Gransnet forums

News & politics

Angela Rayner changes her mind!

(78 Posts)
foxie48 Thu 28-Oct-21 21:04:50

AR put the following out with regard to the way she described Conservative Ministers at the LP conference. "I will continue to speak my mind, stand up for Labour values and hold the government to account, but in the future I will be more careful about how I do that and in the language that I choose."
I, for one, am very pleased and I hope her example is followed by others. AR is a competent politician, with good ideas, she has the ability to put them across without having to resort to the language she used and I applaud her courage and honesty in admitting that she was wrong.

MaizieD Sun 31-Oct-21 09:35:33

Gwyneth

Apologies for providing ‘false information’ MaizieD we can’t all be perfect but it was still unacceptable for an MP to say it wherever she was speaking.

I wonder if you can see the irony in your post. hmm

Iam64 Sun 31-Oct-21 08:56:38

Let’s hear is for feisty, strong, ginger, northern women

Anniebach Sat 30-Oct-21 22:05:01

growsttuff Rayner referred to Barbara Castle as a fellow ginger northerner.

Perhaps she sees herself as a reincarnation of Dame Barbara!

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 20:31:28

My sister even has her hair tinted to make it more red!

I used to tint mine auburn as did MIL when hers went grey.

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 20:29:09

growstuff

Callistemon I'm the mother, sister and granddaughter of redheads. All of them learnt to laugh at the silly comments. My sister even has her hair tinted to make it more red!

In any case, if you read what Rayner said, she was talking about herself when she mentioned "northern redhead". Whatever else I think of her, I think her hair is beautiful.

She then went on to talk about shared passions for social justice, etc.

Yes, she has got gorgeous hair.

Yes, DD has too - I think younger brothers could be irritating though!

Gwyneth Sat 30-Oct-21 20:25:29

Apologies for providing ‘false information’ MaizieD we can’t all be perfect but it was still unacceptable for an MP to say it wherever she was speaking.

growstuff Sat 30-Oct-21 19:08:55

Callistemon I'm the mother, sister and granddaughter of redheads. All of them learnt to laugh at the silly comments. My sister even has her hair tinted to make it more red!

In any case, if you read what Rayner said, she was talking about herself when she mentioned "northern redhead". Whatever else I think of her, I think her hair is beautiful.

She then went on to talk about shared passions for social justice, etc.

Scones Sat 30-Oct-21 15:59:11

Anniebach Just want to thank you so much for all your years of campaigning for the Labour party. So much hard work and effort. I'm grateful there are people like you.

Calistemon Sat 30-Oct-21 15:31:03

growstuff

Anniebach

Scones thinking and saying ? so different. Probably there are MP’s past and present who think the same, but do not say it in
public.

She was speaking of Dame Barbara Castle with admiration when she called her ‘a ginger northerner’ but to say it whilst
unveiling a statue to Barbara ?

Rayner is one seat away from Starmer, she has the support of
Corbyn, McDonald, McClusky , the Unions,. this gives the far left hope.

I have campaigned for Labour since Hugh Gaitskill was leader,
58 years ago, when campaigning one listens as well as talk.

Angela Rayner called herself a ginger northerner! Barbara Castle was well-known for her (always immaculately coiffured) red hair. They both have in common that they have red hair and are northerners - it's hardly an insult! Incidentally, if you read Rayner's speech, she also said much in praise of Castle.

Calling someone ginger is viewed as derogatory by some.

As the mother of a redhead, I think it is glorious, but some people do use ginger as an insult.

MaizieD Sat 30-Oct-21 15:18:39

Gwyneth

No MPs should receive threats but neither do I think the language used by Angela Raynor in Parliament was helpful. It only serves to make those who foster extreme politics and beliefs feel justified in taking actions that are criminal. At least she eventually apologised.

Except she didn't 'use it in parliament'. It was at semi private (i.e not on a public platform) get together at the Labour Conference.

Spreading false information doesn't help.

Gwyneth Sat 30-Oct-21 14:16:33

No MPs should receive threats but neither do I think the language used by Angela Raynor in Parliament was helpful. It only serves to make those who foster extreme politics and beliefs feel justified in taking actions that are criminal. At least she eventually apologised.

Anniebach Sat 30-Oct-21 12:12:51

I did not say it was an insult

growstuff Sat 30-Oct-21 11:56:44

Anniebach

Scones thinking and saying ? so different. Probably there are MP’s past and present who think the same, but do not say it in
public.

She was speaking of Dame Barbara Castle with admiration when she called her ‘a ginger northerner’ but to say it whilst

Angela Rayner called herself a ginger northerner! Barbara Castle was well-known for her (always immaculately coiffured) red hair. They both have in common that they have red hair and are northerners - it's hardly an insult! Incidentally, if you read Rayner's speech, she also said much in praise of Castle.

Anniebach Sat 30-Oct-21 11:27:36

Yes, whatever

GillT57 Sat 30-Oct-21 11:21:15

Ok anniebach. Whatever.

Anniebach Sat 30-Oct-21 11:05:03

GillT57. Ginger Northerner is not acceptable at the unveiling
of a statue, you think it is.

I am not taking offence , I am annoyed, so much Rayner could
have praised about Barbara, surely she deserves recognition for what she did whilst in a Labour Government not the colour of her hair.

GillT57 Sat 30-Oct-21 10:32:08

Scones, you have articulated exactly what I was trying to say. Anniebach, your years of membership of the Labour party doesn't stop your comments regarding red haired Northern women sounding a bit mealy mouthed, almost as if you are looking for something to take offence at.

Anniebach Sat 30-Oct-21 10:08:21

public.

Scones Sat 30-Oct-21 09:38:08

I really don’t understand why anyone who wants a Labour government can excuse what she said.

I want a Labour government. I can excuse what she said for two reasons. Firstly because she has apologised and if someone makes a heartfelt apology then you forgive them. Primarily though I forgive her because I have thought it myself. I have heard myself think that word 'scum' in my head many times in relation to the Conservative party.

I am not proud of thinking it and apologise for doing so, but sometimes, over the past 10 years the behaviour of our government and the impact on ordinary people has driven me to thinking that these people cannot care about others, they cannot care about decency, kindness, fairness, the environment and have thought them the lowest of the low.

Sometimes I look at MPs voting records on limiting benefits, failing to protect the environment, equality etc and wonder what kind of people they can actually be to be so careless and heartless with lives and our future.

This is my opinion, but I can well see how, given the impact on the lives of the poorest, the most unwell and vulnerable, others - not all of course, but how many gentle, kind, caring people including Angela might share my opinion.

That might make me uncouth, I probably am - but there are worse things to be.

GillT57 Fri 29-Oct-21 23:47:43

Yes that was obviously the problem growstuff. Fancy that, a working class woman speaking her mind eh? confused

MissAdventure Fri 29-Oct-21 23:42:57

smile

growstuff Fri 29-Oct-21 23:42:36

If she were a little more "refained" and educated, she could have said exactly the same thing in Ancient Greek.

MissAdventure Fri 29-Oct-21 23:38:33

I think uncouth is the real issue, here.

GillT57 Fri 29-Oct-21 23:37:15

That is a very dangerous man and I fear the sentence he received will not deter him. I honestly am baffled why so many people are getting their knickers in a twist about the use of the word scum by AR. The leader beloved by so many on here has used much worse. And is a liar. And a cheat. But hey, let's get all uptight about a woman under a great deal of stress, receiving vile threats from unstable individuals who uses a word which offends a few people. Ms Rayner has more honesty and integrity than many in the House and I find it sad, and a little pitiful, to read posts from other women sneering at her. Yes, she is blunt, possibly a bit "uncouth" if you must, but she is honest and that means more to me than the well articulated lies of Johnson

MaizieD Fri 29-Oct-21 23:03:20

Anniebach

Surely no one in public service should use gutter language in public, what people say in private is of no interest .

Sorry, Annieb, but I get the feeling that you're not very hot on forgiveness.