only.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 08:11:37

Well I certainly wouldn’t unstick them for an overnighter at least.

25Avalon Thu 28-Oct-21 08:11:57

Kim19 they have already said they don’t care about the fines. Unless they are imprisoned they will be back. Some have been arrested several times as they keep returning after each arrest.

vegansrock Thu 28-Oct-21 08:14:43

Not sure why people think the climate emergency and the destruction of the planet is a laughing matter. It seems people are all in favour of green initiatives unless it involves changing their own behaviour, inconveniencing them or costing them more of course.

M0nica Thu 28-Oct-21 08:27:39

ER and Insulate whatever, are such Johnny-come-latelys, jumping on a band wagon, when it is already been running for years, that I find it difficult to believe that they were ever anything other than professional protestors looking for a cause.

The building regulations have been regularly increasing the levels of insulation required in new build properties for decades. We have just had a single storey extension built and it has been a real education seeing just how much insulation has been packed into it.

I absolutely agree that more can be done, but why has it taken this lot so long to realise this? Long after all the rest of us have realised that insulating our houses is a basic requirement to reduce emissions. This lot have suddenly realised it. Really?

If they were really serious about their cause they would be producing papers showing how their aims can be met in the time scale they propose. They would be working constructively with other climate change groups, campaigning so it works. How home insulation can be financed and so on and so on. They could set up groups who raise money and then insulate the houses of those who cannot afford to. When the Trussell Trust saw people with out food. They set up Food Banks, they didn't go and sit on a motorway.

As it is, they are just a rentamob, everything they do is counter productive for their cause; blocking motorways increases emissions from the vehicles held up, and what has that got to do with insulation? As soon as some other cause becomes fashionable, they will all rush off like lemmings to support rewilding motorways or saving rats or whatever the new cause de jour might be.

silverlining48 Thu 28-Oct-21 08:30:47

If they have to do this I wish they would share the cause and take it to other areas instead of returning to the same place so frequently which happens to be where I live, meaning everywhere for miles around is in constant gridlock.
Surely that can’t be good for the environment they want to protect. Certainly does. nothing for our environment.
We need to use the Dartford tunnel today and are hoping all will be quiet for a change.

rafichagran Thu 28-Oct-21 08:38:43

Agree lemon a waste if good ink. It is not right to throw ink on a protester, but they do not care about the disruption they cause other people. I cannot really care less about it.
I think people are fed up with their lives being disrupted.