Gransnet forums

News & politics

No 10 was breaking Christmas Lockdown rules last year.

(220 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 02-Dec-21 11:18:55

While most of the UK was observing the Lockdown rules last Christmas staff at No. 10 were having a great time...

When asked three times at PMQs yesterday to deny the story Johnson refused to do so. Because, it seems, even he couldn't take his habitual lying that far.

All that an official Downing Street spokesman could come up with was that 'covid rules were observed at all times... No denial. hmm

This is only the latest in the steady stream of high profile lockdown breaking stories we've heard over the past 18 months.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-broke-covid-lockdown-25585238

Some very sad stories on this thread from people who weren't able to see dying relatives because of the rules.

twitter.com/fascinatorfun/status/1466159001217941518

With the possibility that the spread of the Omicron variant may call for more stringent rules just before Christmas this year these revelations may well lead people not to observe them.

While I realise that we will never get rid of this virus how can we even begin to reduce its spread when those who are supposed to being giving a lead by showing a good example flout the rules?

I should add that I'm hmm as to why this story has only broken now.

Lucca Thu 09-Dec-21 08:59:36

It seems simple. If there was a party, not a work meeting, then rules were broken as parties had been banned.

Lincslass Thu 09-Dec-21 09:45:55

Don’t you think they haven’t looked, or shall they fabricate evidence, what evidence do you suppose is still around from this time last year, DNA, well anyone or everyone is in and out of those rooms, no one is owning up then or now, shall we put them all on a lie detector.

Lincslass Thu 09-Dec-21 09:47:31

No I am not excusing them, then or now. Was disgusted when all came to light re parties and weddings. Disgusted now that no one is owning up to save their own skins.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Dec-21 09:50:56

To avoid a further mauling at PMQs, Johnson is bring recess forward by 2 days.

love0c Thu 09-Dec-21 09:55:30

Whitewave Maybe this might be a good thing? He is running scared?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Dec-21 10:01:42

Also, the Electoral Commission has fined the Tory party over the corruption scandal over Johnson’s flat in No 10.

Not to worry, as Johnson is intent on ridding himself of the Electoral Commission.

Petera Thu 09-Dec-21 10:10:51

... and ridding himself of the courts

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-raab-human-rights-act-b1939870.html

Jane43 Thu 09-Dec-21 10:16:00

varian

I find it incomprehensible and rather depressing to listen to Tory voter's in what was Owen Peterson's constituency say they still intend to vote the same way in the byelection because none of this makes any difference to them.

What is wrong with these people?

It is a very affluent area, there’s your answer.

flump Thu 09-Dec-21 10:17:59

"Nest of Vipers" comes to mind.

MaizieD Thu 09-Dec-21 10:18:22

Well, will this lot get of the fence and do something positive to get rid of him?

A thread from @RussInCheshire (remember his 'week in tory' threads? grin )

Start
Quotes from Tory MPs today (8/12)

Cabinet minister: "Boris is like a Bond villain. In the end, he'll escape in a pod with his cat, leaving nothing but destruction behind. We're seeing that process begin now, and the party will be ruined"

Senior Brexiteer and former Cabinet minister

"I thought Boris was a once in a generation transformational leader. I thought he'd get Brexit done, and he has"

[A dubious claim, but never mind]

"But now he has to go. We'll lose. I've had enough"

Elder statesman of the party:

"Boris isn't finished yet, but he's on probation. Maybe he'll have a good Christmas and bounce back, but the real trouble is - he simply doesn't listen to advice."

Senior backbench MP and major figure in 1922 Committee:

"The wheels came off some time ago, and its hard to see how the current driver can steer us for 2 more years"

Brexiteer MP

"Today's announcement [on Covid] was meant to happen next week. It's just a dead cat, but a really clumsy and obvious one. You can see right through the timing. And it won't work, it won't stop this. It makes you wonder if anyone in Number 10 knows how bad this is"

Backbench MP from Northern constituency:

"I thought I knew what party I was in, but now I'm at Westminster it all looks very shaky. The leadership just isn't there. We need something new, and pretty quickly. I think my constituents will demand it"

Member of Johnson's team during his leadership campaign in 2019:

"Aghast. We knew he'd campaign better than he governed, but I don't think anyone expected this kind of drift. He needs a stronger team, but who with talent would want to get close to him right now?"

End

MaizieD Thu 09-Dec-21 10:20:28

Jane43

varian

I find it incomprehensible and rather depressing to listen to Tory voter's in what was Owen Peterson's constituency say they still intend to vote the same way in the byelection because none of this makes any difference to them.

So do we then equate 'affluent' with a complete absence of moral compass... (confirming what many less affluent people have long believed...) hmm

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Dec-21 10:23:48

Well what I do think is that the police tread more carefully with the wealthy and powerful.

It would also appear that they can even “square” the Met Commissioner.

growstuff Thu 09-Dec-21 10:25:49

Jane43

varian

But two bookmakers have the LibDems as favourite to win. Whatever the result, it's going to be close. Don't be too pessimistic.

Oldnproud Thu 09-Dec-21 10:54:59

Lincslass

Don’t you think they haven’t looked, or shall they fabricate evidence, what evidence do you suppose is still around from this time last year, DNA, well anyone or everyone is in and out of those rooms, no one is owning up then or now, shall we put them all on a lie detector.

They could at the very least take the simple step of speaking to everyone who was in the building at the time. There might actually be people who were there at the time - at the alleged party or not - who would willingly provide evidence if only they were asked by the Police.

Kali2 Thu 09-Dec-21 11:01:19

Refusing to investigate because they have no 'evidence' is totally out of order. That is their job, to find the evidence and the facts. They had Police on duty there that day- easy to find out who it was, and interrogate them, and anyone all staff employed at the time.

Alegrias1 Thu 09-Dec-21 11:05:45

I think there was a party. I think it was illegal.

However, if the office down the road from you had had a party last December, and you just found out about it this week, would you think it was a good use of police time to spend resources on trying to find evidence when all that existed was a few rumours about what had happened?

And I don't think we do "interrogation" of people here, no matter how ill advised their parties are.

A bit of perspective, please.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Dec-21 11:30:35

You must not separate the rule makers from the rule breakers. .

That is why they must be held to account.

Mollygo Thu 09-Dec-21 11:33:09

MaizieD I don’t equate affluence with a complete absence of moral compass. The affluent may be able to cover it up better, but murderers, rapists, thieves, etc don’t have to be rich to have a complete absence of moral compass.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Dec-21 11:42:59

Even now people are being fined £10,000 for parties they held 12 months ago so they must be feeling pretty aggrieved at what has happened. Especially as a lot of them are probably young and were suffering from the silliness that comes with youth (been there got the t shirt). We’re discussing the very people that are running this country: the people who we trust our finances and lives with. But hey, how about we stop having trials and just ask criminals to judge themselves if they feel they’ve done wrong and, if not, walk free. Because that’s what the governments internal inquiry is tantamount to. Oh and they’ve just been fined over the flat refurbishment. Remember that one. I’ve never known a government (and one member in particular) make so many accidental mistakes. It’s corrupt from the top down. I never really understood the term ‘draining the swamp’ before, but I sure as hell do now.

Dinahmo Thu 09-Dec-21 12:21:31

GrannyGravy13

On the news this morning (sorry cannot recall if it was BBC or GMB, TVs in different rooms on different channels) they said that the Metropolitan Police are now going to investigate the party .

If it was found to be illegal (and I assume it will be) I do hope that the appropriate heads will roll. I am not sure if Mr.Johnson can survive this, surely the backbenchers should grow a backbone and voice their opinion’s ?

They announced this morning that they weren't going to investigate - lack of evidence.

Dinahmo Thu 09-Dec-21 12:24:42

Oldnproud

Alegrias1

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/met-police-to-probe-leaked-footage-of-downing-street-aides-joking-about-christmas-party/ar-AARzxGS?ocid=uxbndlbing

They're looking at it now.

Call me sceptical but I doubt if there is anything in that recording that actually proves a party definitely took place. Jokes can be just that, jokes, and on their own prove nothing.

It would certainly be the starting point for further investigation if a more serious crime (assault, murder etc) was alleged, an investigation that involved identifying and questioning all those who were at the party/ non-party, but I have a feeling that the police will decide - or be persuaded, if you know what I mean - that this isn't serious enough to merit that level of investigation.

I hope I'm wrong though.

If there was no party, why were they practising their responses to possible questions?

Calistemon Thu 09-Dec-21 12:32:38

If there was no party, why were they practising their responses to possible questions?
I've been trying to work that one out, Dinahmo
Party, what party?

Even if there was no party and this was all one bit joke, it was in extremely poor taste being in mind the situation and the deaths at that time.

Calistemon Thu 09-Dec-21 12:32:53

big joke

AGAA4 Thu 09-Dec-21 13:06:06

They are politicians and adept at lying. Unless someone blows the whistle on them there will be no evidence as they will stick to saying they were having meetings.
Blaming the police for not investigating is just diluting the blame from those who were guilty of breaking rules.
They were not called out at the time as they were to other parties so only have what they have been told to go on.
The damage to the Tories has, however, been done as who would ever trust them again.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Dec-21 13:13:30

I’m still waiting for a reply from my MP where I asked her to categorically state that there was no party….If I don’t get a yes or no answer I shall continue to ask her in a Paxman like way…