Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the Nation accept an apology? Will you?

(439 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 12:59:55

I won't, for sure.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 22:16:45

I’m afraid I think they think it’s just old people that are dying. I don’t really want to get into an argument with them. At least they’re seeing that Johnson is a liar. I despaired of ever seeing the day when people realised that, no matter how glaringly obvious it was.

MaizieD Tue 18-Jan-22 22:00:25

MayBee70

What’s interesting is that some young people I speak to are also annoyed with Johnson but they don’t, unlike me, think that he didn’t control the pandemic enough, they think that if he was partying all the time the measures the government took were unnecessary and were just a means of controlling us. Because, if covid was so dangerous, why were they all mixing socially.

I've seen that suggested on here, too, Maybee.

Do they think that the thousands of excess deaths are insignificant, too?

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:27:18

What’s interesting is that some young people I speak to are also annoyed with Johnson but they don’t, unlike me, think that he didn’t control the pandemic enough, they think that if he was partying all the time the measures the government took were unnecessary and were just a means of controlling us. Because, if covid was so dangerous, why were they all mixing socially.

Keffie12 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:26:23

Oh and just to add in, people say Keir is dull. Si flipping what. Well I want my country back Keir is dull however decent and that is what we need back.

I have had enough of populist buffoon policies by liars and charlatans. It never was funny and it gets less so by the day

Never in any lifetime have we had a government who are lead by a compulsive liar, charlatan, serial cheat, abuser and is only about Boris with his pied pipes idiots following

Just go Boris and take the rest of your lieing corrupt government with you.

George Orewell 1984 is the epitome of prophecy come true

Maggie is turning in her grave

Keffie12 Tue 18-Jan-22 20:19:24

No! This government and Johnson have bought this country to it knees. I could go on for pages. I won't. I'll sum it up with this link by J.O.B who sums it up perfectly

youtu.be/YzwufOxle0E

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 17:55:36

It’s probably already been mentioned but let’s not forget that a beautiful young woman died because she willingly went with a murderous policeman because she was told she was breaking lockdown rules. That’s how strict the government were being at the time with people that didn’t follow those rules.

EngTech Tue 18-Jan-22 17:39:25

I would call a GE and get KS in

He would have to come up with some policies very quickly though 👍👍👍

varian Tue 18-Jan-22 16:29:49

Perhaps there was a time when the BBC staff were mostly left wing but I don't think that has been the case for many years. Most BBC political staff such as Andrew Neil (very influential until last year), Laura Kuennsberg, Nick Robinson, are right wing.

The worst political bias is the unquestioning acceptance of the undemocratic First Past The Post voting system and their tendency to refer to a Tory landslide when most voters voted against the Tories. They have never given fair coverage to the LibDems. Even after the recent spectacular byelection, there was no LibDem invited onto Any Questions that week.

The BBC actively promoted Farage by inviting him on Question Time no less than 29 times in the run-up to the EU referendum and so contributed to the disaster of brexit.

I do think that BBC staff tend to be socially liberal, supporting diversity at least as far as sexual orientation and ethnicity is concerned and this leads conservatives to talk about "political correctness gone mad" and "wokeness" and accuse them of being "lefties" which is encouraged by the right wing press.

Casdon Tue 18-Jan-22 15:22:33

I agree MayBee70, there are reasons why the leaks are not being given to the BBC first. Their hands are tied.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 15:18:10

We watch Sky News most of the time. I find them more balanced than BBC which rarely seems to show anything anti government. Or, if it does so is way behind other channels.

Casdon Tue 18-Jan-22 15:15:29

But Sky and ITV News are more scathing of what’s been happening than the BBC are, which says something as they are both more independent than the BBC.

M0nica Tue 18-Jan-22 15:08:12

DD used to work for the BBC some years ago. Her opinion of the organisation and its bias is unprintable.

She said no one working there would dare admit to any religious beliefs and politically most employees were well to the left of centre and no one would dare admit they supported the Conservatives, either.

varian Tue 18-Jan-22 09:28:36

The Marsh family are waiting for Sue Gray's Inquiry

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qYJo9zzqeE

Allsorts Mon 17-Jan-22 12:14:46

I wouldn’t look on facebook or twitter, for unbiased views. In fact I am not on them. I tried facebook, but all those friends showing every thing they do, plates of food, where they were going for coffee or holiday. Why! As for Johnson his cards well and truly marked. If we have to look in depth at most people in the public eye, I doubt you you find many without something to hide. To lose the highest position in the UK has to be the craziest reason ever, most people spend their lives avoiding them.

Calistemon Mon 17-Jan-22 11:51:01

Perhaps the BBC has got it right!

Iam64 Mon 17-Jan-22 11:49:35

Calistemon, the polarised views of the bbc ‘bias’ are one of life’s perpetual mysteries

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 23:30:21

He can silence the BBC, but people will find other ways to say what they have to say

Really?

People who lean to the right think the BBC is biased to the left and the converse is true for those on the left!

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 21:32:22

He can silence the BBC, but people will find other ways to say what they have to say. Like this

www.facebook.com/radiofreezeitgeist/.

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 18:01:12

I don't think the 'people' will let him get past stage 5 this time!
Maybe not even the Tories.

M0nica Sun 16-Jan-22 17:55:49

All the rumours of Boris clearing out staff at No 10, sacking half the cabinet reminds me of the summary of the 6 stages of a project, or it could be describing this governement. We currently have reached stage 4, or possibly still at stage 3.

1. Enthusiasm,
2. Disillusionment,
3. Panic,
4. Search for the guilty,
5. Punishment of the innocent, and
6. Praise and honor for the nonparticipants.

varian Sun 16-Jan-22 17:32:23

Is this the bus that the underlings in number ten will be thrown under?

Casdon Sun 16-Jan-22 15:25:50

That’s not the same equation though Pammiel. Biden was appointed as the result of an election, and from a different party, whereas Johnson will be replaced as leader from within his own party.

Pammie1 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:05:51

Whitewavemark2

One thing that I would be happy to show the world is that we had more sense than USA and removed our narcissistic pound shop Trump pdq as soon as we saw how useless and divisive he is.

Yes but look at what they replaced Trump with !!

MayBee70 Sun 16-Jan-22 14:56:16

It doesn’t matter what carnage he creates to either gain power or keep it. I just hope that people can now see beyond his carefully cultivated cuddly funny Boris image. He is totally ruthless. He has no political ideology other than letting him and everybody else do whatever they like regardless of how that affects other people.

Kali2 Sun 16-Jan-22 14:46:01

Apparently, he is planning on mass sackings around him to deflect from him. Will it wash with you?