Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hogmanay Party at Sturgeon's ???

(115 Posts)
Maudi Fri 24-Dec-21 08:41:26

Hogmanay party at Sturgeon's house!': Man, 33, is arrested after 2,000 people sign up on Facebook to attend New Year's Eve bash at First Minister's home - amid backlash over her new Covid curbs (Daily Mail today) ?

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 20:05:48

Give me your address then and I can post 'All round for a wee dram at UG's gaff' then.

“GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS” ??
That’s exactly the bit that was wrong. Don’t you get it?

Funny if you’d said ‘all round to Urmstongran’s gaff for a wee dram’.

And nothing else. That bit was the joke.
I give up.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 20:02:56

Oh Petera I said right at the beginning of the thread I thought this was stupid. It was funny enough. But putting NS address out there was irresponsible and wrong.

Goodness there are some very cross posters on GN these days.
I’m not coming back to this one. It’s turning toxic and will get worse the nearer we get to 31 December I bet.

I mean - Just look at those Celtic football fans today riled up against the SNP’s decisions. Only a third of Scots vote for Sturgeon. I think the SNP popularity tide is turning. Time will tell.

Petera Sun 26-Dec-21 19:40:56

Urmstongran

“All round for a wee dram at Nicola’s gaff” would have been funny. Or not, as the case may be. A sense of humour is such an individual thing Isn’t it?
?

Give me your address then and I can post 'All round for a wee dram at UG's gaff' then.

Oh how we'll laugh because of course a sense of humour is such an individual thing; Isn’t it?

Elegran Sun 26-Dec-21 17:35:03

It stops being a joke when someone's safety is endangered.

FarNorth Sun 26-Dec-21 15:43:08

I don't think the intention was just to have a joke.
I think the man genuinely hoped to get a rowdy crowd at the FM's actual home.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 15:31:03

I really do wish people wouldn’t report posts. Let them stand and we can read and judge for ourselves. And for any awful ones it does illustrate their mindsets.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 15:27:24

“All round for a wee dram at Nicola’s gaff” would have been funny. Or not, as the case may be. A sense of humour is such an individual thing Isn’t it?
?

Petera Sun 26-Dec-21 15:19:20

Urmstongran

Stupid man for posting NS address on line. Took a funny joke too far. Her sister Gillian noticed it and alerted Police Scotland. It would have gotten a laugh - because it WAS funny to pretend she was having a Hogmanay party round at hers - but what the man did was dangerous in this febrile climate. There are genuinely a great many very annoyed Scots at these imposed restrictions over the festive season - they certainly didn’t all vote for NS!

"Took a funny joke too far."

Exactly how far would it have been appropriate to take this 'joke'?

FarNorth Sun 26-Dec-21 15:10:20

Obviously we posters South of the border have a different sense of humour

Only a few of you, luckily.

MaizieD Sun 26-Dec-21 15:04:11

And accused me of living in Scotland to boot.?

Ooooooh, was that the ultimate insult, Peasblossom wink grin

Galaxy Sun 26-Dec-21 14:09:53

Ooh sock puppets. You dont get many of them round these parts.

Maudi Sun 26-Dec-21 13:58:38

11:28Yammy

Your post gave me a giggle Yammy ?

Obviously we posters South of the border have a different sense of humour ?

4allweknow Sun 26-Dec-21 13:26:07

Apart from those who use Hogmanay as an excuse to get drunk there will be a lot of Edinburgh residents glad the street debacle had been cancelled. Nothing but problems with roads blocked off making access to their homes akward,noise building up over 24 hours. It's mainly a tourist event.

Peasblossom Sun 26-Dec-21 13:02:17

And it wasn’t me that reported Maudis post that got deleted.

In spite of the fact that she called me an idiot?

And accused me of living in Scotland to boot.
?

Marydoll Sun 26-Dec-21 12:42:28

Alegrias1

I haven't reported them and I hope nobody else does. Let folk see them, make their own judgements.

Xenophobia, encouraging similar responses from other posters. But it'll be the fault of the Scots and the Republicans, no doubt.

I too thought of reporting, but want the posts to remain, for others to see sentiments, which are both offensive and uncalled for.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Dec-21 12:40:55

I’m not encouraged.

Alegrias1 Sun 26-Dec-21 12:35:14

I haven't reported them and I hope nobody else does. Let folk see them, make their own judgements.

Xenophobia, encouraging similar responses from other posters. But it'll be the fault of the Scots and the Republicans, no doubt.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Dec-21 12:31:15

I don't understand why Yammy's posts aren't being deleted, it's not just this thread either.

Marydoll Sun 26-Dec-21 12:25:28

Yammy, what a thoroughly unpleasant post. Neither in the spirit of Christmas, nor of Gransnet
Elegran, you are correct, it works both ways.

Elegran Sun 26-Dec-21 12:17:21

Yammy The English got their turn - they travelled into rural Scotland in droves on "staycations" bringing their viruses and litter with them to previously free places when they could no longer go abroad but Scotland was still open. Maybe Nicola Sturgeon has it right when she clamps down before Boris instead of after him - it discourages the (non)-health tourists from treating Scotland as a Freeport for infection.

Alegrias1 Sun 26-Dec-21 11:31:07

Have we done something to upset you today Yammy? Those of us beyond the wall?

Because you're getting damn close to being reported.

Yammy Sun 26-Dec-21 11:28:16

Maudi

Of course there wasn't going to be an official party, seems some have had a humour bypass on here today ? or are we not allowed to smile or have a little giggle about the sainted Sturgeon.

Seems to me Sturgeon and Drakeford in their haste to beat Boris with lockdown measures (they always have to get in first) will have eggnog on their faces and face a backlash especially Sturgeon for cancelling the most celebrated event in Scotland Hogmanay. We'll its given me a giggle today but I do live in England ?

I live in England as well and they need not all bother coming across the boarder and getting blethered in Carlisle and getting us put into extra special measures as they have in the past. Covid restrictions are bad enough without the pubs having to be "State Controlled", as they were when they all piled over from Gretna, Dumfries and Annan on a Sunday as their pubs were shut.
Covid restrictions are bad enough. Though they did us a good turn so I believe, State Control Bitter was the best beer for miles.grin

Aveline Fri 24-Dec-21 21:02:10

Scotland democratically voted against independence. Thank God.

paddyann54 Fri 24-Dec-21 19:50:12

Maudi The Independence movement is lead from the grass roots ...by the people who vote for the SNP ...not by the party itself.Now if you dont think its our democratic right to gain Independence then perhaps imagine how you /England would feel if they were stopped from making decisions about their own country by their next door neighbours many who know nothing about you and care even less ...all the while financially controlling you with your own money ,Independence is NORMAL .

FarNorth Fri 24-Dec-21 14:56:27

Oh, if you're going to go to a big New Year bash Maudi maybe I'll give your party a body-swerve after all.

Maybe some others can make it, tho.
Street Party at Maudi's folks!
? ?? ?