Gransnet forums

News & politics

Part of me wants him to cling on……

(240 Posts)
Esspee Sat 15-Jan-22 08:26:40

……so that the Conservatives are wiped out in the next election.

Your thoughts?

Chestnut Sat 15-Jan-22 19:01:47

HolySox

varian

"What loss of trade?-I have one son who works all the time with Europe. He was worried this would go. It hasn’t. In fact their workload has increased. The same with my husband who takes European Research. No problem at all." posts a brexit supporter.

One notable characteristic of brexit supporters has always been a tendency to quote anecdotal evidence rather than serious analyses.

The appalling damage which has been done to UK export trade because of brexit is starkly set out in these charts from the OBR.

obr.uk/box/the-initial-impact-of-brexit-on-uk-trade-with-the-eu/

Noone is surprised by these graphs. We've only just left. Of course they did state it is difficult to determine how much the figures are skewed because of the pandemic. Also lot of UK/EU trade has suffered due to border changes. This may yet recover.
As I've said before such a drop is expected and it has not been the calamity remainders feared. I have confidence Britain will still prosper in years to come as we adapt to our new position in the world. Certainly worth not selling out our nationality to the EU - whoever they may be.

?? It's a marathon not a sprint.

Chestnut Sat 15-Jan-22 19:05:44

Alegrias1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, and Ignorance is Strength.

I vote(d) Conservative but I don't vote Conservative.

^Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.^

And yet another uncalled for sarcastic remark! You can see why so many Grans don't like posting when it's such a toxic environment.

varian Sat 15-Jan-22 19:10:09

"It's a marathon, not a sprint"

According to Jacob Rees Mogg, who I think actually supported brexit, it will be fifty years before it gives us any positive effect.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 19:29:11

And yet another uncalled for sarcastic remark! You can see why so many Grans don't like posting when it's such a toxic environment.

Is this today's agreed theme - make people think there are lots of nervous grans hiding away because they're intimidated by the big bad lefty remainers who scare them off? I mean, its not like we accuse them of something they've not done, with no proof. That would be nasty, wouldn't it?

Kandinsky Sat 15-Jan-22 19:31:48

Well I personally think a few remainers do come across as very intimidating.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 19:34:48

Grrr!

Kandinsky Sat 15-Jan-22 19:34:57

The words you use Alegrias1 -‘accuse them’ like they’ve committed a crime hmm
I think you need to look at your posts & see how they come across.

Kandinsky Sat 15-Jan-22 19:35:56

Also, you’re seriously not funny so please stop trying.

Purplepixie Sat 15-Jan-22 19:38:41

I hate to think who they will put in the place of Boris. I cannot stand the bloke but the runners up are just as bad. All of the political parties have had parties! None are better than the other.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 19:39:23

I'm more than happy with my posts Kandinsky.

And yes, accuse is a good word sometimes. When it fits. When somebody accuses someone else of doing something without any grounds. Accuse. Good word. I could have added falsely, but I didn't.

You don't find me funny? Oh well, never mind. Another career avenue closes.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 19:40:51

Purplepixie

I hate to think who they will put in the place of Boris. I cannot stand the bloke but the runners up are just as bad. All of the political parties have had parties! None are better than the other.

Where's the evidence of the other parties that all the political parties have had, please Purplepixie? The ones that broke the rules?

HolySox Sat 15-Jan-22 19:54:21

Alegrias1

^And yet another uncalled for sarcastic remark! You can see why so many Grans don't like posting when it's such a toxic environment.^

Is this today's agreed theme - make people think there are lots of nervous grans hiding away because they're intimidated by the big bad lefty remainers who scare them off? I mean, its not like we accuse them of something they've not done, with no proof. That would be nasty, wouldn't it?

I have been pm'ed by some who agree with my points but are too afraid to post an acknowledgement openly. There is a very aggressive element on the News/Politics thread. Usually using 'belittling' comments rather than offer a structured discussion. I have often had my posts ridiculed by the anti-B posse. (B being Brexit or Boris). They even have the audacity of calling me the bully on one thread.
But then there's the old advice 'don't talk about politics or religion!'

Casdon Sat 15-Jan-22 20:04:21

Sorry Holysox but saying you have received private messages supporting you cuts no mustard. This is a public forum, and posters should be prepared to say what they think publicly, have the courage of their own convictions and equally be prepared to take the brickbats if others don’t agree with them. If they don’t post, to be frank they don’t count because they have no voice.

The forum is not aggressive, if somebody says something you don’t like you have the right of reply. There isn’t one voice coming from people with different views to you, everybody else has a different perspective both to you and to each other.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 20:05:48

Its a discussion board Holysox. We discuss things. That means if somebody makes a post that is based on nothing but misplaced belief with no justification, somebody somewhere is going to tell them that their post is maybe, just a wee bit, wrong. And when I offer structured discussion I often get the accusation that I'm a swot who spends all day googling. hmm

I started a thread some time back to discuss the difference between fact and opinion, and oh, did I get some abuse for it. But there is a difference, and those who tell us that this is my opinion, while they are perfectly entitled to it, can expect to be questioned if the opinion is based on shaky ground.

This is News and Politics, not Gransnet Cafe. Not Religion/Spirituality. So I'm sorry, I don't have much truck with the idea that there are many poor downtrodden Tory-voting Brexiters who are scared to post. That's not generally been my experience of Tory voting Brexiters.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 20:06:42

X-post Casdon

HolySox Sat 15-Jan-22 20:41:51

Thank for your replies Alegrias and Casdon. You just confirmed everything I just said.
Goodnight

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 20:53:05

I feel I am in good company.

Casdon Sat 15-Jan-22 21:42:11

Thanks Alegrias1, me too.
Holysox people have disagreed with you. That’s not the same as belittling you at all.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 21:43:12

Casdon

Sorry Holysox but saying you have received private messages supporting you cuts no mustard. This is a public forum, and posters should be prepared to say what they think publicly, have the courage of their own convictions and equally be prepared to take the brickbats if others don’t agree with them. If they don’t post, to be frank they don’t count because they have no voice.

The forum is not aggressive, if somebody says something you don’t like you have the right of reply. There isn’t one voice coming from people with different views to you, everybody else has a different perspective both to you and to each other.

Casdon you are always very reasonable and, as far as I have seen, argue a point fairly, don't belittle other posters or get angry with them.

Not everyone does that.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 21:55:13

Oh. I'm crushed.

Marmite32 Sat 15-Jan-22 22:06:37

Having been involved in many threads like this - if you're losing attack the player, not the topic.

growstuff Sat 15-Jan-22 22:20:31

Calistemon

Casdon

Casdon you are always very reasonable and, as far as I have seen, argue a point fairly, don't belittle other posters or get angry with them.

Not everyone does that.

Casdon made a fair point.

Lucca Sat 15-Jan-22 22:58:46

HolySox

Thank for your replies Alegrias and Casdon. You just confirmed everything I just said.
Goodnight

???

As I have said before …grown women afraid to post ?
There have been many unpleasant sneery comments about loonie lefties and remoaners so I do. To buy the poor old conservative supporters are getting bullied. Absolute twaddle.
And PMing to say ooh I do agree with you but I’m too shy and timid to write it down is just unbelievable.
Goodnight

Lucca Sat 15-Jan-22 22:59:50

Kandinsky

Also, you’re seriously not funny so please stop trying.

Oh I don’t know..she has her moments!

MayBee70 Sun 16-Jan-22 01:12:44

Johnson and Nadine are out to get the BBC now….