Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has our country ever been in such a state?

(186 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:44:31

A senior Tory now urging other Tory MPs to report to the police because it appears that they were threatened with blackmail by the government for withdrawal of funding, public shame or boundary changes.

growstuff Thu 20-Jan-22 12:53:22

Dinahmo

Constituency funding is the reason why so many Tories gained the red wall seats, The govt has been depriving Labour controlled councils of funding for several years.

And still parts of the English public will not wake up to what the Tories are getting up to.

Absolutely correct! I live in one of the wealthiest constituencies in the country and we have benefitted from changes to the formula for funding, as have our schools, whereas more deprived areas have lost out. Most people blame their local council for cuts and don't realise it's because central government has cut their funding.

Dinahmo Thu 20-Jan-22 12:58:07

Being sure is just an opinion and not a fact.

In the past news and gossip spread quickly. James Gilray is a good example of someone whose political and social cartoons were disseminated through out the country at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th century. His cartoons were often more scurrilous than what we see now.

Pamphleteering during the mid 16th century - yet another means of spreading, especially about religious and political topics.

If you read 19th century novels you will often find references to newspapers being lent to various households.

Dinahmo Thu 20-Jan-22 13:02:44

Growstuff If only people, like some of the posters on here, took more notice of the news from a number of different sources perhaps, the country might be in a better position. I despair sometimes at their lack of knowledge and/or interest.

There's plenty of money available for Tory councils I think.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:24:23

Ah -

We are the denial stage at the moment. Johnson sees no evidence.

Next it will be apparently there is evidence but absolutely nothing to do with me

Then it’s I was aware but had no idea that it was against the rules.

Finally it will be subject to an enquiry n the hope it will all go away.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:33:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Curlywhirly Thu 20-Jan-22 13:39:38

This latest revelation by William Wragg is just disgusting! We are fast becoming a Banana Republic. What on earth is going on with our Government, is there no depth to which they won't sink? Corruption for all to see, yet Johnson hangs on. Just get rid.

Casdon Thu 20-Jan-22 13:43:16

GrannyGravy13 there are so many leaks it’s like a colander. I don’t think there’s just one source.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:45:09

Casdon

GrannyGravy13 there are so many leaks it’s like a colander. I don’t think there’s just one source.

You are probably correct.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:46:35

Oops sorry premature posting.

I think having a husband who works for a mainstream TV network is an easy outlet for leakage.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:48:01

As far as I can see and until they can prove otherwise, every single minister is complicit in the blackmail along with the spads.

Not a single one of them should be considered fit to lead the Tory party.

FarNorth Thu 20-Jan-22 14:04:40

How this link works. It shows Christian Wakeford speaking about being threatened that funding for a high school would not be given.

mobile.twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1484149149700341770

Lincslass Thu 20-Jan-22 15:07:35

No you can’t consider every Minister is complicit, although suits many on here to think so. What should be evidenced is proof of this , otherwise it is just he says etc. If true it is despicable, but can’t throw all into the same box.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 20-Jan-22 15:17:45

Lincslass

No you can’t consider every Minister is complicit, although suits many on here to think so. What should be evidenced is proof of this , otherwise it is just he says etc. If true it is despicable, but can’t throw all into the same box.

Wragg stated in his announcement this morning that Government ministers and spads had apparently taken part in blackmail.

It doesn’t suit me, I would much rather have a Tory government that was honest, competent and with integrity, that allowed me to oppose or support their policies rather than having to deal with all the rubbish.

As far as I am concerned, unless proven otherwise I consider none of them fit for government.

GillT57 Thu 20-Jan-22 15:27:21

Lincslass

I agree with your point, but surely by not speaking out, the other members of the cabinet are complicit? Too many people focusing on their own career progression rather than representing the very people who put them there.

Sarnia Thu 20-Jan-22 16:40:24

What on earth has to happen or be disclosed to make Johnson quit? I fear we are stuck with him. I don't believe one word he says anymore. He could tell me tomorrow is Friday and I would go and check the calendar.

growstuff Thu 20-Jan-22 16:48:57

FarNorth

How this link works. It shows Christian Wakeford speaking about being threatened that funding for a high school would not be given.

mobile.twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1484149149700341770

Another "red wall" Tory candidate said something similar before the last election - ie if you don't vote for me you won't get funding for promised improvements. Sorry, I can't remember which one it was. However, when funding for community projects was shared out last year, it was noticeable that it went to "strategic" constituencies.

I don't have proof, but it doesn't seem unlikely that funding is being allocated in this way rather on the need of constituencies.

Lincslass Thu 20-Jan-22 17:03:11

GillT57

Lincslass

I agree with your point, but surely by not speaking out, the other members of the cabinet are complicit? Too many people focusing on their own career progression rather than representing the very people who put them there.

Yes I agree, they need to speak out, otherwise the mess will continue, and Boris will carry on.

growstuff Thu 20-Jan-22 17:10:45

I wonder if one of them will wait until he (or she) is confident of being able to win the leadership and will then speak out.

EngTech Thu 20-Jan-22 17:27:50

If Boris goes, who will replace him?

Be careful what you wish for ?

MayBee70 Thu 20-Jan-22 17:29:59

At least we no longer have the embarrassment of Farage and Widdecombe representing us in the EU Parliament I suppose (trying to look on the bright side here….).

EllanVannin Thu 20-Jan-22 17:40:34

It's just been one big party since 2016. I'd like to bet that BJ got in under false pretences, but proving it when most of them are liars is difficult. I knew it would end in tears, I could see it coming. Any idiot could have taken us through the pandemic !
QT tonight should be interesting.

May the Raving Loony party reign. grin

Kali2 Thu 20-Jan-22 17:52:50

QT tonight for sure!

MayBee70 Thu 20-Jan-22 17:58:19

Currently listening to Rory Stewart being interviewed on Sky News. I may be a Labour supporter but I could weep when I think that the country could have had someone like him as PM. He’s in a different league to Johnson. He even admits that what he is saying is from a biased position having lost to Johnson in the leadership election.

growstuff Thu 20-Jan-22 18:01:14

EngTech

If Boris goes, who will replace him?

Be careful what you wish for ?

I'm under no illusion that the next PM would be fairly awful too.

However, I do think that, as a country, we should be led by somebody with moral/ethical values and Johnson is a disgrace. If he's allowed to stay I think it reflects badly on everybody who is prepared to ignore his lies and contempt for those he's supposed to be leading.

growstuff Thu 20-Jan-22 18:12:59

Message removed as it quotes a post that's been withdrawn.