Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hogmanay Party at Sturgeon's ???

(115 Posts)
Maudi Fri 24-Dec-21 08:41:26

Hogmanay party at Sturgeon's house!': Man, 33, is arrested after 2,000 people sign up on Facebook to attend New Year's Eve bash at First Minister's home - amid backlash over her new Covid curbs (Daily Mail today) ?

Peasblossom Fri 24-Dec-21 09:50:26

Forget the Politics.

Posting someone’s home address with an open invitation to go there for a party?

Wrong, wrong, wrong and needs to have severe consequences.

JaneJudge Fri 24-Dec-21 09:53:29

I'm glad he was arrested.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Dec-21 09:53:59

I know friends who live in Wales and call him ‘Dripford’ and say he’s a good council leader, at best. Not everyone is a fan. Ditto for Boris.

MaizieD Fri 24-Dec-21 10:12:24

JaneJudge

But, as with JK Rowling, the FMs private address is now out in the public domain and a target for all the regrettably large number of twisted and unpleasant people out there.

No amount of arrests of individuals is going to stop them, is it?

Maudi Fri 24-Dec-21 10:20:48

I've been to Scotland many times and the Edinburgh Festival I know all about Hogmanay celebrations. You are shooting the messenger, me, I never said I agreed or disagreed with the newpaper articles just that they gave me a giggle, no obviously not good to publish a personal address but it was nipped in the bud it was never going to happen just a silly stunt, but like some on here can't stand Boris well I can't stand Sturgeon and would love someone or something to wipe her smarmy smile off her face (and before some poster with a humour bypass says I'm inciting violence obviously I mean only in a non violent way).

Yes and Drakeford another pumped up tin pot dictator hope someone or something wipes the smile off his face, although as he never smiles that will be difficult ?

JaneJudge Fri 24-Dec-21 10:27:33

MaizieD

JaneJudge

But, as with JK Rowling, the FMs private address is now out in the public domain and a target for all the regrettably large number of twisted and unpleasant people out there.

No amount of arrests of individuals is going to stop them, is it?

No, they need to be punished properly. I know there had been talk of it following the murder of David Amess but I must say I've not read anything since

Cold Fri 24-Dec-21 10:29:24

Maudi

I've been to Scotland many times and the Edinburgh Festival I know all about Hogmanay celebrations. You are shooting the messenger, me, I never said I agreed or disagreed with the newpaper articles just that they gave me a giggle, no obviously not good to publish a personal address but it was nipped in the bud it was never going to happen just a silly stunt, but like some on here can't stand Boris well I can't stand Sturgeon and would love someone or something to wipe her smarmy smile off her face (and before some poster with a humour bypass says I'm inciting violence obviously I mean only in a non violent way).

Yes and Drakeford another pumped up tin pot dictator hope someone or something wipes the smile off his face, although as he never smiles that will be difficult ?

But now her personal, private home address is out there on the internet for every abusive person to turn up and intimidate her, send her hate mail and scare her family

It is a very dangerous time to be in politics with the murders of Jo Cox and David Amess in their home towns added to the multiple death threats that female politicians receive. When you set up these sorts of "pranks" you never know what type of violent or disturbed people you are giving private information to and what risks you are taking for harm to come to them and their children

It really is not funny at all but is a form of intimidation and bullying

Alegrias1 Fri 24-Dec-21 11:01:03

I've been to Scotland many times and the Edinburgh Festival I know all about Hogmanay celebrations.

Have you Maudi? That's nice.

So you know about Edinburgh in August and the money-making scheme that is Edinburgh's Hogmanay. That's not knowing all about Hogmanay celebrations. I'll tell you, there's more worried about the football being off than a party for incomers and drouths being cancelled. I've written some of that in the vernacular but seeing as you know all about Scotland you'll have no bother knowing what I meant. Its a shame you can't stand Sturgeon or Drakeford. I'm sure that keeps them up at night.

This thread's not gone the way you expected, has it?

Casdon Fri 24-Dec-21 11:27:13

Surely releasing anybody’s address into the public domain is wrong on all counts. I hope they throw the book at this idiot and really make an example of him, a long prison sentence is what he needs.

Maudi this is not an excuse for a political joke. It’s exactly the same as somebody printing the address of a single vulnerable adult online and inviting predators to go round and rob them of their life savings and home. It’s unforgivable.

Maudi Fri 24-Dec-21 11:34:37

Don't be so daft why would I think Sturgeon and Drakeford would be worried about little old me in England I would think they might have other things on their minds, but perhaps they might worry about some of their voters being upset about their planned celebrations being cancelled.

No I thought this thread would be light hearted and frivolous but judging by some of the posters who have posted they are obviously not very jolly at the moment unlike me. ?

LadyGracie Fri 24-Dec-21 11:47:01

We call him Dippy Drakeford, he’s been taken to task by the National Statistic office for giving out incorrect figures.
He shouldn’t be where he is, he’s totally incompetent and destroying peoples livelihoods.

Chestnut Fri 24-Dec-21 12:30:22

Alegrias1 back again making nasty remarks to posters. We can't get away from them. It's like the Thread Police in action. I quote what you said elsewhere I've been off GN for a few days and now I remember why. Too many argumentative people with an odd view of the world.
To which I said 'pot, kettle, black springs to mind'.

JaneJudge Fri 24-Dec-21 12:36:34

Well I don't find it funny and I like Alegrias as well, not that it's a popularity contest

Galaxy Fri 24-Dec-21 12:38:06

I dont find it funny and I like Janejudge as well. I think I am now involved in a game I dont understand grin

Alegrias1 Fri 24-Dec-21 12:41:52

Bit off topic, so apologies in advance.

I find it a bit port, kettle, black that some posters find it a useful exercise to pursue other posters across different threads and copy their posts from the other threads in order to make nasty little unfounded digs about them. A suspicious person would think they are being targeted. ? I guess we'll see who else comes along.

In the meantime, I won't be giggling about any politician's address being put on the internet and I won't be calling anybody childish names.

Back to the topic.

FarNorth Fri 24-Dec-21 12:48:49

The title did sound as if this might be frivolous Maudi but it turned out that the thread is about a criminal act that could still cause harm because of the FM's private address becoming widely known.
I don't understand why you continue to giggle about it.

Calistemon Fri 24-Dec-21 12:50:56

grannyrebel7

I don't agree with anyone having a go at Mark Drakeford - we're expecting Omicron to hit in January in Wales and he's just ahead of the game by introducing restrictions now. He's very sensible and has taken all the right decisions throughout the pandemic. Unlike the dithering Boris.

I agree.

So you know about Edinburgh in August and the money-making scheme that is Edinburgh's Hogmanay.

I hadn't heard of it until DD and (Welsh) friends went to Edinburgh in summer a few years ago - they enjoyed it!
My dear Scottish friend loathed Hogmanay!

If it was a joke it backfired, using the official address might just have been a bit amusing but very reckless with Omicron around.

Calistemon Fri 24-Dec-21 12:54:01

No I thought this thread would be light hearted and frivolous but judging by some of the posters who have posted they are obviously not very jolly at the moment unlike me.

Not feeling very jolly at the moment, Maudi, not having seen half my family for over 2 years.
I will try to be jolly and pull a cracker tomorrow. tchsmile

Elegran Fri 24-Dec-21 12:55:08

"obviously not good to publish a personal address but it was nipped in the bud " No, it wasn't nipped in the bud. Ten times nore people will have seen that address than registered for the non-existent "party" and they won't have forgotten. Her neighbours know it already, but she can hardly go in and out for the messages, school run etc incognito. Now fanatics all over the UK know exactly where she lives, and can look on Google Maps to find the layout of the street and plan whatever fanatics plan for political targets. That could be pepper spray, an armed ambush, a kidnap, if you can imagine it, someone somewhere has already thought it a good idea.

If you worked in some job where you could make enemies, would you like your address plastered all over Facebook with a suggestion that those reading it should meet up there at midnight with a few bevvies in them? No, it is not a giggle.

bevvies = drinks
messages = shopping

grannydarkhair Fri 24-Dec-21 12:59:17

I’m in Scotland, am neither a fan of the SNP nor NS, but think this man should be severely punished. As previous posters have said, it’s a dangerous time to be in politics.
Aveline the three who “protested” outside JKR’s house removed themselves from Twitter after first trying to portray themselves as the victims in the scenario. I don’t know if JKR has taken legal action against them.

Blossoming Fri 24-Dec-21 13:00:51

Dear me Alegrias1 have you been telling the truth and correcting misinformation again?

Alegrias1 Fri 24-Dec-21 13:08:15

Tell the truth and shame the devil Blossoming wink

wildswan16 Fri 24-Dec-21 13:14:00

If we want honest, hardworking, respectable people to enter our Councils, governments etc - then we need to stop endangering (or just disrupting) their family's life. Maybe the lack of such people in today's politics is a direct result of such attacks. Who would want to put their husband/wife/children through such things as are now being suggested.

Some people may think it funny to post such childish messages on social media - but it isn't. Anybody who finds this amusing must have a very warped sense of humour.

paddyann54 Fri 24-Dec-21 13:17:41

J K Rowlings address is well known ,its even pointed out on Bus tours.The FM s address is her private home on an ordinary Street in Glasgow.2000 drunken unionists turning up to intimidate her would not be funny Maudi

Parsley3 Fri 24-Dec-21 13:19:40

No backlash from me or anyone I know. The cancellation of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay celebrations is a sensible precaution. The eejit deserves to be arrested for being an eejit.
And Maudi if you don’t live in Scotland or Wales why bother yourself with intense feelings of dislike for the First Ministers? Life is too short.