Gransnet forums

News & politics

What will it take for the U.K. to stand tall again?

(50 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Jan-22 11:24:22

I feel so sad that our country has got to the state it is.

How can we stop it?

MayBee70 Sat 15-Jan-22 11:58:23

MaizieD

Baggs

When do those who think the UK cannot currently "stand tall" think it last did?

Definitely the 2012 Olympics.

That was my first thought. I wish I could relive those two weeks again. Even the weather was perfect. But it reminded me of something that I’d forgotten, something that should have set off a few alarm bells about the way the Conservatives regard the NHS.Danny Boyle said that the government hadn’t wanted the NHS to be included in the opening ceremony. Now, why would that be?

Shinamae Fri 14-Jan-22 20:35:25

Joelsnan

Too much parochial thought.
Just about every country is having social and political issues just the same as UK. There are those who want to blame everything on Brexit whilst ignoring empty shelves and rising prices globally. There is a rise of the constantly outraged and the warriors who only have the most basic understanding of their issue. There is the decline of reasoned debate where different opinions lead to ‘so called’ cancellations.
I used to live abroad and would watch BBC world service or Sky and was actually very nervous of returning home because if the impression I had gained from these news outlets. I was amazed to find the country little different to the place I left and my fears unjustified.
I find that news outlets create news to suit their own agendas rather than accurately report it nowadays.

??????????

Zoejory Fri 14-Jan-22 20:33:38

Oh how good to see you back, Joelsnan.

Excellent comment.

Baggs Fri 14-Jan-22 19:09:01

Alegrias1

Baggs

Alegrias1

Baggs

Thanks for the replies, A and C.

You're welcome.

What do you think Baggs?

I think that the behaviour of some of our politicians and civil servants does not really reflect onto the rest of us. We've had bad ones before and recovered. We will recover again.

And, most importantly, we will recover because of democracy's great strength: we get to kick the shameful politicians out of office at the next election. When that will be, i.e. whether it will be before we previously expected it to be, is possibly beyond our control but possibly not if a lot of writing to Tory MPs takes place.

Thanks for answering my question Baggs.

Do you think we will vote out the shameful politicians?

(I realise that this has turned into an interview - please don't answer if you don't feel like it!)

I'm not really into political predictions speculation, alegrias. Time will tell.

MerylStreep Fri 14-Jan-22 17:59:55

Calistemon

One think the British are excellent at and probably are at No. 1 spot is moaning.

Nail on the head there, Calistemon ?

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 17:18:21

One think the British are excellent at and probably are at No. 1 spot is moaning.

Calistemon Fri 14-Jan-22 17:14:37

Dinahmo

mayisay we have always had immigration to this country. We
are a mixture and IMO that is a good thing. How long ago was it that Chicken Korma was first voted the nation's favourite dish?

I think it was Chicken Tikka Masala and was invented in Glasgow!
It was Robin Cook who said it was Britain's favourite dish.

Deedaa Fri 14-Jan-22 16:51:54

MaizieD I think the Olympics was the most recent high point. I remember meeting some of the volunteers having a day out in Windsor shortly before the opening and they were so full of good humour and optimism. I went down to Stonehenge a few days later and met an athlete from Micronesia who was taking a day off and I got such a feeling of being part of the whole world and he was really impressed by what he'd found here. Can't imagine it happening now.

Josieann Fri 14-Jan-22 16:43:19

MaizieD

Baggs

Yes, definitely because we showcased our strengths and values in so many different areas.

Josieann Fri 14-Jan-22 16:41:52

Joelsnan I agree. Currently there is too much belittling of our country and it is impossible for it to stand tall.
I do admit that Britain looks pretty disorganised at the moment with no clear direction. We are clearly in a chaotic mess and what appears to be missing is a simple streamline approach. I would like governments to slow down a bit and be more genuine and down to earth in areas such as regeneration of communities for example. I don't think they should necessarily always strive to be the top dog. Standing tall is all about proving ourselves and demonstrating qualities which improve our daily lives. I do agree that this will not happen until we come up with politicians of the right mindset.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 16:25:30

Baggs

Alegrias1

Baggs

You're welcome.

What do you think Baggs?

I think that the behaviour of some of our politicians and civil servants does not really reflect onto the rest of us. We've had bad ones before and recovered. We will recover again.

And, most importantly, we will recover because of democracy's great strength: we get to kick the shameful politicians out of office at the next election. When that will be, i.e. whether it will be before we previously expected it to be, is possibly beyond our control but possibly not if a lot of writing to Tory MPs takes place.

Thanks for answering my question Baggs.

Do you think we will vote out the shameful politicians?

(I realise that this has turned into an interview - please don't answer if you don't feel like it!)

lemongrove Fri 14-Jan-22 16:17:49

Joelsnan
Excellent post.

Joelsnan Fri 14-Jan-22 16:15:09

Too much parochial thought.
Just about every country is having social and political issues just the same as UK. There are those who want to blame everything on Brexit whilst ignoring empty shelves and rising prices globally. There is a rise of the constantly outraged and the warriors who only have the most basic understanding of their issue. There is the decline of reasoned debate where different opinions lead to ‘so called’ cancellations.
I used to live abroad and would watch BBC world service or Sky and was actually very nervous of returning home because if the impression I had gained from these news outlets. I was amazed to find the country little different to the place I left and my fears unjustified.
I find that news outlets create news to suit their own agendas rather than accurately report it nowadays.

MaizieD Fri 14-Jan-22 16:06:23

Baggs

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 16:05:56

Nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there...

There were significant changes to the top 10 nation brands in 2021.
The UK dropped 3 rankings in the top 10 to a record low of 5th place, despite a +1.93 points increase; all other countries in the top ten saw a bigger increase in score so the UK’s competitive position worsened.

www.visitbritain.org/sites/default/files/vb-corporate/how_the_world_views_the_uk_2021.pdf

lemongrove Fri 14-Jan-22 15:58:50

Well said Baggs good post????

lemongrove Fri 14-Jan-22 15:57:52

Kamiso

In the early seventies I worked with a miserable grumpy old man who kept insisting the country had gone to the dogs! He brought a pregnant young colleague to tears with his insistence that it was a terrible world to bring a child into.

Good job many of us didn’t feel the same way as we would have no children or grandchildren to enjoy or lives to really live.

Life is what you make it. You can choose to wallow in gloom and misery or make an effort to think of the positives in your life and just get on with it.

I remember a relative saying the same thing in the 60’s!?
It’s rose coloured specs to imagine there was some wonderful time where all was perfection ( in any country.)
Even those top politicians who were granted great respect often had skeletons in their closets.
The good thing about the UK is that there are few places to hide these days as regards things coming out in the press.
France, for instance has draconian privacy laws and their citizens never find out much about their leaders and any sleaze ( until they are arrested!)
We are still respected in the world and so many people still want to come and live here.

Baggs Fri 14-Jan-22 15:24:27

Alegrias1

Baggs

You're welcome.

What do you think Baggs?

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 14:17:03

Doodle

Stand tall compared to what? If you mean other countries, who do you think we should aim to be like?

I don't think we should compare ourselves to anywhere or try to be like anywhere. We should live up to our own standards.

But I don't think we get to "mark our own homework"; we have to be able to hold our heads up in the international community and I don't think we are able to do that right now.

mayisay Fri 14-Jan-22 14:16:17

I am well aware that we have always had immigration in this country, which I agree is a good thing. Mass immigration is not so good!

Doodle Fri 14-Jan-22 14:14:10

Sorry, missed the fact that Baggs has phrased my question more elegantly and clearly that I.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-Jan-22 14:13:31

Baggs

You're welcome.

What do you think Baggs?

janeainsworth Fri 14-Jan-22 14:12:58

It starts with politicians of integrity

I agree whitewave and am hoping that Johnson’s premiership and the associated ethos in the Downing St machine might prove a tipping point.
I’ve never been proud of being British, seeing no justification for pride in something that was an accident of birth.
But now I feel ashamed.
I’ve always thought the monarchy was a good thing.
But I’ve just discovered it’s never too late to become a Republican. (Not to be confused with the American sort. Obviously.)

Doodle Fri 14-Jan-22 14:12:48

Stand tall compared to what? If you mean other countries, who do you think we should aim to be like?

Dinahmo Fri 14-Jan-22 14:09:10

Baggs Probably when Cameron resigned.

When will the UK be kicked out of the G7 and the G20? Since the G20 is about money I don't suppose that matters too much but the G7 - the group of the most powerful nations in the world. Can the UK really claim still to be one?