Gransnet forums

News & politics

PMQs

(154 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:06:57

Oh joy?.

Starmer on top form

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:22:58

Not sure about that one he is a bit like a stuck record a bit of a waste of questions

Visgir1 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:27:16

rosie1959

Not sure about that one he is a bit like a stuck record a bit of a waste of questions

Ditto.. Starmer and Blackford on Repeat. BJ isn't rattled.

Parsley3 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:30:38

I am watching. Have a full house on my Bingo card thanks to vaccine rollout, economic growth, youth employment, wait for Sue Gray report, billions, etc.

Parsley3 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:41:58

Ooph! David Davis asking the PM to resign.

westendgirl Wed 19-Jan-22 12:43:53

David Davis has clearly told Johnson that he should go. Loudly and clearly to great effect the former cabinet member gave a short statement but there was no doubting his anger, as he told Johnson he had been there too long.

westendgirl Wed 19-Jan-22 12:44:49

I don't think it was asking, but very very clearly telling.

J52 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:47:46

westendgirl

David Davis has clearly told Johnson that he should go. Loudly and clearly to great effect the former cabinet member gave a short statement but there was no doubting his anger, as he told Johnson he had been there too long.

Gosh he was as if he was his Dad telling him off! Impressive.

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:49:16

And now confirmation that all restrictions will be dropped next Thursday, as predicted. No mention of availability of tests and if they will be free and freely available.

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jan-22 12:49:18

An utter shambles. Chaos.

I don't know about Covid killing people, the suicide rate will increase along with starvation and the cold will kill many.

I've lost all confidence with the lot of them ! All they're doing is thoroughly enjoying themselves mudslinging while the country's going to rack and ruin.

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:56:57

David Davis 'for the love of God, man, GO'

and Ian Blackford 'operation save Big Dog has turned into a big dog's dinner'

Kali2 Wed 19-Jan-22 12:58:30

The 'lot of them' EllanVanim? Do you mean all the Tories, or all Politicians?

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:02:11

Kali2

I missed it. I was awake half of the night, couldn’t wait for PMQT and then lost concentration just before Davis spoke. I’ve just seen it on the news but it wasn’t the same as seeing it live!

Mamie Wed 19-Jan-22 13:02:22

Boris Johnson said he didn't know what David Davis was talking about and didn't recognise the quote. ?
I would have thought that quote ought to have a bit of resonance for somebody who claims to be an expert on British history and Churchill (Cromwell to the Long Parliament then Leo Amery to Chamberlain).

EllanVannin Wed 19-Jan-22 13:08:40

All politicians Kali2, once and for all. People off the street could do better !

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:10:39

MayBee70

Kali2

I missed it. I was awake half of the night, couldn’t wait for PMQT and then lost concentration just before Davis spoke. I’ve just seen it on the news but it wasn’t the same as seeing it live!

? always the way isn’t it

Mamie Wed 19-Jan-22 13:17:28

Not often I praise David Davis, but that was the best parliamentary moment since Geoffrey Howe and the dead sheep savaging.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:20:16

David Davis has done a couple of web chats on Dr Johns covid blog. He had a scientific background and must surely be critical of Johnson’s handling of the pandemic.

MerylStreep Wed 19-Jan-22 13:25:49

Funny old world isn’t it ( on here) when David Davis is now a poster boy of honesty when when he was negotiating with the eu he was portrayed as the devil incarnate. ?

GillT57 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:28:18

It was rather good today, and I was glad to see Starmer ramping it up a bit. But, Johnson was looking more confident, more cocky, so my thinking is that he knows he is about to be exonerated by the Sue Gray report. To my mind, the relaxation of the covid19 regulations is more likely to be to keep the Tory backbenchers at bay, rather then the virus. Johnson has, I suspect, made yet another pact with the devil and will survive. I do agree that other than Starmer, as Leader of HM Opposition, the continual requests for Johnson's resignation were a bit of a let down, and I feel that the questions could have been used to better effect such as in questioning what is planned to offset the terrifying increases in gas and electricity.

Mamie Wed 19-Jan-22 13:31:44

I think MerylStreep that his previous history made that moment of truth even more powerful. The significance of "in the name of God, go" will not be lost on MPs.

AGAA4 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:40:44

I don't think Johnson will go. He was full of confidence today and I'm surprised by some people I have spoken to who think he is being got at over nothing!
Starmer seemed more animated and I was glad to hear Davis come straight to the point and tell him to go.

He is right Johnson has been there too long.

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jan-22 13:49:53

No comments on the Tory MP crossing over to Labour? Seeing some earlier clips he didn't sound as though he would leave the Tories any time soon so he must have been very rattled by the comments of his constituents.

Petera Wed 19-Jan-22 13:53:35

MerylStreep

Funny old world isn’t it ( on here) when David Davis is now a poster boy of honesty when when he was negotiating with the eu he was portrayed as the devil incarnate. ?

Funny old world isn’t it ( on here) when David Davis is now the devil incarnate when he was negotiating with the eu he was portrayed as a poster boy of honesty. ?

Parsley3 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:53:38

The overuse of the Wait for the Sue Gray report mantra fills me with misgivings. My cynical self suspects that it is already known that it will contain no criticism of the PM. Time will tell.