Gransnet forums

News & politics

Part of me wants him to cling on……

(239 Posts)
Esspee Sat 15-Jan-22 08:26:40

……so that the Conservatives are wiped out in the next election.

Your thoughts?

Urmstongran Sat 15-Jan-22 08:32:19

I’m not fussed either way. He got Brexit done ✅

Riverwalk Sat 15-Jan-22 08:34:36

He's the gift that keeps on giving! grin

The Tory Party is ruthless when it comes to their leaders - it's only a matter of time before stalking horse, men in suits, 1922 committee, are again part of everyday conversation.

LilacChaser Sat 15-Jan-22 08:34:44

I'm terrified that if Boris goes, there somebody who is even more namby-pamby about restrictions will become PM.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:34:55

I think that is the calculation that many are making, for different reasons of course.

Oh and Brexit isn’t done, not by a long way.

LilacChaser Sat 15-Jan-22 08:35:18

Sorry, 'that', not 'there'.

Bossyrossy Sat 15-Jan-22 08:35:43

And we are still waiting for you and the other Brexit supporters to list the benefits of leaving the EU.

Kim19 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:38:10

Unfortunately, I don't think the Cs will be knocked out in the next election. Perhaps severely dented but they'll introduce some sweeteners strategically before voting takes place and some people will 'forget'. My other sadness is that what's on offer to replace them is also totally unacceptable. A desperate wilderness indeed for me at the moment.

Galaxy Sat 15-Jan-22 08:49:48

I dont think we can think like that to be honest. I want a labour government so in some ways the best way to achieve that is for Johnson to stay. However in terms of the country we should not have someone such as him in charge. It's too risky.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:51:41

I am sure that given Johnson predilection to constantly lie, there is absolutely no need for him to isolate this week.

His plan is to keep out of sight and questions until Gray has produced her report exonerating him and then he’ll cut restrictions as a sweetener telling us what a marvellous job he has made of everything.

Iam64 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:53:28

I’m not sure the tories will be wiped out at the next election though I believe they’re more likely to loose with Johnson in charge.
The Conservatives are ruthless when leaders no longer appeal to the ERG - they’ll ditch him when they identify a less toxic brand.
I’d be happy to see the Labour Party in government,with Starmer as leader

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 08:57:08

It's tempting; it would just be so irritating to have him still there poncing around as though he were someone of importance.
As it is, we know that he is a complete cipher and in control of nothing, so his going will make little difference to the hard line repressive policies that are being nodded through parliament.

Riverwalk Sat 15-Jan-22 08:58:51

When Starmer had to isolate for about the sixth time there wasn't slightest suggestion from any one that he's not telling the truth - it's just accepted as fact.

Compare that to Johnson going AWOL - almost everyone is assuming that he's lying low to avoid questions and interviews.

Kandinsky Sat 15-Jan-22 08:59:14

Couldn’t care less either. I’m with Urmstongran - he got brexit done.

notgran Sat 15-Jan-22 08:59:51

I can't stand the chap but seriously, what/who is the better alternative?

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 09:03:15

I am sure that given Johnson predilection to constantly lie, there is absolutely no need for him to isolate this week.

There is absolutely no need for him to be isolating even if the family member with covid story is true. It is not required in the guidelines. He should be in work and doing a daily LFT.

What a truly despicable apology for a human being he is...

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:05:26

notgran

I can't stand the chap but seriously, what/who is the better alternative?

This is not an argument, although it seems popular with quite a scary number of GNers. Is he really the best we've got?

Like I said somehere else, I'd rather have Larry the Cat. He probably also understands too that Brexit isn't done.

Susan56 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:06:10

I agree notgran.

Also agree with Maizie, why is he isolating?‍♀️

notgran Sat 15-Jan-22 09:08:05

I'm not here for an argument Alegrias1. You think the cat is a better alternative, fair enough. I thought my post would be treated with a bit more consideration.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:15:31

Oh stop it.

Anyone who says we should stick with this guy because there is nobody better doesn't have a good argument. There are 300-and-something people on the Tory side of the house and any number of them would be a better PM. Tobias Ellwood, Theresa May, 100 others I've never heard of. Sticking with the worst PM we have ever had just because you think there is nobody better isn't a valid option.

Curlywhirly Sat 15-Jan-22 09:17:10

Riverwalk

When Starmer had to isolate for about the sixth time there wasn't slightest suggestion from any one that he's not telling the truth - it's just accepted as fact.

Compare that to Johnson going AWOL - almost everyone is assuming that he's lying low to avoid questions and interviews.

That could be because Starmer has not been found out to be a compulsive liar, whereas Boris .......

Mollygo Sat 15-Jan-22 09:20:20

Riverwalk, evidently Starmer was out for drinks with friends during lockdown as well and using the same excuse as BJ.
Two wrongs don’t make a right but I suspect there’ll be more revelations like this about all politicians to come.
Politicians and truth ?

growstuff Sat 15-Jan-22 09:24:39

Mollygo

Riverwalk, evidently Starmer was out for drinks with friends during lockdown as well and using the same excuse as BJ.
Two wrongs don’t make a right but I suspect there’ll be more revelations like this about all politicians to come.
Politicians and truth ?

Do you have a link to this "evidence"? I've seen a very fuzzy photo taken through a window, which seems to suggest Starmer was drinking something, which could have been water for all I know.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-Jan-22 09:31:11

He was not out for drinks with friends. He was drinking a bottle of beer whilst working.

No DJs , no suitcases of wine, no broken swings in gardens. No email invitations to BYOB. No lying. No breaking rules.

Politicians and truth ? Grans and Fake News?

MaizieD Sat 15-Jan-22 09:32:52

Mollygo

Politicians and truth ?

The story has been dredged up from nearly 2 years ago. Starmer was canvassing in the NE (i.e working) and visited not one, but two, breweries shock in the course of the canvass... where he had a polite beer.

When you have unassailable proof that his staff held byob parties at the drop of a hat and regular Friday night drinking sessions do come back to us with it.