Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nicola Sturgeon vows to start process of second independence referendum

(283 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 23-Jan-22 19:38:11

Asked by the BBC's Sophie Raworth this morning when the legislation would be tabled, Ms Sturgeon said: “The preparatory work for that is underway right now. We haven’t decided on the date that we would seek to introduce the Bill. We’ll decide that in the coming weeks.

“But my intention is to take the steps that will facilitate a referendum happening before the end of 2023."

She won’t give up. I think it’s a dead duck.
Any thoughts?

Esspee Mon 24-Jan-22 08:40:44

I feel proud every time I hear Nicola Sturgeon interviewed. She answers the questions and is well informed. The contrast with Boris is dramatic. He is an embarrassment to the country.

Lucca Mon 24-Jan-22 08:47:11

Esspee

I feel proud every time I hear Nicola Sturgeon interviewed. She answers the questions and is well informed. The contrast with Boris is dramatic. He is an embarrassment to the country.

I totally agree with that

I’m not commenting on her independence policy as I feel unqualified to do so

Lincslass Mon 24-Jan-22 08:51:32

Lucca

Esspee

You have every right to comment on Scottish Independance. If it occurs it will have a massive impact on the whole of the British Isles, and Northern Ireland. Or are we sassanachs not allowed to utter a word about it.

Mollygo Mon 24-Jan-22 08:51:51

I’d love Scotland to vote for independence.
Are any of the things above, soaring drugs, disastrous ferries, plummeting education a reason to deny them the option?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 24-Jan-22 08:53:33

Alegrias1

Oopsadaisy1

Will Scotland become Independent and then endeavour to be ruled by Brussels?

So we've had:

Can the English have a vote?
You can't rely on oil you know.
And
Do you want to be ruled by Brussels then?

Any more fatuous red herrings to get out of the way before we move on?

That was actually a serious question, will Independence mean a request to return to the EU and if it does, will Scottish voters still vote for Independence?

Marydoll Mon 24-Jan-22 08:53:44

Alegrias1

Oopsadaisy1

So we've had:

And

You forgot the one about us being subsidised by England. I read that somewhere on GN.

Petera Mon 24-Jan-22 08:59:52

Political Party fulfil manifesto commitment – shock, horror!

Petera Mon 24-Jan-22 09:04:23

Oopsadaisy1

Alegrias1

Oopsadaisy1

So we've had:

And

That was actually a serious question, will Independence mean a request to return to the EU and if it does, will Scottish voters still vote for Independence?

If it was a serious question then ask it in a serious way.

Kandinsky Mon 24-Jan-22 09:09:29

Never understood the whole ‘Scottish independence’ thing when most of Scotland want to rejoin the EU?
Gain independence from England on Thursday - ask Brussels on Friday if they can live by their rules.
Crazy.
But best of luck to them.

Petera Mon 24-Jan-22 09:09:43

Alegrias1

Oopsadaisy1

So we've had:

And

Putting sense and reason aside, it would probably be good for independence if England (and why does no-one ever say 'and Wales and NI'?) had a vote...

But of course many of the English people who want a say are exactly the same ones who said, in the EU referendum, 'but Lithuania should be able to vote on the UK leaving'.

Aren't they?

Daisymae Mon 24-Jan-22 09:09:52

As long as independence means just that - full fiscal and all that goes with it.

Petera Mon 24-Jan-22 09:11:43

Kandinsky

Never understood the whole ‘Scottish independence’ thing when most of Scotland want to rejoin the EU?
Gain independence from England on Thursday - ask Brussels on Friday if they can live by their rules.
Crazy.
But best of luck to them.

I know, get a divorce from an unhappy marriage and then later forge a successful partnership with someone else. Who has ever heard of that?

Lucca Mon 24-Jan-22 09:17:09

Lincslass

Lucca

Esspee

You have every right to comment on Scottish Independance. If it occurs it will have a massive impact on the whole of the British Isles, and Northern Ireland. Or are we sassanachs not allowed to utter a word about it.

I did not say I had no right to comment, I said I do not feel qualified to do so, I do not have enough political knowledge.

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:17:25

Its like I woke up and its 2014 again. ? But you're too wee, too poor, too stupid!!!

Marydoll - you got the "subsidised by England" comment, but in a roundabout way! 9:09.

Kandinsky Mon 24-Jan-22 09:21:05

So it’s not really independence you want, you just want rid of England & the English.
Who knew? grin
As I say, best of luck to you.

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:21:11

Gain independence from England

UK. Gain independence from the UK.

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:23:31

Kandinsky

So it’s not really independence you want, you just want rid of England & the English.
Who knew? grin

Oops, cross posts.

Paranoid, moi? said the English person.

I'll ask my English-born husband what he thinks. His mother seriously thought that she'd be sent back to England after having lived here for 60 years.

LilacChaser Mon 24-Jan-22 09:25:02

I wonder whether Scotland would have been able to afford their stricter covid restrictions had they already been independent when the pandemic occurred?

If independent, will they be able to afford to carry on in the same manner should we get worse occurrences in the future?

Not a criticism, just a thought.

Petera Mon 24-Jan-22 09:30:06

Kandinsky

Who knew? grin

No it's not getting rid of the English, we want rid of Gove too.

It's the right to make our own decisons, including those on forging and leaving partnerships.

At the moment Johnson has clearly said that he would deny us the right to even ask the question. Can you imagine the uproar if the EU had had the ablity to deny the UK the right to hold a referendum on leaving?

Yammy Mon 24-Jan-22 09:31:04

EngTech

Can England have a vote please ?

I think England should be given a vote and I think most SNP voters would be pleased with it. Who wants to be joined to a country that doesn't want to. Let Scotland go they can sort themselves out especially with Putin getting ever closer to Ukraine.
Let Ms Sturgeon add to yet more problems for her country to sort out alongside all those that already exist for the U.K.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:34:28

There is as much anti SNP propaganda on the internet as there is for all other U.K. parties. These were up this morning.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:36:17

I would be sad to see Scotland leave the union, but if that is what the majority vote for I hope it is successful for Scotland.

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:39:06

LilacChaser

I wonder whether Scotland would have been able to afford their stricter covid restrictions had they already been independent when the pandemic occurred?

If independent, will they be able to afford to carry on in the same manner should we get worse occurrences in the future?

Not a criticism, just a thought.

I think what has to be borne in mind is that Scotland would be a whole new country, a country of 5.4 million people which would have its own priorities. NZ had 5 million people, so does Denmark. Now each of these countries set their own rules for Covid. Other, smaller countries were equally able to set their own rules and finance them. None of these countries were sitting there saying that they wished they were still part of their historic, larger empires so that they could have more money. (Although maybe the European ones got EU help?)

So in the future, Scotland would be a proper country, financing its own decisions. That's why the comments about English subsidies and running out of oil are so inflammatory. Are we the only country in the world that can't run its own affairs? Are we the only people who are too stupid to do it? (I know some people think that we are, but best not dwell on that...)

Perhaps if we had been independent we could have closed our own borders more quickly; you know, the thing that so many people all over the UK have been calling for?

LilacChaser Mon 24-Jan-22 09:44:27

New Zealand is a good comparison. I'm not clear on the financing issue, so thanks for the clarification.

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 09:53:53

You're welcome LilacChaser. I never mind answering sensible questions. The yah boo sucks you're too wee and stupid ones, they get me a bit riled wink