Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cummings statement in the Rose Garden…

(176 Posts)
Esspee Tue 18-Jan-22 14:21:31

…was totally unbelievable. Why then do I believe every word of his blog regarding all the no.10 parties and non parties?

Anybody else convinced of the veracity of his most recent public utterance?

I don’t know how to do links but I’m sure someone will be along in a moment to assist. TIA

growstuff Wed 19-Jan-22 15:23:37

LuckyFour

I dislike all this talk about liars. How can you all be so smug that you think you know when someone is lying or telling the truth. Some say Johnson is a liar, some say Cummings, some say both, some think everyone are liars. How smug! I prefer to believe people are trying to do their best and I don't know who could have got us through this pandemic better than Johnson and those working with him. No, he's not perfect - are you!

I prefer to believe that protective unicorns and angels are hovering over us sprinkling fairy dust.

Shinamae Wed 19-Jan-22 15:44:05

And I understand these more than I understand what is coming out of number 10. But then I have never been a political animal

Keffie12 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:02:11

I think this stream by James O'Brien sums it up.

Also Cummings has people who are backing him up who are independent from him

youtu.be/YzwufOxle0E

Emerald888 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:30:24

Why do you believe Cummings! God only knows. Embittered. Unemployable. Had to drive to a castle to test his eye sight! Maybe you should test yours after watching the Labour MPs wall to wall ranting on the biased BBC.
Secret Santa's and Off Licence runs. Who cares.

Tanjamaltija Wed 19-Jan-22 16:46:11

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8355671/I-believe-behaved-reasonably-legally-Dominic-Cummingss-Rose-Garden-statement-full.html

Oh, well...

GillT57 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:52:00

It's natural to believe stories that suit your agenda .It certainly is, as was illustrated by all of those who believed every word that Cummings and Johnson said, pre Brexit vote, however ludicrous some of it was.

I agree with those of you (Dickens, WWMk2) who are pointing out that this is the tip of a very nasty iceberg, sent out by some very nasty people. Smiling, smart Sunak is heading a softly softly campaign, and this country wont know what has hit it when his austerity campaign hits. People still believe that covid19 'has to be paid for', and they generally prefer it to be paid by the undeserving 'benefit scroungers', bogus asylum seekers and other groups as they are instructed by the right wing press.

But, back to the OP, Cummings is a liar, but a liar with a mission, a mission that we should all be very frightened about. It is obvious that the farce in the Rose Garden was orchestrated to demonstrate to his real paymasters that Cummings had a hold over Johnson. Be afraid, be very afraid. You will not be allowed to demonstrate your displeasure, and for some groups of the electorate, will not even be able to show your displeasure or support through the ballot box, but that, as has been discussed on GN before, really doesn't bother anyone. I could weep. Oh, and anyone who thinks the BBC is left biased in its reporting isn't watching the same BBC as I am.

Nicaveron Wed 19-Jan-22 16:55:57

Well I may be in the great minority but I support Boris. I actually think he’s carried the country through this Pandemic extremely well - particularly in respect of the vaccination programme. Everyone seems to forget that he was an early sufferer of the Virus and unwell enough to be hospitalised, and if my memory serves me right, he was in ICU. He came back and very quickly got back into the driving seat so to speak. Surely he must have found this a considerable strain.
In respect of the accusations of “LIES” unless these can be categorically substantiated as correct and he DID lie - then it surely is a case of defamation of character. Pity he can’t take his accusers to a court of law for liable.
On another point I also feel very sad at HRH Prince Andrew’s situation. I cannot believe that the little madam accusing him of sexual abuse was not a willing partner - if in fact the event did take place. I do not understand why this case is even being entertained: as I understand it the event in question took place (if it did take place) in the UK in Epstein’s London apartment. Surely as this young madam was 17 years of age when the alleged event took place then she was legally able to engage in sexual activities. The legal age in UK is 16. Surely when in the UK then UK Law applies. A very nasty business all round but I can only feel sad for Prince Andrew - all of the Royal family have led such sheltered lives that they really are not for want of a better phrase -“Street wise.” And the people the Prince was rubbing shoulders with were obviously in a different league! Very sad situation for the Queen and indeed all the Royal family.

GillT57 Wed 19-Jan-22 17:15:52

Hmm. Defamation and 'little madam' in one post. Very good

Zuki Wed 19-Jan-22 17:48:48

The Prince Andrew thing.Totally not in the same argument as Piers Starmers constant bleating That was young women being abused and manipulated and they should have their voices heard On the other hand a prime minister under unbelievable pressure with the pandemic and not able to work effectively without mixing most prob had some drinks with people he worked with so what

Dickens Wed 19-Jan-22 17:54:46

Nicaveron

Well I may be in the great minority but I support Boris. I actually think he’s carried the country through this Pandemic extremely well - particularly in respect of the vaccination programme. Everyone seems to forget that he was an early sufferer of the Virus and unwell enough to be hospitalised, and if my memory serves me right, he was in ICU. He came back and very quickly got back into the driving seat so to speak. Surely he must have found this a considerable strain.
In respect of the accusations of “LIES” unless these can be categorically substantiated as correct and he DID lie - then it surely is a case of defamation of character. Pity he can’t take his accusers to a court of law for liable.
On another point I also feel very sad at HRH Prince Andrew’s situation. I cannot believe that the little madam accusing him of sexual abuse was not a willing partner - if in fact the event did take place. I do not understand why this case is even being entertained: as I understand it the event in question took place (if it did take place) in the UK in Epstein’s London apartment. Surely as this young madam was 17 years of age when the alleged event took place then she was legally able to engage in sexual activities. The legal age in UK is 16. Surely when in the UK then UK Law applies. A very nasty business all round but I can only feel sad for Prince Andrew - all of the Royal family have led such sheltered lives that they really are not for want of a better phrase -“Street wise.” And the people the Prince was rubbing shoulders with were obviously in a different league! Very sad situation for the Queen and indeed all the Royal family.

"Little madam" Oh goodness!

If the 'event' did take place, and she was indeed of age, it still doesn't excuse him in my book.

How does it strike anybody that a father of two young daughters might be willing to avail themselves of the services of a young woman groomed, manipulated, used and passed around as a plaything for rich men? If he is indeed guilty (and I don't know any more than anyone else if he is or not), I would find this abhorrent, especially in a member of the RF to whom we are supposed to show deference.

It isn't just a question of the legality or otherwise, it's a question of morality and integrity. At the very least, his friendship with Epstein whose reputation was widely known, is questionable.

Lucca Wed 19-Jan-22 17:55:53

Good heavens who is Piers Starmers ?

Casdon Wed 19-Jan-22 18:00:41

This thread is getting scary now, we’ve moved on from ostriches into David Icke territory. Saddle up your unicorns immediately growstuff!

Caro57 Wed 19-Jan-22 18:05:49

Had just been thinking he had gone very quiet in his vendetta- nasty little piece of slime

Galaxy Wed 19-Jan-22 18:11:33

Yes it is a vendetta, is that a surprise, who did Johnson think Cummings was when he employed him? I mean it's all such a shock isnt it, who could have predicted Johnsons premiership would end like this, I mean years of his previous behaviour provides no clues.

stewaris Wed 19-Jan-22 18:31:21

#Lincslass I agree with you re Dominic Cummings. I think he's got a cheek because he's already been proven a liar but also because he used the them and us to ignore the rules. You have to ask yourself if a member of the public had explained to the police they went on a 30 mile round trip to test there eyes I'm sure they would have turned a blind eye - not! What a hypocrite and I'm no fan of Boris. He should go.

Dickens Wed 19-Jan-22 19:28:12

... oh what a tangled web we weave... when government ministers choose a maverick as an advisor!

David Cameron called Cummings a "career psychopath" - Cummings accused "bumbling" Cameron of "not being up to the job" and said that Ed Llewellyn, former Downing Street Chief of Staff under Cameron was a “classic third-rate suck-up-kick-down sycophant”... a comment Michael Gove, then Education Secretary 'distanced' himself from as Cummings had been his advisor at the time.

Then there was the 'call' by Cummings for "weirdos and misfits with odd skills" to apply for jobs within No. 10. A lucky junior applicant would be chosen to be his personal assistant, he added.

Which resulted in one, Andrew Sabisky, being employed as a Downing Street contractor - a young man who believed in forced contraception for teenagers and mind-altering drugs, as performance-enhancers for children, which would probably be worth “a dead kid once a year”. He also preached that "black people are less intelligent than whites." He ultimately resigned amid the fury of Tory MPs over Boris Johnson's decision to stand by him.

And yet the electorate was more exercised by Diane Abbott, whilst under their nose this 'strategist' was wreaking havoc on the country!

... and now he's back, with a vengeance - literally. But, the Tory party owe him a debt of gratitude - he was the chief architect of Vote Leave's victory - and thus the Tory party's huge majority... even tho' he now admits the campaign won by lying.

..."we didn’t think that we were definitely right and Remainers are all idiots or traitors or anything else. We never thought like that and still don’t and I don’t now. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say ‘Brexit was a mistake and history will prove that."

That's yer Dominic Cummings. The Tories should have left well alone.

Happygirl79 Wed 19-Jan-22 20:22:15

Both Cummings and Johnson are liars and poor liars at that
Nothing to choose between them

effalump Thu 20-Jan-22 18:30:55

I find it quite scary that people keep evidence of 'all the dirt' on colleagues, friends or even spouses so that they can either blackmail them or take them to the cleaners whe things fall apart.

FarNorth Thu 20-Jan-22 23:35:55

If the evidence is in emails it is likely to be easily available with a quick search, even if it wasn't kept deliberately & with forethought.

Callistemon21 Thu 20-Jan-22 23:46:21

Dickens interesting post.

The most frightening thing about Cummings is that he was generally invisible but wielded all the power and continues to do so.

These shadowy SPADS (or Kingmakers) have existed for centuries, shadowy characters, manipulative, powerful and shaping our destinies.

MaizieD Fri 21-Jan-22 01:41:02

If you can bear it, Calistemon, have a look at this 'essay' about Cummings.

He's a talented weirdo. Very effective at organising a campaign and ignoring 'the rules' because he doesn't seem to have any time for, or perhaps concept of, the human interelations that make up 'society'. Or the culture and history that have shaped them. Organic growth of a society doesn't interest him. It's something to be destroyed and rebuilt from scratch because it doesn't please him.
At least, that's how I read it.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/06/inside-the-mind-of-dominic-cummings-brexit-boris-johnson-conservatives

vegansrock Fri 21-Jan-22 03:43:12

One of my neighbours was in the same 6th form as Cummings and said he was a total weirdo with no friends. Who’d have thought it? And didn’t he spend a long time in Russia doing some mysterious job?

MayBee70 Fri 21-Jan-22 03:53:38

He did. But no one ever seems to question that.

usuallyright Fri 21-Jan-22 09:58:27

Well Cummins would say that wouldn't he.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:00:35

MaizieD
I glanced but couldn't face reading it last night and the sun is shining this morning so I don't want to ruin it with a black cloud - but I will!