Gransnet forums

News & politics

Stand off drowning migrants and report – or face prosecution, sailors warned

(566 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 24-Nov-21 14:48:42

I can hardly believe what I'm reading. Sailors being told to let people drown.

The Royal Yacht Association (RYA) has warned its members against rescuing migrants at sea amid fears they could be prosecuted and jailed for people smuggling.

The RYA has advised sailors to “stand off and report” migrants rather than rescue them in face of draft laws that would prosecute them if they saved asylum seekers from drowning and brought them ashore.

It has joined with MPs in opposing the laws, which also criminalise migrant rescue missions in the Channel by Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI) crews if they bring them to shore.

uk.news.yahoo.com/leave-drowning-migrants-die-face-175734208.html

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 09:18:11

I’ve just donated more to the RNLI. They need all the help they can get.

Article about residents in Dungeness where the poor folk largely land.

The residents say that what strikes them is that those families arrive with nothing. It is devastating to see them. Frequently soaked through and utterly exhausted. The kindness of the RNLI is so uplifting, showing what so many in the U.K. have always stood for.

Iam64 Wed 01-Dec-21 09:35:57

Thanks Whitewave, I’ll donate again.
We had the EDL brought to our town in coaches to try and stir up racism as we have a large Pakistani Muslim population. They got no support.
I wonder if that’s an issue in these protests, racists shipped in?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Dec-21 09:55:39

There are far more good people in the U.K. (and the world) than those with bad intentions. It’s just unfortunate that bad/controversial deeds garner news inches/minutes.

GillT57 Wed 01-Dec-21 11:48:06

GrannyGravy13

There are far more good people in the U.K. (and the world) than those with bad intentions. It’s just unfortunate that bad/controversial deeds garner news inches/minutes.

I do hope so, and cling on to that belief because the alternative is too awful to contemplate. Maybe it is just as our grandparents always said 'empty vessels make the most noise'.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 11:52:56

The black shirts are back. This is the atmosphere being created by Patel, that “allows” this to happen in the U.K. 2021

Iam64 Wed 01-Dec-21 12:07:20

I agree white wave

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Dec-21 08:14:47

Not everyone is anti-asylum seeker. Gives me hope

RNLI
@RNLI
·
21h
Once again, we've been truly moved this week by your messages of kindness and generous donations in support of our lifesaving work in the Channel – thank you so much

Kali2 Fri 03-Dec-21 10:27:11

Don't forget to make a Donation to show your support.

varian Fri 03-Dec-21 19:36:34

It is utterly amazing that the RNLI are entirely supported by charity.

They are our fourth emergency service after police, fire and ambulance and like them they should be funded by the taxpayer.

growstuff Fri 03-Dec-21 21:56:20

varian

It is utterly amazing that the RNLI are entirely supported by charity.

They are our fourth emergency service after police, fire and ambulance and like them they should be funded by the taxpayer.

The RNLI prefers to be a charity rather than funded by the government because it means that it isn't subject to the same kind of cuts as other emergency services.

lemongrove Fri 03-Dec-21 22:06:26

GrannyGravy13

In this instance just a few people shouting things at the crew it’s alleged, not a mass protest.
Sure, they are unkind idiots to do it, but we are a population of so many millions it has to be remembered.

Calistemon Fri 03-Dec-21 23:15:41

I have friends who organise fundraisers for the RNLI even though they are both in their eighties.

We always support them and the RNLI but, unfortunately, they have not been able to hold events since Covid arrived so donations will be much needed.

Christmas cards, calendars, gifts etc are available online too.
shop.rnli.org/

growstuff Sat 04-Dec-21 04:20:09

Unfortunately, you might not be able to use the RNLI website for a while:

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/03/rnli-takes-down-its-website-after-suspected-hacking-attempt

growstuff Sat 04-Dec-21 04:20:10

Unfortunately, you might not be able to use the RNLI website for a while:

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/03/rnli-takes-down-its-website-after-suspected-hacking-attempt

Calistemon Sat 04-Dec-21 11:05:17

Expletive deleted, growstuff!!

I hope none of these hackers ever need rescuing.