Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian massing on the Ukrainian border

(544 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 21-Jan-22 10:30:08

So while our government is debating on what constitutes a party, how many parties may have been held a couple of years ago, there's a terrible threat to world peace going on at the edge of Europe. Anybody else noticed?

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 13:03:38

Ilovecheese

I think we should stay out of it. Let's not be dragged into another American adventure.

This time, the UK is totally alone and isolated in this. It would be suicidal to get involved.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 13:03:44

It’s the first item on BBC news, I’m watching it now. At last!

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 13:05:17

I don’t think we should get involved though. USA saying any movement across the border will be met with swift, severe, action. Very worrying.

LauraNorderr Fri 21-Jan-22 13:12:52

While Russia demands that Ukraine and other former Soviet states are excluded from NATO expansion we, the world have a problem.
Germany seems to be seeing things from only a German perspective ie gas supply. The rest of the EU member states will of course follow Germany, where their bread is buttered for the moment.
100,000 Russian troops on Ukraines border can’t be ignored for ever. Will Germany rely on the US to hold them back? A smart move economically but a dangerous risk. Surely at least Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania can see this.

LauraNorderr Fri 21-Jan-22 13:18:38

Putin will be desperate to destroy the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement which will increase the power of the EU and encroach on Russian power.

Gwyneth Fri 21-Jan-22 14:45:55

I think it’s about time the government were allowed to get on with other matters including the situation in the Ukraine. Prime Ministers Questions was a complete waste of time as it was the same repeat questions re ‘partygate’ . I’m completely fed up with it. Again most of the headlines in the newspapers today related to ‘partygate’ it’s as if nothing else is going on in the World.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:48:59

LauraNorderr

Putin will be desperate to destroy the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement which will increase the power of the EU and encroach on Russian power.

That's what is at the bottom of all this and has been brewing for years.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:50:30

Kali2

Ilovecheese

I think we should stay out of it. Let's not be dragged into another American adventure.

This time, the UK is totally alone and isolated in this. It would be suicidal to get involved.

That's because the EU, which is very much involved, is in disarray over this.
The UK should, I think, be keeping a very watchful eye but not get involved.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 14:50:45

I agree with that too Laura and Callistemon.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jan-22 14:53:36

This time, the UK is totally alone and isolated in this

As disgusted, dismayed and depressed as I am with the government in the UK, to say that we are totally alone and isolated in this is total, utter and complete balderdash. Read CNN, SKY, even the BBC for goodness sake but please, stop spouting utter cobblers.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:57:52

Kali have you forgotten about Flight MH17? That was in 2014.

Life sentences were demanded in December 2021 for the four accused suspects. I don't remember hearing anything since then.

Lincslass Fri 21-Jan-22 15:03:52

Pepper59

Don't expect the EU to do anything, the silence has been deafening. I don't think the UK government has even noticed. Yes, it's worrying but apart from someone waking up the PM and the rest of them, nothing can be done. Germany has sent a minister out to see what can be done. That's all I know. The Ukrainian Ambassador was on television recently, he's the only politician that seems worried. What's the point in us worrying about it? Except as in that famous quote from Game of Thrones, men go to war while politicians talk ( don't know if thats it exact) but very true. Compared to President Putin, our PM seems to be dozing.

Really, so we send troops and some to the Ukraine and the Gov knows nothing about it. What!!!!Been reading and hearing about it for a while, still I don’t just listen to the Beeb. What do you really expect us to do, go in on our own, NATO is involved we are members and will work with them
See the Independant for more .

Greyduster Fri 21-Jan-22 15:33:14

NATO expansionism has definitely got the Russians rattled. They have seen more and more former Soviet communist bloc countries enter as willing partners into the NATO fold, and Ukraine would like to be next. Being a major member of NATO, Britain will not just have woken up to the crisis on the Ukrainian border; the finger will have been on the pulse for some time.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Jan-22 15:41:46

Last-ditch US-Russian talks to avert a Russian invasion of Ukraine ended without agreement but diplomacy will continue for at least one more week, Russia's foreign minister has said.

winterwhite Fri 21-Jan-22 16:25:28

If we wanted a say in EU thinking and actions we should have stayed in the EU. As it is, what would those who want the UK to take action like to see done?
Ukraine is on the bcc news and in the newspapers. It's good to see this thread but can't agree that Ukraine has been ignored.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 18:53:28

I think it is the media that has been ignoring the Ukrainian situation as they kept on reporting partygate over and over. However, at last the media are reporting on the situation properly. The government have clearly been aware all along because our troops are in Estonia. Poland, and a few in Ukraine.

ExDancer Fri 21-Jan-22 19:09:39

Like dumpling I noticed RAF planes flying over the Lake District during the last few days of good clear weather - lots of them, and thought 'something's going on somewhere'. Its madness, you'd think we'd learn not to follow the USA into these pointless foreign wars after Iraq, Afganistan et al.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:55:19

ExDancer

Like dumpling I noticed RAF planes flying over the Lake District during the last few days of good clear weather - lots of them, and thought 'something's going on somewhere'. Its madness, you'd think we'd learn not to follow the USA into these pointless foreign wars after Iraq, Afganistan et al.

If it’s in Europe and is encroaching on European soil it is not a foreign war it is preserving all of our freedoms which our fathers and grandfathers gave their lives for.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:18:25

It's a different world now GG13- not armies fighting each other- but robots- nuclear ones too. Russia is in Europe, VERY close.

We always said that MAD would work, only until a mad psychopath or two get involved. A VERY dangerous time indeed.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:20:54

maddyone

I think it is the media that has been ignoring the Ukrainian situation as they kept on reporting partygate over and over. However, at last the media are reporting on the situation properly. The government have clearly been aware all along because our troops are in Estonia. Poland, and a few in Ukraine.

I think they were reporting this until Partygate got in the way, maddyone.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:22:57

ExDancer

NATO

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:29:49

Kali2

It's a different world now GG13- not armies fighting each other- but robots- nuclear ones too. Russia is in Europe, VERY close.

We always said that MAD would work, only until a mad psychopath or two get involved. A VERY dangerous time indeed.

We are a military family, I think I am aware of the different world probably more so than the majority.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jan-22 20:45:45

We are a military family, I think I am aware of the different world probably more so than the majority.

Nothing more irritating than someone trying to teach you to suck eggs is their GG13?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:49:58

Chewbacca

^We are a military family, I think I am aware of the different world probably more so than^ the majority.

Nothing more irritating than someone trying to teach you to suck eggs is their GG13?

Par for the course on GN

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 21:12:00

As a military family, and aware of MAD and the current situation- I would have thought you would not wish the UK to become involved, standing on their own.