News & politics

PMQs

(155 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:06:57

Oh joy?.

Starmer on top form

Nightsky2 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:03:03

MerylStreep

Funny old world isn’t it ( on here) when David Davis is now a poster boy of honesty when when he was negotiating with the eu he was portrayed as the devil incarnate. ?

Arrogance beyond belief, let him resign and stand under a different flag.

BIL met him at a business meeting in the HOC years ago and described him as being thick.

Devorgilla Wed 19-Jan-22 15:27:40

Keir Starmer was right 'to suck the marrow' out of 'Big Dog's bone with his questions. It's the hot topic at the moment.
David Davis made my day. Ranks alongside the Portillo moment.
I gather someone on their way out commented, 'What a dick.' Now, was that directed at David Davis, Christian Wakeford or 'Big Dog' himself?
We await the report.
On another matter, what did BJ have for breakfast? It certainly perked him up for today's appearance, after his 'hangdog' and 'sackcloth and ashes' appearance yesterday.

GillT57 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:21:41

On another matter, what did BJ have for breakfast? It certainly perked him up for today's appearance, after his 'hangdog' and 'sackcloth and ashes' appearance yesterday. I suspect a sneak preview of the Grey report over his weetabix has perked him up. Other cereals are available

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:22:32

MayBee70

Kali2

David Davis 'for the love of God, man, GO'

and Ian Blackford 'operation save Big Dog has turned into a big dog's dinner'

I missed it. I was awake half of the night, couldn’t wait for PMQT and then lost concentration just before Davis spoke. I’ve just seen it on the news but it wasn’t the same as seeing it live!

Here it is

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60056482

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:25:29

MerylStreep

Funny old world isn’t it ( on here) when David Davis is now a poster boy of honesty when when he was negotiating with the eu he was portrayed as the devil incarnate. ?

He was never portrayed as the devil incarnate- but as a very very poor negotiator. Much much better than Liz Truss or Frost, actually- at least he realised that the 'cake and eat it' Deal, could just not be done, just like May did.

LauraNorderr Wed 19-Jan-22 16:40:28

David Davis former leadership contender, former eu negotiator. former cabinet minister. Axe to grind perhaps? Future leadership ambition?
Todays display a non event.

Lincslass Wed 19-Jan-22 16:40:51

Dinahmo

No comments on the Tory MP crossing over to Labour? Seeing some earlier clips he didn't sound as though he would leave the Tories any time soon so he must have been very rattled by the comments of his constituents.

Yes, and let’s not forget if he stayed with the Tory Party he may well have lost his seat in May elections. Self preservation maybe?

Zoejory Wed 19-Jan-22 16:49:46

That Tory who left to go to Labour. Her sounds rather awful. Using the C word. I had to clutch my pearls.

Interesting how some think Keir has performed well. I am always reminded of the brilliant Denis Healey's quote, like being savaged by a dead sheep when Keir starts with his monotonous voice. . I just don't think Starmer has got it. Not sure what it is but he hasn't got it.

I would much rather see Andy Burnham at the helm.

Maybe when he stops being mayor.

Working in the CS,chatting to colleagues, there's rarely a good word to be heard about Starmer.

Petera Wed 19-Jan-22 16:58:53

Parsley3

The overuse of the Wait for the Sue Gray report mantra fills me with misgivings. My cynical self suspects that it is already known that it will contain no criticism of the PM. Time will tell.

It'll be interesting - there was terrific interview with her on NI news last night. She must be the only senior civil servant who's taken a career break to run a bar in Newry with her husband, who happens to be a Country and Western singer.

Juicywords Wed 19-Jan-22 17:11:01

Mamie

Boris Johnson said he didn't know what David Davis was talking about and didn't recognise the quote. ?
I would have thought that quote ought to have a bit of resonance for somebody who claims to be an expert on British history and Churchill (Cromwell to the Long Parliament then Leo Amery to Chamberlain).

He wrote a Churchill biography as well, so there’s no chance that he didn’t know the quote.

Yet another lie to add to all the others.

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jan-22 17:38:24

LauraNorderr

David Davis former leadership contender, former eu negotiator. former cabinet minister. Axe to grind perhaps? Future leadership ambition?
Todays display a non event.

No, he was impasssioned. I doubt he's got an axe to grind. Why would he?

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jan-22 17:41:18

Juicywords

Mamie

Boris Johnson said he didn't know what David Davis was talking about and didn't recognise the quote. ?
I would have thought that quote ought to have a bit of resonance for somebody who claims to be an expert on British history and Churchill (Cromwell to the Long Parliament then Leo Amery to Chamberlain).

He wrote a Churchill biography as well, so there’s no chance that he didn’t know the quote.

Yet another lie to add to all the others.

Apparently Johnson's method of writing his books is to gather a load of historians around him and ask lots of questions and he takes notes. He's planning a new book and the historians appear to be reluctant to meet with him.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 18:06:28

Lincslass

Dinahmo

No comments on the Tory MP crossing over to Labour? Seeing some earlier clips he didn't sound as though he would leave the Tories any time soon so he must have been very rattled by the comments of his constituents.

Yes, and let’s not forget if he stayed with the Tory Party he may well have lost his seat in May elections. Self preservation maybe?

No. It takes a lot of courage to do what he has done. It isn’t something that anyone does without thinking long and hard about it. A friend of mine, a Tory councillor, left the Conservative Party and joined the LibDems because he could no longer stomach their policies and he suffered a great deal of abuse, which he knew would happen.

Curlywhirly Wed 19-Jan-22 18:19:46

I also think the "wait for the Sue Gray report" quoted by numerous Tories is suspicious. Johnson was full of bravado today and I wonder if it's because he's just been given the nod that the report will find in his favour. Though how an invitation sent to 100 people with a request to BYO could possibly be a 'work meeting' is beyond me. It will be interesting to see how Sue Gray wiggles out of this one (if indeed she does).

JaneJudge Wed 19-Jan-22 18:21:55

How long will Sue take?

Shelmiss Wed 19-Jan-22 18:39:30

MayBee70

Lincslass

Dinahmo

No. It takes a lot of courage to do what he has done. It isn’t something that anyone does without thinking long and hard about it. A friend of mine, a Tory councillor, left the Conservative Party and joined the LibDems because he could no longer stomach their policies and he suffered a great deal of abuse, which he knew would happen.

Courage? I am absolutely livid about what Christian Wakeford’s done. I was one of the people in Bury South who voted for him, therefore I voted for the Tories, not Labour.

Not many are happy about what he’s done in Bury South I can tell you!

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 18:45:34

Are they truly happy with what Johnson has done?

love0c Wed 19-Jan-22 18:48:22

David Davis, well done! A conservative with guts. Shame he never wanted to be PM. Looks the part and sounds the part.

grannyrebel7 Wed 19-Jan-22 18:49:29

If I hear that name Sue Gray once more I will start screaming! I thought David Davis played a blinder with that wonderful quote. Regardless of what the enquiry comes up with I still don't think Boris will resign. He doesn't have the integrity and the longer this goes on people will tire of it and that's what he's banking on.

Lincslass Wed 19-Jan-22 18:50:28

Why didn’t Wakeford just resign. Voted in on a Tory win, not a Labour one.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Jan-22 18:59:12

Mr.Wakeford is one of a group of MPs who thinks if an MP changes sides it should automatically be a bi-election…

Shelmiss Wed 19-Jan-22 19:00:21

Kali2

Are they truly happy with what Johnson has done?

I’m assuming you mean the people of Bury South? No, I’m not happy with what Boris Johnson has done. But I’m truly appalled at what Wakeford has done. He’s saving his own skin in case he get’s voted out at the next election. He’s a self-serving hypocrite.

GillT57 Wed 19-Jan-22 19:04:01

I too think that Johnson's cockiness ebullience was because he knows the Gray report is nothing to worry about.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Jan-22 19:13:36

Oops auto correct *by-election

M0nica Wed 19-Jan-22 19:35:19

I didn't think David Davis made the best of his moment. He would never get work as an actor, he should have declaimed his example and pointed to the door, as he said 'For God's sake go'.

Boris was lying (again) when he said he did not recognise the quote. David Davis gave him the context, and if he is the scholar of modern history (and Churchill) that he claims to be, he _must- know the quote.

It is almost as well-known as Chamberlain's quote about bringing 'peace for our time' when returning from the trip to Germany where he had meetings with Hitler and signed the 'Munich Agreement.'