Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hogmanay Party at Sturgeon's ???

(115 Posts)
Maudi Fri 24-Dec-21 08:41:26

Hogmanay party at Sturgeon's house!': Man, 33, is arrested after 2,000 people sign up on Facebook to attend New Year's Eve bash at First Minister's home - amid backlash over her new Covid curbs (Daily Mail today) ?

Lucca Tue 28-Dec-21 12:31:19

Well I disagree with Maudi strongly and how would I be an SNP diehard ? I’m not even Scottish !

FarNorth Tue 28-Dec-21 12:03:42

I have already stated up thread it was wrong to publish a private address.
So why come back with a ridiculous accusation about what others might think was funny?
Put down the spade, indeed.

Blossoming Tue 28-Dec-21 10:06:36

Maudi When you’re in a hole stop digging.

Maudi Tue 28-Dec-21 10:04:58

I have already stated up thread it was wrong to publish a private address.

Anyway Happy New Year, hope 2022 will be better than 2021 in many ways and everyone remains healthy and enjoy happy times with their loved ones ???

Galaxy Tue 28-Dec-21 09:43:41

Maudi your understanding of the motivation of many on this thread is painfully inaccurate. I dont think you grasp the issues at all.

Marydoll Tue 28-Dec-21 09:31:48

Maudi

I'm sure if the party invite had been for Dominic Cummings, Nigel Farage or a Brexiteer some posting on here would have thought it was so funny, but because it was about Sturgeon the SNP diehards couldn't take it, well ain't that the truth ?

Well I'm Scottish and certainly not an SNP diehard.
To whomever a joke like that is directed, it is certainly not funny, in fact it is quite dangerous.

Grannynannywanny Tue 28-Dec-21 09:09:28

Maudi

I'm sure if the party invite had been for Dominic Cummings, Nigel Farage or a Brexiteer some posting on here would have thought it was so funny, but because it was about Sturgeon the SNP diehards couldn't take it, well ain't that the truth

Are you seriously still saying you think that publishing a politician’s private home address online was just a jolly jape? There are now 5 pages of posters who disagree with you and I think I can safely say we are not all “SNP diehards” as you describe.

Maudi Tue 28-Dec-21 08:26:45

I'm sure if the party invite had been for Dominic Cummings, Nigel Farage or a Brexiteer some posting on here would have thought it was so funny, but because it was about Sturgeon the SNP diehards couldn't take it, well ain't that the truth ?

Ro60 Mon 27-Dec-21 23:09:03

Happy Birthday Alegrias1 - I've just discovered. ? Hope you had / are having a great day.

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 21:31:30

It's ok Galaxy ?

I do think a flippant remark could have been funny, but this was stalking and intimidation.

Aveline Mon 27-Dec-21 21:30:54

If her official residence -Bute house- was suggested as a venue that might have been slightly more acceptable but not her private address.

Galaxy Mon 27-Dec-21 21:13:50

Sorry I am going on a bit Callistemon grin. The thread hit a nerve but I am drinking wine now wine

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 21:10:53

Yes, I get it absolutely, Galaxy

As I said, a jokey comment is one thing but this person was not making a joke and it had sinister intentions.

Galaxy Mon 27-Dec-21 21:00:48

With respect Calistemon I dont think you get it. This person was never going to do this joke without the address. It's a really common form of intimidation on the internet particularly aimed towards women. Its textbook stuff. Boring if it wasnt so dangerous.

Calistemon Mon 27-Dec-21 20:52:21

Petera

Urmstongran

“All round for a wee dram at Nicola’s gaff” would have been funny. Or not, as the case may be. A sense of humour is such an individual thing Isn’t it?
?

Give me your address then and I can post 'All round for a wee dram at UG's gaff' then.

Oh how we'll laugh because of course a sense of humour is such an individual thing; Isn’t it?

You don't get it do you, Petera.

I agree, Urmstongran (you know I don't often but no hard feelings! ?)
It could have been funny but it was malicious because of the publishing of the FM's address which was unforgiveable.

Galaxy Mon 27-Dec-21 20:50:49

It's pretty similar to 'just a bit of bamter' not exactly original is it.

Blossoming Mon 27-Dec-21 20:48:49

I haven’t had a ‘sense of humour bypass’ which is probably why I find this comment revolting. It speaks volumes about the poster.

I can't stand Sturgeon and would love someone or something to wipe her smarmy smile off her face

Blossoming Mon 27-Dec-21 20:40:05

I think this thread would have been better not started.

Galaxy Mon 27-Dec-21 00:18:43

Yes the whole 'two posters' thing makes the situation worse.

FarNorth Mon 27-Dec-21 00:09:24

It wouldn't, would it?
Anyway, it clearly isn't.

Grayling Sun 26-Dec-21 21:33:13

Totally agree Elegran. A few threads seem to be going down this road. It was suggested earlier to be the work of "two posters" but that didn't help ease the situation.

Elegran Sun 26-Dec-21 21:28:33

Yes. Irrelevant. Giving the home address of any person who is in a public role and may have enemies, whatever their politics or job description, is likely to lead to danger for them or their family. How on earth did the discussion veer off to throwing insults around and quoting predictions of the results of an election that isn't even on the horizon?

Wheniwasyourage Sun 26-Dec-21 21:11:29

Urmstongran

“All round for a wee dram at Nicola’s gaff” would have been funny. Or not, as the case may be. A sense of humour is such an individual thing Isn’t it?
?

It is so rare for me to agree with Urmstongran that I just have to put in my tuppenceworth. The bit that makes this whole thing totally un-joke-like is the giving of NS's address. Without the address, I agree that it is just a joke, although rather a poor one IMO.

There is no point in any of us getting into a discussion here about who votes/voted for the SNP or independence and who doesn't/didn't.

lemongrove Sun 26-Dec-21 20:25:16

Urmstongran

Oh Petera I said right at the beginning of the thread I thought this was stupid. It was funny enough. But putting NS address out there was irresponsible and wrong.

Goodness there are some very cross posters on GN these days.
I’m not coming back to this one. It’s turning toxic and will get worse the nearer we get to 31 December I bet.

I mean - Just look at those Celtic football fans today riled up against the SNP’s decisions. Only a third of Scots vote for Sturgeon. I think the SNP popularity tide is turning. Time will tell.

They didn’t want independence last time and won’t next time either.
Fortunately not all voters ( including SNP voters) want to leave the Union.

As you say, it would have been amusing if they had left out the address, but to do that was possibly dangerous given all the hatred directed at politicians these days.

Alegrias1 Sun 26-Dec-21 20:07:53

Dream on, lass. Just making up numbers doesn't serve the cause.

The results indicate the SNP would win 56 out of 59 Scottish seats in a Westminster election, with 48 per cent of the vote.

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/scottish-conservatives-face-general-election-wipeout-in-wake-of-christmas-party-scandal-poll-shows/ar-AAS9naa?ocid=BingNewsSearch